PDA

View Full Version : I can't resist!

spotlight
04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I just have to post a picture of this brown trout I caught today 4-19-10 on Little River, this thing hit my nymph like a concrete block! did I say nymph? hmm I must be either really lucky or starting to get the hang on nymphing.

A huge thanks to Daniel at LRO for suggesting which dry fly to drop off of, I even even landed me a fat bow on the dry, the fish seemed to be in the rougher current with the lower water. All I know is I am sitting on top of the world right now.http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad342/spotlight722/P4190004.jpghttp://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad342/spotlight722/P4190002.jpg

jeffnles1
04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
My son Daniel caught it's brother about 600 yards upstream of the Metcalf Bottoms picnic area Friday morning. I don't know where you were on the river, but that looks a lot like the fish he caught.

Jeff

spotlight
04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
It must have swam farther up.

Barbara
04-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice brown trout! I fished Tremont today hoping for a brown but only caught rainbows. Nothing much was moving until 4:00 pm then I caught 8 in one 200 yard stretch. What fun!
None were big, probably 9" was the biggest. He thought he was a lot bigger, made a great run and jumped once. It was a good day.

jeffnles1
04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
It must have swam farther up.

I compared pictures and they are different fish (spots on the head are different) but pretty darn close to the same size and both are beautiful fish.

Nice catch.

Barbara, nice work on the 'bows too.

I envy those of you who are close enough to get to the mountains more than 3 or 4 times a year.

Jeff

spotlight
04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Jeff post the pic! and Barbara maybe I need to start later in the day action was like dead at 3:00-3:45 so i gave up and went home but I was happy this is the nicest fish I'd ever caught since I started fly fishing 9 months ago.:biggrin:

jeffnles1
04-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Jeff post the pic! and Barbara maybe I need to start later in the day action was like dead at 3:00-3:45 so i gave up and went home but I was happy this is the nicest fish I'd ever caught since I started fly fishing 9 months ago.:biggrin:

Spotlight,
Here's my son's fish. It isn't quite as long as the one you had pictured. The camera angle is a little bad as he's still in the net and partially under the water. Measured on the net he was just shy of 13". My son said 14 but I think closer to 13. Nice park brown all the same. He was caught about 600 yards east of the Metcalf Bottoms picnic area.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/Gatlinburg%2010/P4160085.jpg

Jeff

spotlight
04-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Very nice fish! my flash distorted the color I am always in a hurry to get em back in the water some nice fish have been caught this year that's for sure! tell your son i said very nice fish!

Carlito
04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
That is a real pretty fish! Nice work!

Barbara
04-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Spotlight,

I caught 6 scattered over Tremont between 11-4 with time out for lunch. Didn't see any big hatches until after 4 but I didn't catch the 8 when a visable hatch was on. What happened, I think, is I found a fly that matched what few bugs were hatching. Only had one like it so my casting was very careful! I will hit LRO and get a few more like it. Although it is raining pretty hard now in Townsend. Maybe I'll get a brown today like you did!

jeffnles1
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Barbara,
Hope you do!

I'd rather be in Townsend in the rain than back here in my office on a sunny day.

I can't wait until I can retire and go to the mountains anytime I want. Hopefully in about 3 or 4 more years (assuming I don't get downsized first).

Hope you do catch a big brown, looking forward to the pictures.

Jeff

The Principal
04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I am with you Jeff. I hope to go out in about two. Saving to buy a camper so I
can stay a week or two at a time.

Barbara
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Jeff and Principal,

My husband is retired now and I hope to retire in 2 years. We have a little camper in Townsend to stay in. We have enjoyed every trip down here. We wonder if it would be as much fun if we could come anytime and stay as long as we liked.

spotlight
04-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Jeff and Principal,

We wonder if it would be as much fun if we could come anytime and stay as long as we liked.

I grew up in Florida we came every Summer on vacation I swore one day I'd live here I live 25 miles outside the park the answer is. It never gets old I spend most of my free time in the park if it's not fishing it's hiking,backpacking/fishing,horseback riding,camping,rock climbing,biking,I do volunteer work with the N.P.S and trial maintenance.........it never get old I make it a point to explore something new every time I go.

Crockett
04-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I agree with Spotlight it never gets old there is always something new to see or some place you haven't explored. I grew up here and I can say that a lot of the locals never come to the smokies. I think they are bombarded with smoky mtn this or smoky mtn that and it becomes cliche or something. I am definitely a smoky mtn evangelist and love to tell the locals about what they are missing.

spotlight
04-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Hey Adam the Sam's Creek Specks are calling my name I am free the 30th of April and the 1st of May how bout it you free that weekend? lets pack a lunch and go blue lining.....

nvr2L8
04-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Barbara,

The answer is, "It depends". Those who are inclined to enjoy activities in the mountains dearly love going up there as often as possible. I never tire of just driving through and looking at the rivers, dreaming of fishing. Others, those not so interested, can be a bit jaded to all the hype as Crockett indicated.

I have lived here all my life and it never gets old. Many of my fondest, earliest memories are of my family camping out for weeks at a time in Cades Cove, brushing the snow off picnic tables to have a picnic in the winter (when you could actually drive up in the Smokies in the snow) and rock hopping with my sibs in the streams (before I knew how much fun it was to fish). 57 years and still enjoying it immensely.

jeffnles1
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Barbara,

The answer is, "It depends". Those who are inclined to enjoy activities in the mountains dearly love going up there as often as possible. I never tire of just driving through and looking at the rivers, dreaming of fishing. Others, those not so interested, can be a bit jaded to all the hype as Crockett indicated.

I have lived here all my life and it never gets old. Many of my fondest, earliest memories are of my family camping out for weeks at a time in Cades Cove, brushing the snow off picnic tables to have a picnic in the winter (when you could actually drive up in the Smokies in the snow) and rock hopping with my sibs in the streams (before I knew how much fun it was to fish). 57 years and still enjoying it immensely.

Charlie,
You're making me wish retirement would hurry up and get here. I think I could wake up and look out at the mountains every day for the rest of the time God gives me on this earth and be a happy man. If he lets me fish a few days that would be a bonus.
Jeff

Crockett
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Heck yeah Kevin I still want to go up Sams Creek but we might have to wait till the next week I got something going on that weekend

Adam

spotlight
04-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Let me know when you can get away so I don't make no plans. I sent you pictures of 2 more huge browns my friend randy and I caught today.....It's just unreal two hoglegs in one day.