PDA

View Full Version : Clinch 3/25/10

psnapp
03-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Fished couple hrs in the rain this morning behind 2nd Baptist. First time in a long time that I got SKUNKED! Was throwing streamers on a sink tip and got no hits at all. Only saw one rise, although in the rain a rise would have been hard to detect. Anyone fishing around the Church and getting results? That was the only fishless outing I remember on that stretch of the Clinch, and I have fished that area since the mid-80's. Have I just lost the touch or are the fish still hibernating in that stretch?

Phil

waterwolf
03-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Fished couple hrs in the rain this morning behind 2nd Baptist. First time in a long time that I got SKUNKED! Was throwing streamers on a sink tip and got no hits at all. Only saw one rise, although in the rain a rise would have been hard to detect. Anyone fishing around the Church and getting results? That was the only fishless outing I remember on that stretch of the Clinch, and I have fished that area since the mid-80's. Have I just lost the touch or are the fish still hibernating in that stretch?

Phil

My thoughts:

Water temp two weeks ago was right around 40, not exactly ideal for fish to be ultra aggressive towards streamers. Rain/Clouds, the water stays colder as there is no sun warming the bottom up which causes the fish to be more active. If the water is off, why fish a sink-tip and streamers at the bridge? Just my opinion but there are more effective ways to fish that section of river. However, if you enjoy streamers and sink-tips have at it.

psnapp
03-25-2010, 04:28 PM
WW,

Sink-tip? I fish unweighted streamers and like to get 'em down at least a foot in a hurry. Also used an intermediate sink line as that section is not that deep. Oh well, just my preference.

I also like to midge with a 4-wt floating line. Guess I shoulda tried that, too, but with the rain coming down steadily, just didn't take the time to trek back to vehicle to re-rig.

Thanks for the feedback, though! Maybe I just need to adjust more!

Phil

waterwolf
03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey, if that is what you like, then more power to you. If it works, then by golly, nail them to the wall with it.

No Hackle
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Sometimes fish just dont eat, could be the fullmoon, maybe you just wasnt holding your mouth right. That area gets hammered and now that the weather nice its getting more pressure. Maybe just by scaling your streamer down or up might be the ticket or try dead drifting them. Thats why its called fishing and not catching, that makes up for the days when you cant do anything wrong. You know those days when your fly is drifting below you while your in one of your vest pockets and it gets hammered by a 16". Oh well youll get next time.
Lynn

waterwolf
03-26-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know about y'all but when I go to the river, I go catching;)

No Hackle
03-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Thats what I'm talkin about

ChemEAngler
03-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Made it out today from 3:00 till 5:30, and managed to catch 4. They were very tough again today. I would watch for a consistently rising fish and have to put it right on his nose before he would take. The first fish probably required 20+ drifts before it finally took my blackfly larva. The others didn't require as much effort, but still demanded a perfect presentation.

Water temp was 42 degrees, and the wind was brutal for strike detection. Made for a tough day, but at least I got the skunk off after last trip.

MadisonBoats
03-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Fished the Clinch today from about 5-8. The fish were steadily rising for small flies. I had a hard time getting them to turn on for the first hour. After I moved up to a better spot; I was able to throw laterally and drift some Clinch Midges in to their lap. I had tried red midges, zebra midges, bhpt before this try and I finally got them on the Clinch Midge. I had one break me off and then the rest were small.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=408