PDA

View Full Version : Korkers Questions

Dancing Bear
03-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have the Torrent wading shoe? Would you hike 5-6 miles with a 20-30 lb. pack in them?
Thanks.

Mike

pineman19
04-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Hello,

I don't have the Torrent series boot, but I have been using the older style Wetland boots for a few years for day hiking to remote locations and they have held up pretty well. Better than carrying the extra weight of separate wading boots IMO.

Neal

tjw37909
04-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I bought a pair of Korkers boots this past October, and they are already ruined. I fish 2 days a week usually, and 2 months ago all the stitching around the toe was worn so bad the boots were falling apart. I contacted Korkers and they said that it was wear/tear and not covered in warranty. I tried shoe goo, which is holding the stitching ok, but now the soles randomly come out on their own, and I have taken them out less than 10 times. As soon as I get the money saved up I will get some Simms or something that will last. The Korhers are very comfortable, and the idea behind the soles is great, but I ca't spend a hundred every 4 months on boots.

WVBrookie
04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm on my second pair of Torrents and absolutely love them!! I have literally a couple hundred miles on this pair. I have completed backcountry trips in GSMNP, SNP, RMNP, and YNP. The max I have done in a day is about 15 miles while fishing Timber Creek and Timber Lake in RMNP. I put over ten miles on them this past weekend in GSMNP.

A couple of recommendations:

Ditch the Korkers insole and replace it with Dr. Scholls Gel inserts.
Buy the Aquastealth sole and you never have to change the sole.
Buy them and you will absolutely not be disappointed!

Chris

Grannyknot
04-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I bought a pair of Korkers boots this past October, and they are already ruined...........................The Korhers are very comfortable, and the idea behind the soles is great, but I ca't spend a hundred every 4 months on boots.

I can second TJW's sentiments. I bought some cross current boots and they were having the same problems he described in less than a year. I don't even get to fish near as much as TJW.

Per Byron's request, I brought them by the shop to let Daniel take a look at them. Daniel called Korkers right in front of me, and a less than friendly account rep told him the issue was considered normal wear and tear and they could fix it for a charge + shipping & time.

I realize they have cornered the market on a neat idea, but there's no need to take a dump on customer service when there is an obvious quality issue with their product. Most of my friends have worn Simms & Patagonia boots for years without any of the issues I have with mine.

That being said, I'm fairly disappointed with them, and I think I'll look to another company when I can afford new boots.

Carlito
04-07-2010, 04:55 PM
To add to the Corkers issue and Grannyknot's cust service experience... I have a close friend that has experienced a similar issue with his Patagonia wading boots (stitching issue). He contacted Patty cust service. The result? A brand new pair of boots. No charge for repairs. No shipping. That's the way it ought to be. Build a quality product and stand behind it. Don't nickel and dime your customers.

BTW, I have a pair of Riverwalkers and love them. Can hike for miles, no problem.

Knothead
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
tjw, have you tried a shoe repair shop to see if anything can be done.

Carlito
04-14-2010, 04:15 PM
tjw, have you tried a shoe repair shop to see if anything can be done.

Ah, the cobbler. A relic of another time when people actually fixed things instead of throwing them away to buy a new one. Makes you think, don't it?

Knothead
04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Carlito, we have had a shoe repair shop here in Cleveland for several years. Smalley's at 423-472-9545, if anyone is interested.

Grannyknot
04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
My issue is not how to fix the boots, but why I should have to after 15-20 uses in 9 months.

Carlito
04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
My issue is not how to fix the boots, but why I should have to after 15-20 uses in 9 months.

Heard that. Total b.s.

schitzngigglz
04-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Simms's Pursiut shoes?

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/pursuit_shoe.html

Or some of the Merrell water shoes?

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-gb/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/15667M/0/Mens/Waterpro-Gauley?galleryId=M-F

Carlito
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
No experience with either of those, but IMHO your normal wading boots with wading socks or a thick wool sock (if you don't want to invest in wading socks) are the best bet for wet wading.

I went fishing with a buddy that was trying out a pair of the Teva river shoes for wet wading, and he was slippin all over the place. Ended up bashing his shin when he slid off of one rock into another.

I've had good success fishing in my Chacos, but you have very little foot protection. You're almost guaranteed to end up with a bashed toe, and really the traction isn't all that good. I don't have a pair, but seems like the Keen river sandals are a better bet because they are open but still cover the toe. I would want a shoe that is either going to prevent gravel/sand/grit from getting in (such as your wading boots w/ the simms wading socks) or be open enough to let that stuff just flush out.

LRO has a pretty good selection of nifty looking wet wading shoes, but I'm stickin' with my boots :)

ChemEAngler
04-16-2010, 01:57 PM

I have to say I am a bit surprised by this. I have had my Cross Currents for about 16 months, and worn them probably 30 times. Used the Kling-On soles for 80% of those trips. So far have not even had even a thread come loose to trim off. Very pleased with mine, and wonder if you just got a bad pair.

Rog 1
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I do a lot of back country fishing that has included packing in to set up a base camp for fishing...I have used Bean's Aquastealth wading boots for years now....comfortable shoe to hike in with and find that they are as good as felt to fish in....nothing is 100% slip proof on our rivers and creeks...

PeteCz
04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I have to say I am a bit surprised by this. I have had my Cross Currents for about 16 months, and worn them probably 30 times. Used the Kling-On soles for 80% of those trips. So far have not even had even a thread come loose to trim off. Very pleased with mine, and wonder if you just got a bad pair.

I've had mine for three years, hiked well over a hundred miles in them and fished at least 60 times, and the only issue I have had is that one of the small grommet/water vents has worn off/popped out.

They've been excellent for me...

tjw37909
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Knothead, I spoke to several shoe repair shope, and they all said they could not repair the stitching problems I had. I found my solution yesterday.........Smoky Mountain Angler had last seasons boots on sale half price so I bought 2. I got a pair of Simms Freestone Felt bottoms for 50 dollars and a pair of Simms Guide felt bottoms for 65 dollars. They have very little exposed stitching overall and no exposed stitching on the toes. I slathered the old Korkers in Shoe Goo and am keeping them as spares. I will be on thta tv show "Hoarders" one day for keeping every pair of boots I get.

James Buice
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi guys,

I've not heard of the Cross Current boots coming apart and I've sold many of these boots as the sales rep for Korkers in the southeast. If you would, PM me on here or email me at strangetrout at gmail.com I'd like to get this taken care of. Sorry for my delayed response, hard to keep up with everything at once. I want to make sure you guys are taken care of.

Best,
James

I just spoke with the Korkers and they wanted me to post this from our Customer Service Rep

Dear Littler River Forum,

I have read through the comments posted about Korkers Cross Current Boots and as one of
the main Customer Service Representatives at Korkers I wanted to let you know that your
experience with Korkers is not typical. We have been praised by most over the years for our
customer service and we work hard to make sure customers are happy with their Korkers purchase.
I wanted to reach out to the last couple posters and let them know that has a Korkers product for less than one year and has
experienced stitching failures or failures of any kind, it is covered under Korkers Warranty with proof of
purchase. If you have a product issue or would like to speak to us about the Warranty, I would ask that you call
Korkers and ask for me directly so that we can take care of you.

Thank you,

Sam Houser
Korkers
Customer Service Representative