PDA

View Full Version : Snake Bite

Jswitow
04-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Not to deter anyone, but be mindful when walking through large rocks, and downed timber.
Spring break a couple of weeks ago..... no, the 1st of April, I was fishing Snowbird with my fishing buddy http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/jswitow/JohnandhisFishingBuddy02.jpg
He did something he never does and hopped in the water swimming downstream toward me right through the water I was fishing. I scolded him mildly, and felt bad about it. It was a beautiful day and I noticed he had taken up his position at my right hip, and he was shaking.... Water temp 50 deg, and air in the 60's; strange. I said; Cooter what is wrong with you? He didn't answer, rarely does, but went to the bank and proceeded to shake some more and began to druel. I wondered if he was having a stroke? He wouldn't move when I urged him to go with me back to the cabin, he was out of it, that was apparent. I left him and went for help. When I got back with help we found the bite on his ankle. I had gone down a steep bank over a boulder field, he went through and evidently got hit going through... twice. He is doing much better now, but still shows some necrosis around the bite. The snake got him twice right on the ankle, where he had little fur.
Anyway keep an eye open for the snakes, it is that time of year.
Best,
John

GrouseMan77
04-25-2010, 09:30 AM
John - hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

flyred06
04-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Man hope he makes a full recovery. I hate to hear that but I truly wish you and him the best. I know how it is to have your best friend hurt or sick.

flyguys
04-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! It's a good thing he was a large breed, I've always been told that a large breed can withstand a bite better than a small breed. Any truth to that old saying?? flyguys

David Knapp
04-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Saw this guy about 3/4 of a mile above Elkmont on Friday. It was hanging out between the stream and the trail so be careful out there for sure...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/Smokies/IMG_9943.jpg

duckypaddler
04-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Saw this guy about 3/4 of a mile above Elkmont on Friday. It was hanging out between the stream and the trail so be careful out there for sure...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/Smokies/IMG_9943.jpg

I saw 3 rattlers 2 years ago in that exact location. In fact he looked like that one with lots of black. One I almost jumped on (landed 6 inches away) one,glad he slithered off the rock and away from me before I jumped back to the middle of the river. I've always heard Elkmont had alot of snakes, maybe there is really something to that.

$3Bridge
04-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Glad I haven't seen one of those when fishing the Little River, but I do know they are plenty of them around. This time of year when you see one, be assured there are more around. They have not moved too far from their dens just yet with the cool nights.

As for other snakes, I always see plenty of northern water snakes on the Little. I think they have been planted there to keep the fishermen in check.

spotlight
04-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Here is an article that might be helpful to everyone just in case always keep an eye out we seen a rattler at Elkmont that stretched across the road almost covering both lanes.

http://www.backpacker.com/may_09_treat_a_snakebite/skills/13082

Grannyknot
04-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the reminder John. My fishing partner stays on the bank when I take her, and that is even more dangerous.

I need to be more careful about where she is from now on.
Hope all is well with cooter...keep us posted.

gmreeves
04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm glad the guys o.k. I worry about my dogs often when they are out hiking. My beagle was bit in the face by a snake in our backyard.

Carlito
04-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Dude, that is awful. I hope your buddy gets to feeling better soon!

jeffnles1
04-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your fishing buddy. Glad he's getting better.

We saw 2 snakes up Elkmont last week. One was for sure a garter snake about 18" long. The other we didn't get that close of a look at. My son sat on a rock to tie his boots and steped on the thing and it crawled back under the rock. It was under a bunch of leaves. Needless to say, he found a different rock. He said it was dark color. It was in the same area we saw the garter snake so I would reckon it was the same species, I hope...

Jeff

Jswitow
04-26-2010, 09:37 PM
He seemed to be much better weekend before last. I heard that it is good to give them benedryl (sp?) asap. I would also say it is a good idea to tie them up, or pen them for a couple of days. He laid still for a day, didn't even eat, and this dog never passes up food!
The 3rd day he felt better, and followed me up the creek for a couple of hours. He stayed on his feet all day long, and the whole time his ankle bled. That leg was easily twice the size of his right leg. That evening he laid down, and didn't move the next day, which made me think he should have been tied up, or penned. I'd hate to think how much blood he lost. He would have improved more quickly, I think had he moved less. Still with any dog, an injury takes a lot of life from them. But what a life a dog has up on Snowbird Creek, room to roam, plenty of people to mooch food from........ and a big creek to play in whenever you want. That dog is rarely dry it seems! I think he will be fine though. It has been proven by the way, that a dog's saliva does have some antibiotic properties.
Best,
John

bigpopper
04-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Hope your buddy gets better soon! Thanks for the reminder of the snakes. Growing up in NC, we were always weary of copperheads and cotton-mouths when fishing any body of water. Hope we all stay safe when we head outdoors.:smile:

pmike
04-27-2010, 10:25 AM
giving him a nutritional supplement called "MSM". You can buy it at healthfood stores or Walmart and it is great for helping get rid of toxins and promotes healing. We had a lady here in Florida that noticed her dog had been (she thought stung) on the nose and it's nose was swolllen, so she rubbed some lotion with MSM in it on the dogs nose. Over the weekend her dog did better, but on Monday she took him to the Vet to get things checked out. The Vet told her that her dog had been snake bit and as best he could tell it was multiple strikes by a rattler, he also credited the MSM with saving her dog's life.

