PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help

5wt
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Guys,
My father-in-law is in town to visit from Mississippi and he wants to go fly fishing. I am a fly fishing junky but most of my time is spent in the mountains. I have only been on the clinch a few times with my first trip being the really only sucessful outing. He is a tailwater guy and not really a mountain stream man. I think I will try to take him to the clinch tomm. but was going to see if you guys had any pointers for me. I would like to show him a good time and put a few fish on the end of his line. Any pointers yall may have I would appreciate. Maybe just a few flies that are solid this time of year on the clinch.

Rodonthefly
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
5 wt, go to millers island pick a side, fish midges, and g nats.

BlueRaiderFan
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I wore them out on an orange doc's cork last time I was there.

MadisonBoats
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
First of all; I hope you guys just have a great time! I would try and get everything together tonight and make a list of things you need. Also, if you have not fished in a while; you might want to stretch out your line at home and put new leaders and tippet on. Make sure you tippet is nice and straight.

The river is very cold; so the fish are not aggressive and are pretty much stuck in their drifts. Work on spotting the good holes and let your midge or bhpt drift in to it. Probably the best technique right now is to drift down stream and let your fly wiggle with the drift in the hole. Not typical fly fishing; but, it works.

Red midges, blood worms, and bhpt are hitting. Black flies are active and working well with a dropper. I have been fishing them with a small caddis fly and to a black fly.

If you want some size fish; throw some streamers in some of the deeper pools.

*Also, you should try and get out there early and be at the waters edge in the spot you have chosen when the water starts coming down.

**One spot that is just hammering them is the hole right out front of the upper canoe launch. Sorry fellas; just wanting to help this guy have a good time.

Feel free to send me an email if you have any more questions. Also, you can have my number in case you get in to any issues and need some help.

Carlito
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I think Shawn's advice about getting out there early is important (much more so than in the mountains). It is gonna be a nice day tomorrow, so there will be a lot of people fishing. Don't be surprised if you get to the river at 7:00 and there are already people on the water...

Don't forget to pack a couple sandwiches and some cold beers! ;)

5wt
03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
I really apprecite all the help yall have given me. I just checked the generation schedule and it appears the morning is out of question. I guess now if somebody could tell me if they quit generating at noon what time will the river be wadeable up around millers island? I guess we will give them a run tomm. afternoon. If you see a guy out there untangling his line stop by and talk, its probally me. Ha. Hope to get out there and enjoy the day tomm. Thanks again for all the help. This people on this site are number 1 in my book. I hope that one day I will be able to help someone else out. Thanks, Brian

stevee71
03-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I am not sure of the time but I do know it goes down quick at Millers Island probaly within an hour.

MadisonBoats
03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I really apprecite all the help yall have given me. I just checked the generation schedule and it appears the morning is out of question. I guess now if somebody could tell me if they quit generating at noon what time will the river be wadeable up around millers island? I guess we will give them a run tomm. afternoon. If you see a guy out there untangling his line stop by and talk, its probally me. Ha. Hope to get out there and enjoy the day tomm. Thanks again for all the help. This people on this site are number 1 in my book. I hope that one day I will be able to help someone else out. Thanks, Brian

You can take my boat and drift if you want. I will drop you guys off and pick you up. Shoot me an email early Sat. if you are interested...

tjw37909
03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I am hitting the Clinch nest Tuesday, and it will be my first time fly fishing anything other than mountain streams. I have tied a few size 18-20 zebra, red zebra, and other midges along with some bhpt's the same sizes. I would like to run a dry/dropper rig if it gets warm and need some advice on dries to take. Also, I plan on using my 8.5ft 5wt TFO. I always use 7.5ft leaders in the park. What size and length leaders would be best. I am guessing I should step up to a 9ft at least. Thanks for any help.

ChemEAngler
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
I am hitting the Clinch nest Tuesday, and it will be my first time fly fishing anything other than mountain streams. I have tied a few size 18-20 zebra, red zebra, and other midges along with some bhpt's the same sizes. I would like to run a dry/dropper rig if it gets warm and need some advice on dries to take. Also, I plan on using my 8.5ft 5wt TFO. I always use 7.5ft leaders in the park. What size and length leaders would be best. I am guessing I should step up to a 9ft at least. Thanks for any help.

I typically use 9' leaders with 3' of tippet on the Clinch, but yesterday they were very selective and required a 12' leader with 3' of 6X fluoro. Also, just unless you really really want to fish a dry, I wouldn't waste my time with it. Just use a little poly yarn indicator and a double nymph rig will get you much more fish than using a dry dropper. At least that is my opinion.

5wt
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
We fished for several hours saturday after lunch. We had a great time on the river. I was able to bring 6 bows and 3 browns to hand. My father-in-law caught 8 bows and 2 browns. It was a great day on the river. We met a nice man on the river who gave us a few midges and that ended up doubling our catch. It is people like him who define fly fisherman. Thanks again guys for all the help.

DBKSTONE2
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
We fished for several hours saturday after lunch. We had a great time on the river. I was able to bring 6 bows and 3 browns to hand. My father-in-law caught 8 bows and 2 browns. It was a great day on the river. We met a nice man on the river who gave us a few midges and that ended up doubling our catch. It is people like him who define fly fisherman. Thanks again guys for all the help.

That was me and you are more than welcome. I try to pay it forward. When I am on an unfamiliar water I hope someone helps me out. I hope the "bugs" worked OK for you. I tied them myself so they are pretty ugly. I hope your father in law comes back soon.

5wt
03-29-2010, 06:32 PM
DBKSTONE2
Thanks again for helping us out. We had a great time and your midges might be ugly to you but the fish loved them. My father-in-law went on and on about how nice a guy you were. We were both shocked at your kindness to a stranger. He will be back during the summer I know. He went ahead and bought a non-resident annual. My father is coming up at the end of april. I bought him a fly rod and vest for Christmas, I now just have to get him hooked. I hope to see you on the river again one day.

Thanks Again, Brian Martin