PDA

View Full Version : Winston IM6 repair

adirondack46r
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I also posted this question in the "classics" discussion area also. Anyway, I have an IM6 that has a serial number that indicates it was manufactured in the early 90s. I bought it used, replaced the reel seat and hardware, and subsequently broke the tip and purchased a replacement (and a spare). Well recently I have put some pretty nasty gashes in the butt section so I am thinking about having it repaired and putting it into semi retirement. The finish is gouged but the carbon fibers do not seem to be compromised. Can the finish be repaired? Does Winston need to do it?

Thanks,
46r
Edit/Delete Message

Knothead
04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
The finish could be repaired with a coat of epoxy like Glex-Coat or Threadmaster. But, it's hard to say what damage would be done to the fibers without closely looking at it. You might ask Winston what/if they would charge just to look at it to see what damage has been done. If it's repairable, they should give you a cost of the repairs. If fibers are cut, not a lot can be done, IMHO. Good luck!

adirondack46r
04-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks knothead. I think that's what I'll do. Winston has done great work every time I have sent it back. I have probably already spent more than the cost of a new rod on this one, but at this point it's a really special rod that I hope to pass down to the grand kids.

adirondack46r
04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Just to close the loop on this, I talked with Winston and they said that they will re-coat the butt section for $25. Of course they offered to replace the butt section for $250. I thought about it for about a millisecond (I bought the rod used) and requested the re-coat. I'll probably slip off a rock the next time I'm out and bugger it up all over again. ;-)