We had a stray cat several years ago that we rescued, he was tore up by raccoons and almost dead. One of his front legs looked like a chicken drumstick that had a huge bite taken out of it. The Vet said he could patch him up and that he would live, but that he'd never regain use of that leg or paw. We fed him MSM and rubbed lotions with it on his wounds just tring to get the wounds to close up and healo, Over time we noticed the wounds not only healed, but the muscle, skin, and even his hair grew back, after several weeks you couldn't tell he had ever been hurt.

Mike

PS: It's great for people also :O)

MadisonBoats
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I would rather get bit than my dog getting bit.:frown: Glad you buddy is doing better. Make sure he gets plenty of water. That is the best way to flush his system and to get back to normal. You can use a baby food aspirator to give him water if he is not taking it from his bowl. He will be difficult with you; but, it will make him feel much better if you can get a few full drizzles down his throat. This is a good way to give him benadryl too by crushing it up before you open the pack and mixing in a little water.

stuart
04-27-2010, 10:04 PM
PA was that a copperhead or a rattler. Looks more like a copperhead. I haven't seen one in forever. I have never seen a rattler. Not beacuse I haven't been to all the right places though. I guess I sound like a bigfoot coming through the woods and water so they steer clear of me!

STU

rivergal
04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't mind seeing a water snake swim by my waders, but I have a strong
dislike of rattlesnakes. I read somewhere that rattlesnakes can swim.
I hope I never find out for sure.

GrouseMan77
04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
PA was that a copperhead or a rattler. Looks more like a copperhead. I haven't seen one in forever. I have never seen a rattler. Not beacuse I haven't been to all the right places though. I guess I sound like a bigfoot coming through the woods and water so they steer clear of me!

STU

100% rattlesnake.

Rog 1
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Rivergal...not to spoil your fun but a couple of years ago my buddy and I were fishing at Greenbrier just below the Ramsey Cascade trailhead when a big timber rattler came swimming down the river between us...a sight to behold....**** thing lodged itself on a small rock in the middle of the river and watched as my friend took its photo...

David Knapp
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah, definitely a rattlesnake...it was stretched out near the stream sunning before I made it grouchy and it started rattling at me...:rolleyes:

rivergal
04-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Rog 1, Thanks for the verification of a swimming rattlesnake at Greenbriar. Is it against park rules to drown a rattlesnake?

Rog 1
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Sure the rangers would frown on such but it does happen...my same friend found a huge rattler just above the cottages at Elkmont that had drown in the high water from the remnants of a hurricane one year...the snake was smelling up a log jam formed in the high water

MarkHansen
04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Poor yellow dog . . . he will never pass up a fishing trip with you.
I like that picture. It proves how he follows you everywhere.

Talk to ya later,
M

BTW - have you been catching any fish @ Snowbird? Stockers or have they been fished out?

knucklehead
05-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Glad to hear the pup's recovering. Like stated previously, I too would rather get bitten than a good fishin' buddy.

As for the swimmin' snakes, i belive most snakes in the US can swim to some extent. According to most books i've read regarding snakes, I can't recall ever encountering a species that was completely hydrophobic (some just prefer water more than others). I spooked a racer a couple of weeks ago that shot across the water like it was the wind.

Elkmont must be a rattlesnake gold mine. last year, myself and several other onlookers watched as a good-sized rattler swam across the stream (towards us on the trail). it crawled onto rocks when it could, but put on a decent display of aquatic mobility (didn't appear to like the ordeal, though).

rockytopwoolybugger
05-03-2010, 01:35 AM
i'm sorry to hear about your fishin' buddy. I hope there is a speedy recovery. But on a similar note, I had a frightening run-in with a rattler on Saturday on Middle Prong. It was stretched out on some loose gravel off the side of the road. Be careful out there folks.

TNBigBore
05-03-2010, 12:51 PM
With regard to rattlesnakes swiming: I was on Slickrock creek about ten years ago and nearly stepped on a pretty big timber rattler on the trail about a mile above the lake. I did not want to kill it so moved it off the trail with a very long stick. It slithered right back to the same spot twice. Finally, I took the stick and heaved it almost all the way across the creek. It promptly swam back and slithered to the same spot on the trail. I did this once more. When it slithered back up the bank the second time, I was waiting with about a 30lb rock. I crushed it's head and moved it well off the trail. I hated to kill the snake, but felt it would surely bite a hiker or dog based on the position it had staked out and it's unwillingness to leave. All this to say that rattlesnakes swim quite well.