PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Camping Alone

ifish4wildtrout
03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Do many of you backcountry camp alone?

My first solo trip is coming up soon and I am excited, but honestly, a little nervous about going out alone.

Speck Lover
03-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Do many of you backcountry camp alone?

ifish4wildtrout,

I've camped in the backcountry alone numerous times over the years without any problems. You will be exposed to far more danger driving to your destination than you will upon reaching it. Just make sure that you leave your itinerary with a friend or loved one, and fill out a NPS Backcountry Permit before heading out. From my experience, people camping alone in the backcountry who have had bad experiences primarily had them because of their poor planning and bad judgment. If you're not going to feel comfortable going by yourself, try finding a partner to go with you. You might even find someone from the board that's interested.

spotlight
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Just curious why your going alone? I have been in the backcountry alone with never any problems have even met some good people. Can you not find someone to go along with you? or you don't want to give up that secret spot....if you want some company e-mail me I'm game to go with you. I am heading up to Bryson place this weekend for 2 days of fishing on Deep Creek.

mora521
03-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I have always liked to backpack and fish alone especially on creeks that don't have trails or campsites along them.

gmreeves
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I've enjoyed it several times but after a few days, I get tired of hearing myself think and the woods seam to close in on me around the campfire. When that happens, I realize it is time to get back to civilization.

Crockett
03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I have been alone several times when there just wasn't anyone else at the backcountry campsite. At first I didn't like it but its really just a mental thing. I am much more comfortable with the idea now after having done it a few times.

Rog 1
03-25-2010, 10:09 AM
The first backpacking experiences I ever had were solo trips just because I wanted to do it...was used to fishing by myself and had gotten tired of having to hike into the same areas on multiple days...all my trips were either to CS 23 or 24 above Elkmont...both sites are on trails and within a couple of hours of the car but the ability to sleep in and be able to either step right into the stream or be fishing withing an easy 20 minute walk was enjoyable....first night I was by myself I was at #23 in a thunderstorm while reading the Hobbit...kept waiting for Bilbo and the others to show up wanting shelter from the rain...back then I was camping during the week and rarely saw another fisherman or camper....going to age myself here but there was no internet and any research on such things was done at the library...can remember the best line I ever read about keeping your pack weight down was that if you find yourself hollowing out the handle of your toothbrush you have gone too far...if you fish just don't take any unnecessary chances while wading and you will be fine...after a day or two you will start picking up on a lot of things you normally miss.

David Knapp
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
I go alone and enjoy the solitude...not something I do all the time but every once in awhile its nice to just get away by yourself. I've had people ask me if it worries me but honestly I don't really think about it and just have fun! Life is too short to worry...

flyman
03-25-2010, 10:18 AM
It's a good way to sharpen your senses :biggrin: You will be surprised how good your hearing will become when it gets dark:biggrin:http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/60614119_ed0e956e96.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/?action=view&current=60614119_ed0e956e96.jpg)

Knothead
03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Sounds like fun. I hunt and fish alone a lot. I enjoy the solitude. When looking for a place to hunt in the swamps of south Lousiana, I remarked to my friend that it seemed spooky there. He remarked that I'm probably safer in the swamps than in my own backyard.

ifish4wildtrout
03-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I appreciate all the replies. I feel better now.

I am looking forward to going alone just for the solitude, I feel the need to get away by myself.

I almost always fish alone and have spent many a day hiked way back and no other folks around. This has never bothered me, of course, it is during the day light hours.

As someone else said about the mental thing, I think that's what worries me a little. I am sure it does get a little creepy all alone at night, hearing noises and such.

old tom
03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Be sure to take a good book with you. Something not related to your work.

Elk riverrat
03-25-2010, 11:21 PM
I did it for years until I got carried off one night by Sasquatch.

Mundele
03-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I used to backpack alone quite a lot. I think it's good for you. It's interesting how the stuff you take for granted every day (where you're gonna get water, how much food you have, where you'll sleep, etc) becomes supremely important.

I need to make a solo trip soon, I think....

--Matt

Chuckwalla
03-28-2010, 05:05 PM
I've done it for years when I was younger, basically a loner at heart. But not so much anymore. It's still good to get out alone sometimes. I say enjoy.

mspaterick
03-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I go by myself most of the time because it is hard to find people that want to get out for more than a night or two. Everytime I go I still get a little nervous I guess it is like stage fright, but when I do get out there the nerves calm down.

Brandanf
04-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I just finished a 3 day camp/fishing adventure alone, I thought that it would be tough, but I really enjoined it.

My advice.. once it gets dark start reading a good book, once your eyes get heavy you forget about all the sounds outside and fall right to sleep.

BlueRaiderFan
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I prefer downing a pint of Grundy Counties finest corn whiskey (aged 2 months) and dozing off.

Oldman
04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I second that. Esp after a hard days fishing with a good meal and a nice size bow on a stick over the fire.

Sleep like a baby.

Crockett
04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
A nice cigar can help too. Bears and bad guys don't like the smell.