PDA

View Full Version : Clinch: Sulpher Hatch

Rodonthefly
04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Do you all think it will be a good one this year? I'm wondering how all the high water from this past winter will effect it.

Do you think it will start off better on the lower end and work its way up river as it has in years past?

I personally can't wait and was wondering what you guys think?

ChemEAngler
04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Terrible year, none are left after all the high water. I hear they all moved to the Holston, may want to try over there this year..... :biggrin:

Rodonthefly
04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah I do hear it's good on the soho. oh well i don't have the gas money to go there, so i guess i better stick to waterwolfs pt and v rib midge on the clinch.;)

pineman19
04-09-2010, 04:17 PM
The few sulphurs I have seen have been very scrawny, hardly worth eating:rolleyes:

Wilson10
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
sulfur /sul·fur/ (sul“fer) [L.] a chemical element, at. no. 16, symbol S; it is a laxative and diaphoretic and is used in diseases of the skin.

Why are you all excited for Sulfer?:biggrin:

Rodonthefly
04-12-2010, 03:25 PM
sulfur /sul·fur/ (sul“fer) [L.] a chemical element, at. no. 16, symbol S; it is a laxative and diaphoretic and is used in diseases of the skin.

Why are you all excited for Sulfer?:biggrin:

I like the way it smells

ChemEAngler
04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
From the number of posts with pics of large Clinch trout being posted, looks like I will definitely have to stick to midweek fishing until after the hatch is over. Best thing about the hatch ending in early July typically is that probably half of the people who show up to fish the Clinch vacate the area when #20 midges are the standard fare.

My favorite days to fish the sulfur hatch are days when the weather is overcast and drizzly. Keeps the fair weather fishermen off the water and makes the big fish a little less spooky.

ChemEAngler
04-16-2010, 10:11 PM
On a side note, I encourage everybody who may venture out to the Clinch this year to partake in the upcoming sulfur hatch to please, please carry the TWRA poacher hotline pre-programmed into your cell phone. I was talking to a guy the other day who had no idea that there was even a slot limit on the Clinch, and said that he has been keeping 7 fish regardless of what size they are. :mad: I informed him of the change and that it has been in effect for two years now, so I hope that he doesn't continue on his previous path.

If the slot limit truly is working, we should continue to see quality fish coming out of the Clinch. With them being most vulnerable during the sulfur hatch. I don't know if an aggressive meat fisherman will be able to release an 18 or 19" bow or brown after landing it. Not to mention the blatant disregard of any regs around Miller's Island that happens on a regular basis.

This is my home water, and I am protective of it. I fish this river year round as well as others on this forum. I understand other rivers in the area are having a down year, and I don't fault visitors for making their way to this river to enjoy the sulfur hatch that occurs. Just please remember that the Clinch is the home water to many people in this area, and I ask you to treat it the way you would expect visitors to treat whatever river you call home.

I encourage everybody who may take the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful resource we have to practice sound fishing habits. If you catch a good fish and want a picture, make it quick and try not to lay in on the rocks to get a pic. That is not good for the fish, a simple one handed grip while trying to keep the fish somewhat submerged is ideal. But most importantly, try to be courteous to one another and report any violations you see immediately to TWRA.

Hotline 1-800-831-1174

Tight Lines

Rodonthefly
04-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Well said Travis well said, I on one hand am guilty of laying them on rocks to snap a quick pic. I guess thats a bad habit I need to break

pineman19
04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Travis,

I have no problem with putting TWRA's # in my phone, the only problem is, will it do any good. As someone pointed out in another thread the meat fishermen are their bread and butter. Times are tough for state agencies right now, I know since I am one of them and my job is on the line right now.I have fished the Holston (Nances Ferry) and Clinch quite a few times over the last 3 seasons and I haven't seen a TWRA officer one time. Obviously enforcement is not a priority for them or they would be addressing the issues around Millers Island and other areas. A person also to be careful turning someone in, they could be putting themselves into a precarious position especially if they're the only ones around the poachers. TWRA doesn't impress me too much, don't ask me how I know that, but I deal with them on a pretty regular basis and am quite aware of their mentality. In the end they are responsible for enforcing the regulations.

Neal

stuart
04-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I have been fishing the upper Tenn tailwaters for I guess 7 yrs and been checked twice. They are a week apart, samre officer within 20ft on the road of where I was checked last. Both times I was putting gear in the truck to move to anoter place. That is it, I have seen them a fe wmore times. One time I walked close enough to shake hands of one and he didn't even speak. IMO Tenn is doing a much better job than VA but they have some great rivers to protect and should.

