PDA

View Full Version : Guides on the forum

Rodonthefly
04-21-2010, 06:14 PM
How many guides are on the forum and how has buisness been so far this year?

Grumpy
04-21-2010, 10:35 PM
When the Caney is your favorite stream, terrible! I just can't take someone's money for a float down a desolate river, dosen't seem to stop some folk though:confused:

Grumpy

waterwolf
04-22-2010, 07:00 AM
retired:smile:

Rodonthefly
04-22-2010, 08:45 AM
retired:smile:

Come out of retiement and help a youngster out would ya? Did you guide for the creel or who ? What was the best way you found other then poeple seeing you catch a crap load of fish saying i want to do that? Did you find to build customer base

psnapp
04-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Grumpy -- you could always take 'em on a weekend trip to a special little place here in East Tn! How ya doin', Grumpy? Long time since we spoke.

Phil, aka ElkMan

Grumpy
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Grumpy -- you could always take 'em on a weekend trip to a special little place here in East Tn! How ya doin', Grumpy? Long time since we spoke.

Phil, aka ElkMan

Hanging in there my friend, spent 4 days up there recently & wanting to get back up that way soon;)

Grumpy

waterwolf
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Come out of retiement and help a youngster out would ya? Did you guide for the creel or who ? What was the best way you found other then poeple seeing you catch a crap load of fish saying i want to do that? Did you find to build customer base
I worked for Mike Bone (Clinch River Outfitters), still do a few trips each year even though I am retired. Best way, treating Mike well and doing a good job when he gave me trips so that as time went on he booked more and more for me.

Why anyone would want to guide is beyond me, it is not glamorous, you starve for half the year, and you suffer in the heat, rain, wind, days when the fish are off, days when the water schedules suck, etc etc.

Sure the money is great during the season, but exhaustion sets in, and it becomes a challenge to just get out of bed to go fight the river again.

The people are great, and watching folks enjoy the resource is fun as well.

Too many folks have jumped into guiding these days because they want to be able to say "I'm a guide". Those have no idea what it is like to truly be a guide, the folks who are or were true guides, rarely are heard boasting about being a guide.

It is some sort of punishment I think to have the skill set necessary to guide others.

Rockyraccoon
04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Why anyone would want to guide is beyond me, it is not glamorous, you starve for half the year, and you suffer in the heat, rain, wind, days when the fish are off, days when the water schedules suck, etc etc.

Sure the money is great during the season, but exhaustion sets in, and it becomes a challenge to just get out of bed to go fight the river again.

Too many folks have jumped into guiding these days because they want to be able to say "I'm a guide". Those have no idea what it is like to truly be a guide, the folks who are or were true guides, rarely are heard boasting about being a guide.

It is some sort of punishment I think to have the skill set necessary to guide others.

This post should go in some sort of all time hall of fame section. :smile:

ChemEAngler
04-23-2010, 08:41 AM
I worked for Mike Bone (Clinch River Outfitters), still do a few trips each year even though I am retired. Best way, treating Mike well and doing a good job when he gave me trips so that as time went on he booked more and more for me.

Jim,
My wife has been trying to sell me as a guide to some coworkers, but I keep telling her that I am not interested. First of all, I do not consider myself a good fisherman, and secondly I don't know that I could tolerate taking somebody out that has never picked up a rod and expects to catch a boat load of fish. Plus I am fairly selective of who I like to fish with, and thankfully I have fished with a couple people on this board that are fun to fish with.

I equate it to my days when I was into bass fishing very heavily. I was going 2 or 3 days a week to Douglas, Cherokee, Ft. Nasty, wherever I wanted. Then I got all wrapped up in tournaments and thinking I could make some money doing what I enjoyed. As soon as I started trying to combine my love of the sport with my need for income, I found myself losing focus on what it was that I loved about the sport to begin with. Since then I may have been bass fishing 6 times in the past 8 years. It has just become too commercial with everybody and their $60,000 truck and boat rigs, boat wraps, boastful attitudes, and everything else that goes along with it.

I think it takes a very unique person to still be able to keep the two separated. I know of a few guides who no longer fish for the fun of it because they are so burned out from guiding people all the time that it has become purely a business venture and no longer a passion.

waterwolf
04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
It never affected my desire to fish, just my desire as to what I fished for. I lost a heap of respect for trout, and just got tired of catching or touching the things. Thus I switched and almost only fish for smallmouth now. I still trout fish some, but can't stand dealing with the crowds or the freaking river schedules.

It would take alot to burn me out on fishing, but then again I only fish from May-Sept. anymore as the rest of the year I am out killing stuff. Like right now, could care less even with beautiful weather, there are things which have to be killed. FIsh can wait, that probably helped me over the years stay focused.

