PDA

View Full Version : Clinch River Spawn

DBKSTONE2
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I know your thinking I am going to ask a question about trout but you would be wrong. I tried to fish "the church" on Saturday but ran into an issue. I have not fished the church in a couple of years and because of generation I thought it would be a good choice. I pulled into the parking lot and was cruising the lot looking for a spot to park and to survey the river. I say several large splashes and my heart was racing. Some of you know where I am going with this. I geared up in break neck speed and hit the river. Much to my frustration, I figured out quickly the large "trout" splashes were carp. Being conservative I would say it was in the thousands! I tried to fish with hopes that a trout might be in the mix. Wouldn't you know on the first cast I caught about an 8lb carp on a 5 wt 6x tip size 20 zebra midge. I did not think they would hit something that small. WRONG! I fished for 1.5 hours and after wading a good bit I could not get away from the carp. I never saw the first trout so I sent up the white flag and went home.

My question is when does the carp spawn end?

Rodonthefly
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
you will see them around that area up into the summer months. I argee they are thick down there right now.

waterwolf
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
You shouldn't have left, it is one of the best times to fish 61 bridge. They aren't carp, but Carpsuckers, Quill Backs, and redhorse, mainly carpsuckers. Much different then carp.

Honestly, the fishing is as good as it gets when they get going. I don't know if it is all the stirring up of the riffles knocking food loose, or just the craziness of the whole spectacle. They also lay millions of egss which the trout gorge themselves on.

Fish in and around them, and enjoy it while it lasts. Some of the biggest fish of the year turn up right now around them.

ChemEAngler
04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
WW,

How large are the eggs from a carpsucker? Just wondering if standard glo-bug egg patterns would be sufficient.

waterwolf
04-20-2010, 06:47 AM
WW,

How large are the eggs from a carpsucker? Just wondering if standard glo-bug egg patterns would be sufficient.
They are tiny, about the size of beadhead you would use on a #14, and cream colored. Glo-bugs are way to big, a little ball of dubbing works as well as anything to imitate them. Don't give up if they won't eat them, I have had mixed success with the actual eggs, but great success with regular stuff in and around the thrashing.