PDA

View Full Version : Holston River Reports?

Wilson10
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I have not seen any reports from the Holston in a while.

Anyone been up there lately? I fished it earlier in the year and had a good day. I was expecting it to be fishing pretty good this spring.

Varmitcounty
04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
So far so good...

Depending on where you are you stand the chance of hooking some very nice holdovers. The potential for the Holston to be THE prime Tennessee tailwater is there.

Sage
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
It's horrible. ;)

ChemEAngler
04-28-2010, 02:02 PM
100 fish days, taking everything from stoneflies to midges.

Seriously though, I haven't heard any negative reports from the guys I know who fish there.

Actually I have asked one of my buddies who fishes there regularly to come to the Clinch with me, and for the life of me I can't entice him to leave the Holston. He prefers to catch hard fighting rainbows on dries instead of drifting nymphs, so I can understand his reasoning.

On another note, the smallies should really be heating up on the lower river now. May head over that way next week with streamers and poppers.

No Hackle
04-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I dont fish the Holsten much, what is the best way to Nances Ferry from Maryville. I usually fish the upper river once or twice a year. I've never really done any good over there but am willing to give it another shot. Any info would help about the lower river.
Lynn

MadisonBoats
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I think the Holston is on the upswing of becoming a great trout river. As-long as we do not get any droughts and the river gets too warm. The only knock is that Cherokee dam is not a deep reservoir and release water temps fluctuate more readily than the deeper reservoirs. The stocking and management of the Holston seems to be at the top compared to what I have been seeing at other rivers. It is interesting catching bass and trout at the same time.

waterwolf
04-29-2010, 04:51 PM
The best years are following drought years. When they run less water, the longer the cold water reserves stay. The less it rains the less warm water run off occurs, which helps warm the river. Without any question the drier the better for the Holston.

The Holston will never be anything more then it is now, the water temps are subject to spike any given year and kill every trout there. It happened 3 or 4 years ago, and it is just now recovering. Nothing will change that, if the water always stayed cold, then it would have potential to be the best river in the country IMO.

MadisonBoats
04-29-2010, 09:39 PM
The best years are following drought years. When they run less water, the longer the cold water reserves stay. The less it rains the less warm water run off occurs, which helps warm the river. Without any question the drier the better for the Holston.

Interesting aspect...do you mean the water stays colder in Cherokee Lake all year and does not meet the thermocline from June to September? I do not understand how it holds back the thermocline by being more stagnant and impounded.

If you are implying runoff on the river side; I am unaware of any major tributaries that would drastically influence the temperature comfort zone of the Holston River in difference to what exists on the Clinch and the influx of Coal Creek. I note temperatures in that area of 75 Deg. in the summer. Also, long periods of drought in river areas have an increased negative effect on fish. The water is shallower and more stagnant leading to less dissolved oxygen, increased water temperatures, less volume of habitat, increased vulnerability to predators, temporal shock, etc. I will be receiving the latest fishing study for district 4 Monday and will try to elaborate when I can digest it.

waterwolf
04-30-2010, 04:17 AM
The cold water reserves in a reservoir are depleted every time TVA runs the generators, now on lakes like Norris and others they are replinished because of the breadth of the reserves. On reservoirs like Cherokee and Appalachia they are not, and with Cherokee having an enormous headwater river pouring into the head of it, heavy rains send thousands of CFS into the river which are much warmer then the inflow would be during the winter/fall. This dilutes the coldwater layer and also warms it significantly.

Below the dam, the first two major tribs are Mill Springs, and Buffalo Springs. But the bulk of warmwater runoff occurs from simple surface runoff. With water temps that hover for most of the summer in the high 60's it doesn't take much to warm the river to dangerous levels. UNlike the CLinch which pretty much stays the same temp year round, other then for a few weeks in the fall when the lake turns over.

Over the last 10 years of spending time on the Holston the best holdovers have come on dry years. Years when TVA is blasting 20 thousand CFS down it 24/7 during the Summer and the coldwater is gone by July, leaving AUgust and September for the fish to bake.

MadisonBoats
04-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Interesting waterwolf! Thanks for taking the time to elaborate.