Rodonthefly
04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
What are you out killing turkey?

I think huntting has helped me out as far as not getting burned out. All the women I have been with reather it be dating or married, I have told them, Starting end of Sep-First of Jan. i'll be in the woods. you can spend time with me Jan-mid March. Come march-end of Sep i'll be turkey hunting or fishing. if you can deal with that. Then i guess you'll work out. LOL. i now have a 3 year old and I do spend time doing what he wants to do when he isn't with his mom. But thank the good lord it looks like he is going to follow in my foot steps.

As far as guiding, the river has played a major roll in my life. And has been nothing but enjoyment to me. i turly enjoy showing others and teaching others the enjoyment its brought to my life. As far as doing it to say I'm a guide no could careless. Even if they arn't a paying customer f i see someone having a hard time then I try and help them out. Their was and still is many that do the same for me. not to mention that alittle extra money from guiding helps out being a single dad and all.

waterwolf
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Turkeys now.

I am much different that I do not usually speak to others on the river, nor help out. Nothing personal, just generally wish to be left alone, and leave others alone as well. It is not that I don't want to help, it is just that my river time is my time to get away and relax not spend my time teaching, unless I have been hired to do so. Not much of a philanthropist

jarrod white
04-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Turkeys now.

I am much different that I do not usually speak to others on the river, nor help out. Nothing personal, just generally wish to be left alone, and leave others alone as well. It is not that I don't want to help, it is just that my river time is my time to get away and relax not spend my time teaching, unless I have been hired to do so. Not much of a philanthropist

Wow:rolleyes:

psnapp
04-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Turkeys now.

Pardon me if I happen to speak to you on the stream! Don't mean to intrude!!

GrouseMan77
04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Wow:rolleyes:
Exactly :smile:

waterwolf
04-25-2010, 03:46 AM
Sorry to break so many hearts, but not all of us are out there to hold hands with others. Like I said nothing personal, just enjoy solitude when fishing.

jarrod white
04-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Sorry Mr. Guide. My heart is officially broken, and I cant believe you don't want to hold my hand.
Please be aware, someguides don't play well with others. If you meet one on the stream that does not speak as you pass, please go back and introduce yourself just before you hold his head under water for 3 to 5 minutes or until he decides he wants to speak.
I thought I was a butthead.:rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
04-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Ha! :biggrin: Funny stuff...I say hi to the fly fishermen and ignore the baitcasters and canoers! ;)

waterwolf
04-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Sorry Mr. Guide. My heart is officially broken, and I cant believe you don't want to hold my hand.
Please be aware, someguides don't play well with others. If you meet one on the stream that does not speak as you pass, please go back and introduce yourself just before you hold his head under water for 3 to 5 minutes or until he decides he wants to speak.
I thought I was a butthead.:rolleyes:
:biggrin:

I do always say hi to folks, always. I am very talkative around the boat ramps and happy to converse as I pass by either wading or floating. I am not a total butt, I just don't usually get in lengthy conversations about tactics, flies, or other stuff on the river.

Guarantee most that fish the Clinch have had pleasant words with me over the years, and those that know me well, know it is hard to get a word in when I am around.

I am just not, and never have been the type to go up and help out on the river. Unless of course serious physical harm is likely. I generally say hello, how's it going, and go on my way. Didn't know that was a crime.

jarrod white
04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
I think that is coming off a little different than the way it first sounded. I bet that is the way most of us are. :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
04-25-2010, 11:33 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2009/FF20Cartoon.jpg

waterwolf
04-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I think that is coming off a little different than the way it first sounded. I bet that is the way most of us are. :biggrin:

Sorry if my first post made it sound like I just slogged on by others never even acknowledging their existence. That would be a little ridiculous.

tnh2owader
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks WW, I didn't think another fly fisherman would be as rude as it sounded. And I've read allot of your posts and didn't think you were as bad as others may have taken that.
Life's short, Let's all do unto others as we expect others to do unto us.
There's always time for a "Howdy" and a smile !!!!

gmreeves
04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I understood exactly what you were saying Waterwolf. I don't get many days on the river and the time I do spend I like to spend by myself. I always say hello, how's it going type of thing but only in passing and I don't go out of my way to say hello. That is if I happen to see someone which is rare. It's nothing personal to others. If I had a great tailwater nearby to fish, I might have more enounters with other fisherman but I don't. I love hanging out with people and shooting the breeze and talking anything piscatorial but when I'm on the water, even with a fishing buddy, there is rarely a word spoken and we normally fish in different directions.

kylemc
04-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Yeah Jarrod, you never shut up.

Your pal,
Kyle