PDA

View Full Version : Biggest so far on the clinch

Rodonthefly
04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab53/ClinchRiverflyfishing/biggestsofar-1.jpg

Caught this guy last night.

waterwolf
04-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Nice looking brown, appears to be around 18" based on the rod. Congrats.

Rodonthefly
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Nice looking brown, appears to be around 18" based on the rod. Congrats.

I ment biggest this year. And yes he was around 18". caught one last year while i was guiding a guy, yeah he wanted me to fish also that was 28"

waterwolf
04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I ment biggest this year. And yes he was around 18". caught one last year while i was guiding a guy, yeah he wanted me to fish also that was 28"
Fishing while guiding, never did in all the years I guided. No matter how much they begged and pleaded. Too much going on and not kosher IMO for the guide to fish. Our job is to help others catch fish, not show them fish. Just a tip if you are planning on being a full time guide. If the word gets out you fish as well, times can be tough.

Carlito
04-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Nice fish!!!

Did you mean 18"? I know there are 28"+ fish in the Clinch, but those bad boys are not common at all. 28" is A LOT of fish...

Grannyknot
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Good lookin fish Rodney.
Reminds me that I forgot to call you back last night....yes I am interested in those feathers.

Rodonthefly
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
No, joke Carl, I couldn't beleave it for my self, I thought it was a carp. Last October size 16 bhpt somewhere around cold water farms.

Jim, I tried to tell the guy no but he wouldn't take no for a answer, I din't fish much at all that day and none after I caught that fish. The guys name was Norm Dean. From Townsand he can vouch for me on the fish.

Cody, yeah just give me a a call. It's up in the air on if I will float or help with the clean up this weekend.

I have been lucky to catch a few nice ones already this year, I have been avg one 16"-17" a trip this year.

Rodonthefly
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
To also mention, I have been fly fishing the river ever since I was in 6th grade, I use to watch the two jims catch fish all day long and get pissed off cuz I wasn't catching that many. Lol. Now not being full of myself but I can hold my own must of the time on the clinch. I havn't been putting up high number days. But i can't complain by no means.

waterwolf
04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
To also mention, I have been fly fishing the river ever since I was in 6th grade, I use to watch the two jims catch fish all day long and get pissed off cuz I wasn't catching that many. Lol. Now not being full of myself but I can hold my own must of the time on the clinch. I havn't been putting up high number days. But i can't complain by no means.
I never catch anything on the clinch:biggrin:

Rodonthefly
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
What's the biggest fish you've brought to hand out there Jim

waterwolf
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
What's the biggest fish you've brought to hand out there Jim
29.5", quite a few around 25", but cannot break 30" to save my life.

IMO breaking 22" is very difficult on the Clinch, especially on Rainbows. Browns isn't that hard at all, if you fish for them. I still target big fish a little but not near like I used to. It isn't nearly as good as it once was, and there are so many folks who do it now, it just isn't that much fun to me anymore.

I have had a couple of fish on that would have gone over 30" but got embarrassed each time. Things get real scary when you stare down a 15-20 lb brown. Real scary.

Rodonthefly
04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
29.5", quite a few around 25", but cannot break 30" to save my life.

IMO breaking 22" is very difficult on the Clinch, especially on Rainbows. Browns isn't that hard at all, if you fish for them. I still target big fish a little but not near like I used to. It isn't nearly as good as it once was, and there are so many folks who do it now, it just isn't that much fun to me anymore.

I have had a couple of fish on that would have gone over 30" but got embarrassed each time. Things get real scary when you stare down a 15-20 lb brown. Real scary.

Having said that in you opion what is the best section to find the big fish upper middle or lower part of the river? Also do you find that stripping streamers is the way for the big boys or what? Ever fished at night for them?

Rodonthefly
04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Jim if you don't want to answer those questions in a public fourm feel free to e-mail me at clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com

waterwolf
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't do night, life if too short to spend all night trying to catch a fish. You could find big fish anywhere from the dam to Bull Run Steam plant, it is a personal preference thing as far as which stretch to fish. Streamers work the best, but don't rule out turning huge fish on nymphs as well. Also, I hate dry flies, but watch during sulfur hatches closely, you might be surprised at what will sneak in and start feeding off the beaten path.

Rodonthefly
04-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Ok I will go along with the Dam to say that boat ramp below hinds creek. But to say bull run steam plant? Have you heard of trout being caught that far down? It looks to me as the water quality gets real poor there at the green bridge in Clinton.

i have wanted to fish it at night but never have, have you known anyone to do it if so any luck at it?

waterwolf
04-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Water stays cold and clear all the way to Solway bridge in Oak Ridge.

Eons ago, I was carp fishing above Bull run about 1/2 mile and saw some fish rising in a scum line. Turned out to be 14-17" rainbows which were gorgeous. That was in August.

Rodonthefly
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Hmmm that's interresting wonder how one would go about fishing for them in such a deeper part of the river? Also a question back to fishing streamers for the big ones, do you fish sink tip lines and what kind of streamers do you fish if you don't mind me asking? I personaly hate striping the things, and only have fished buggers and a pattern called a green dragon. Makes for some hard fishing when i have to go back to dead drifting and mending line after striping streamers.

Thanks for the info Jim, your post many may take as smart *** comments, but i have gained alot from them.