PDA

View Full Version : Carp with a 3wt.

millerdvr
04-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I went out to a local river yesterday and fished for spawning carp. The river holds trout further downstream but up where I was at there are thousands and thousands of carp. I threw on a worm then later fished with a salmon egg pattern, a bit of split shot then let it drift through the shallows. The biggest fish I brought to the net was 7 lbs. but I lost at least a dozen that were bigger, all on my 3 wt. 6' 3" rod. What a blast !!! All total I landed 11 carp.

This weekend we are going to fish the backwaters of the Mississippi river where the carp are much much bigger. i will use the 5 wt. then.

Anyone else ever fly fish for carp? It is a great time.

Carlito
04-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

The Principal
04-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I caught a 12 and a half pound carp and a 8 pound carp off my dock
on Weiss Lake at Cedar Bluff Alabama with a 10 wt. Used a fly made like an egg pattern
but colored like a fish food pellet and a round fly made of foam shaped and colored like a chunk of dog food. Lots of fun landing them with no net.

flyred06
04-24-2010, 10:22 PM
I have hooked up on several. The smallest rod I have ever used is a 5wt. I can not imagine what a carp on a 3wt would be like. The next strong fish and great fight is gar. When hooked they are a blast. They are also a good sight fishing trip. Try them on if you have not so far. Especially with a 3wt you would have a blast.

Rodonthefly
05-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Had to try the whole Carp'n thing today, went caught 3. Nothing real big but sure was alot of fun on a 4 wt. I would post pic but dont know how. Caught them all by chuming the water with corn then soaking a yellow wolly worm in the corn juice and cating in the middle of them.

Carp'n poor boy's tarpon