STU

ChemEAngler
04-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Travis,

I have no problem with putting TWRA's # in my phone, the only problem is, will it do any good. As someone pointed out in another thread the meat fishermen are their bread and butter. Times are tough for state agencies right now, I know since I am one of them and my job is on the line right now.I have fished the Holston (Nances Ferry) and Clinch quite a few times over the last 3 seasons and I haven't seen a TWRA officer one time. Obviously enforcement is not a priority for them or they would be addressing the issues around Millers Island and other areas. A person also to be careful turning someone in, they could be putting themselves into a precarious position especially if they're the only ones around the poachers. TWRA doesn't impress me too much, don't ask me how I know that, but I deal with them on a pretty regular basis and am quite aware of their mentality. In the end they are responsible for enforcing the regulations.

Neal

Neal,
I have to say I don't agree with your logic. To me poaching is stealing. Bottom line, plain and simple. By your logic if I were to see somebody breaking into my neighbors apartment I shouldn't call the police. If TWRA elects to respond or not is their decision. To me it is a moral obligation to at least report the incident. For all we know TWRA is keeping a record of instances and developing a plan for selective license checks. I was told that immediately after the Clinch regs were implemented there was a surge in TWRA presence at the weir dam, which has no completely vanished.

I too have never been checked on the Clinch in 15 years of fishing there, but that doesn't mean that I will turn a blind eye when I see somebody doing something illegal. I am not asking you to confront the person, just provide a description of the person or vehicle and what type of illegal activity you witnessed. It's not like TWRA is going to come in there sirens blazing and confront the guy immediately. However, if you provide a vehicle license plate then maybe TWRA has the forethought to note the reports and approach that person if they see the vehicle in the future.

pineman19
04-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Travis, I understand and appreciate your frustration with the poaching on the Clinch. The fact that you haven't been checked in 15 yrs. shows the real problem.

Neal

Waterborn
04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Travis
I agree wholeheartedly - the operative phrase being "moral obligation"...unfortunately we are living in a society with a increasing not-my-problem, do-what-feels-right mentality...
Enforcement may not be a priority because people don't report violations more often- maybe the reasoning is "if everything seems okay, why bother?"....unfortunately it may be more of a reactive enforcement that proactive.
So is it possible that if we do show more concern, it will increase TWRA's responsiveness? I'd hope so... though it sounds like there has always been some ongoing stuggle/concern with the management and public opinion in some shape,form, or fashion.
I admit, I really don't know how TWRA or TVA operates with all its history and issues - guess I should be more informed. But at the very least, I can do my initial small part: I pay for all required licenses and have that hotline number plugged in...

MadisonBoats
04-18-2010, 04:22 PM
I have not been checked by TWRA in the last 25 years on the Clinch. I fish it more than most 75+ trips a year.... So sad to see money put in to the stocking programs and huge numbers in the fish that get obliterated in the first few months after release. Most of the fish mongers get out of my way when I launch so that I do not see their stock; I will take pics and call TWRA right in front of them. People are idiots. Everyone knows you have to have a license and you need a trout stamp for trout fishing. The slot signs are everywhere and it is the fisherman's job to be aware of any regulations in the area they are fishing....

tennswede
04-18-2010, 04:35 PM
This is slightly off topic but since this thread is gravitating towards unlawful activities on trout streams, I thought I would mention this. I found an opened can of corn sitting right on the railing at the first bridge upstream of North River Campground. I am not surprised, I run in to discarded worm containers and such fairly regularly. Most of the time it's on National Forest land, not so much on NPS land. It is always a sad sight. I also carried out a full plastic bag of junk from another stream yesterday.

waterwolf
04-18-2010, 10:05 PM
This is slightly off topic but since this thread is gravitating towards unlawful activities on trout streams, I thought I would mention this. I found an opened can of corn sitting right on the railing at the first bridge upstream of North River Campground. I am not surprised, I run in to discarded worm containers and such fairly regularly. Most of the time it's on National Forest land, not so much on NPS land. It is always a sad sight. I also carried out a full plastic bag of junk from another stream yesterday.

I thought North River was a NFS area?

tennswede
04-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Waterwolf,

Most of the time it's on National Forest land, and?

Grannyknot
04-19-2010, 08:35 AM
North River = single hook artificial only.

Last time I was up there I saw a few green giant cans laying around.

waterwolf
04-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Waterwolf,

Most of the time it's on National Forest land, and?
I gathered from your post that you were referring to it as a NPS stream, that is all. No big deal, just trying to clarify things in my little brain.

tennswede
04-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Waterwolf,

I understand, my grammar is not the best, I should have clarified that I was referring to the litter being mostly on NFS streams. At least that's what I have found so far, although I sprung up on an entire KFC take out dinner above Huskey Gap on Little River a couple of summers ago. Sorry for straying from the subject at hand, but it's a little disheartening to pick up all this trash. I got a whole plastic bag full of socks, bottles, wrappers, and misc, items from an otherwise nice mountain stream saturday (not North River). Point is, even the less travelled streams are littered.