PDA

View Full Version : Clinch bow

fourx
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
8.5lbs, 28.5" bow caught by a friend above the weir dam on the Clinch awhile back. 3wt. 6X #18bhpt.
So, ya'll just stay up there, that's where they're at.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4522292970_349342f563.jpg

4X

flyred06
04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
That is one awesome bow. Man I would love to hooked that monster before he became a wall plaque. Congrats.

Worrgamesguy
04-14-2010, 11:00 PM
"Awhile back." What, the late 80s or early 90s? Haha picture looks old to me.

mcfly
04-15-2010, 12:00 AM
You forgot to add GPS coordinates.

ChemEAngler
04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Oooo oooo, can I play too?

My dad's brother's cousin's friend Guillermo caught this one recently on the Holston River. 33" and 16 lbs. Took a #26 woolly bugger fished on a 3wt with a 28' 2X leader......

I have never seen a rainbow with that coloration before!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=423

:biggrin:

If the fish really was caught out of the Clinch and recently, then congrats to your friend. Unfortunately, that last statement about how people should stay above the weir dam just sounded way too diversionary.

gmreeves
04-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Oooo oooo, can I play too?

My dad's brother's cousin's friend Guillermo caught this one recently on the Holston River. 33" and 16 lbs. Took a #26 woolly bugger fished on a 3wt with a 28' 2X leader......

I have never seen a rainbow with that coloration before!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=423

:biggrin:

If the fish really was caught out of the Clinch and recently, then congrats to your friend. Unfortunately, that last statement about how people should stay above the weir dam just sounded way too diversionary.

Sorry dude. They don't stock cutthroat in the Clinch. I know you're lying. Look at the gill pates.

fourx
04-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Yes, it was caught on the Clinch above the weir. It was caught in 2005. I didn't catch it cause I release everything. Unfortunately I couldn't persuade my redneck buddy to release it.
But the point is: Stay above the weir, that's where the biguns are.
No fish at all of any size below Miller's island.

4X

chad134
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
why is it that ANY PERSON THAT KEEPS A FISH IS ALWAYS A REDNECK? I ALWAYS KEEP ONE OR TWO TO EAT CAUSE TROUT AT THE STORE IS ABOUT $12/POUND.:cool:

waterwolf
04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Someone has to be hard up for food to consider trout good IMO.

I remember when he caught that fish, to my knowledge that is the largest fly caught rainbow ever taken on the Clinch. Bone had one on one day that was over 24", Scott caught one 24.5", and my biggest is just under 24". I also Bone had a client that had some beast of a rainbow on that was well over 26" but broke the guy off right at the boat.

My point is that over 20+ years fishing and guiding on the Clinch and landing who knows how many thousand trout, rainbows over 22" are very uncommon.

Browns not so much, but anything over 30" on a fly has yet to happen to the best of my knowledge. I have touched several right around or at 30" but never anything over that big.

A rainbow like the one above is done, dead at home, or dead in the river, it is all the same IMO.

I did find a rainbow dead behind Lewellen Island when I was a teenager that was 26", which had a big heron wound in his back, my guess is he was dying already and the heron was just trying to help him along.

fourx
04-15-2010, 10:56 PM
why is it that ANY PERSON THAT KEEPS A FISH IS ALWAYS A REDNECK? I ALWAYS KEEP ONE OR TWO TO EAT CAUSE TROUT AT THE STORE IS ABOUT $12/POUND.:cool:
No, he's just a redneck.
Like me!

4X

Grannyknot
04-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Someone has to be hard up for food to consider trout good IMO.

I guess some people may like the taste, but taste is exactly what I find it lacks. For the amount of hassle & time it takes to lug around a dead fish on a stringer, filet/gut/prep the fish, and cook it, I have always found myself disappointed. Especially so when it comes to pellet bellies.

Carlito
04-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I guess some people may like the taste, but taste is exactly what I find it lacks. For the amount of hassle & time it takes to lug around a dead fish on a stringer, filet/gut/prep the fish, and cook it, I have always found myself disappointed. Especially so when it comes to pellet bellies.

I like 'em. Guess I'm just a fishy guy. I do have to admit that the Park fish are tastier than the stockers. You really can taste the difference.

hw3
04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Best is the one you take for breakfast and it is in the pan w/in no more than 2 min. Watson