PDA

View Full Version : Little River Brown

Barbara
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/P4210419-1.jpg

I finally got my brown trout! Fished Little River below Elkmont and had a few rainbows. Then managed to put a hook into my right index finger really deep. Unfortunately it was barbed and I couldn't get it out. Finally pushed it thru and crimped off the barb and got it out. It really hurt. Drove to Elkmont after I patched up the finger to try a favorite place. Caught rainbows there but today this gentleman was sipping flies and on the second cast he ate the March Brown I got from Paula at LRO yesterday. Thought for sure I had a rainbow because he jumped once. Never had a brown jump. No net so I landed him in shallow rocks. What a happy surprise to see he was a brown, not a bow.

OK on the picture the tape shows 12 1/2 but I remeasured after I calmed down a little and he was lucky 13". My finger quit hurting. :smile:

ps: The fly looks white but that's just the parachute, that thing that us old people need to see the fly!

tjw37909
04-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Nice fish. I bet you are glad you decided not to fish Cosby now.

David Knapp
04-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Nice brown for your first one in the park. Lots of browns this year...I'm wondering if their numbers are up, possibly something to do with the drought, etc...or maybe there are just fewer 'bows to be competing with them...

nvr2L8
04-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Nicely done, Barbara.

Ouch :eek: on the hook! Been there, done that.

buzzmcmanus
04-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Lots of browns this year...I'm wondering if their numbers are up, possibly something to do with the drought, etc...or maybe there are just fewer 'bows to be competing with them...

I was wondering the same thing. I usually pick one up every now and then, but this year is different.

Nice fish Barbara!!!

Barbara
04-22-2010, 09:37 AM
PlateauAngler,

Not my first brown in the park. In 2006 I hooked a bigger brown, no net again that day, and got it right to my feet before it got off. Broke my heart. I've been looking for a big brown ever since. Caught lots of smaller browns but nothing to brag about until yesterday.:smile:

Barbara
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Charlie B,

My finger thanks you for not mentioning how stupid it was to do that. I had a tetanus shot in 2006 so I guess I won't die of lockjaw. But my fingertip is really red and sore this morning. Tying on a fly out to be pretty funny today. :redface:

Barbara
04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=buzzmcmanus;79622]I was wondering the same thing. I usually pick one up every now and then, but this year is different.

I wondered if anyone else noticed the rainbows seem all close to the same size. Of the ones I caught this trip, most could have been twins. No larger ones, no smaller, just one size. Drought related?

Yesterday in Jakes Creek I caught a brown in a small pool about big enough for a minnow. He was fat and much larger than I expected in that size pool. No rainbow to compete with?

nvr2L8
04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Barbara,

My worst hook experience was having one slide in at the base of my fingernail. Didn't think about a tetanus shot but the jaw never locked so I guess I'm alright.

spotlight
04-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Very nice fish! wow the river is on fire!! with big fish I love it! I love the color. Well Done

Carlito
04-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Way to go, Barb!

I hate to hear that you had to run that hook on thru your finger... there's a very easy way to remove them that is virtually painless. I've used the trick many times, and it works on big and small hooks (not sure about a treble hook though). All you need is some tippet, string, or floss. Let's see if I can find instructions online...

Here go: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0601/p2231.html

About halfway down the page, "string yank technique." I'm telling you, it works like a charm. Grannyknot can testify! ;)

Waterborn
04-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Great brownie, especially for a first. I've noticed a cookie cutter sizing on the bows as well - not a whole bunch of juvies, maybe not so much the drought as all the high water we've had earlier in the the year? Probably a combo. Not sure, but the result either ways seems to be consistly nicer that average fish - got to love it. No fun on the finger hook up - I had a nice 1/0 hook through my thumb joint once when I was a kid. Funny though how catching fish can cures all ailments!

Jim Casada
04-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Barbara--I'm am firmly convinced, and it is based on considerable personal observation, that most Park streams missed one and possibly two years of rainbow reproduction. Last year I caught a world of 'bows in the 5-7 inch range and the occasional one over 10 inches. Virtually nothing in between, and I'm talking (conservatively) a couple thousand fish over the course of the summer. It was true not just for Park waters but on streams in Graham County. In fact one day on some private water on Little Snowbird I must have caught a 100 'bows, and exactly five of them were over seven inches. The lower Nantahala River was an exception, but it's a tailwater and a totally different situation.
My good fishing buddy had the same experiences.
As for the browns, I think some large ones likely died, but I caught them through all size classes. They are consistently more difficult to catch, and the only real anomaly I noticed with them is that I never caught (or even hooked) a wild brown over 18 inches or so. Usually that will happen a few times each year. I'm not saying they aren't still there, because I'm sure they are. Just seemed to me to be fewer. On the other hand, those that did survive the drought have probably been enjoying sumptuous fare in the form of little 'bows. I confidently predict that there will be a lot of fat, healthy rainbows in the 8-11 inch range this year, and some of the photos I've already been seeing bear that you.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Barbara
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Mr. Casada, Jim, if I may,

Your assessment makes sense. Perhaps the browns, having eaten very well since the drought, will begin to show up, bigger and more plentiful. The stuff dreams are made of...

spotlight
04-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I seen a bunch of small fish hitting dry flies on the river really late this evening I caught one and it was a brown but man there were a bunch nipping the surface and i am posting the pictures of the 2 browns my old boss and I caught today a 13" and a 13 1/2 I am amazed!

knucklehead
04-23-2010, 02:26 AM
early thursday afternoon, i hit up tremont. several bugs on and around water. even saw a few yellow stoneflies. Landed 4 rainbows, 3-9 inches. missed twice as many. saw every fish that struck. as far as size, i really haven't been catching too many clones, mostly in the smaller range (4-7 inch). plan on trying for a brown this rainy weekend.
I think just about every fisherperson i know has some sort of fish hook story. I've had more encounters with hooks than i care to tell. my first was when a friend and myself were fishing in a small pond boat. he reared back with a rapala dangling from a spinning rod, tried heaving it forward and wham! free ear piercing!

Barbara
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
OUCH :eek: your ear! That would really hurt! My first was running a trot line on the Kentucky River. Luckily the hook just scraped across my hand and didn't stick. After that tho, when Daddy said let go the line, I dropped it like it was an electric wire.

Carlito, looked up your website. Good info! I had forgotten that trick. Wish I had it day before yesterday. When I get home I will print it out and stick it in my vest. Good to have.

tlshealy
04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I was fishing the west prong of little river over easter and some how ended up with a size 16 stuck in my palm. I thought when I pulled it out, I sure am glad that I started smashing my barbs! I thought I was doing it for the trout.
Tad