PDA

View Full Version : Junk in the river,

Rodonthefly
04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Last night I fished the lower end of the Clinch, They must of had a baptism down at the Chirch cause there was a crap load of poeple in the water there, I know the sulphers arnt hatching yet!!!!!

So i went on up river aways, and man the water was trashy, moss all over the place, I thought I was fishing milfoil on lake guntersville. Is there any reason why this would be? Is it due to lack of running water maybe killing the moss off or what? I had to pick crap off of my fly every few cast

Tippet
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
That has been the case for the past week or 2. Im not sure what causes it, but my guess would be that the river has gotten down lower then I can ever remember. So i figured the stuff dried up, and as the water comes up it is knocking it loose and then becomes the nastiness on the end of my fly and indicator.

waterwolf
04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
It has piled up because they won't flush the system. It is always around, but normally they run water some.

TVA is really screwing us again with this crappy water schedules. This is the exact thing that caused the sulphurs to vanish 10 years ago, and here we are again. Hopefully it will rain 5 inches this weekend and they will turn on the water.

The reservoir mgt crew with TVA is fairly incompetent I have decided, they seemingly never learn from past mistakes, and make horrible judgement erros pretty much continuously.

ChemEAngler
04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
It has piled up because they won't flush the system. It is always around, but normally they run water some.

Last week while on the lower river we noticed a huge increase in the junk in the water. It was so bad that I had to clean my leader after every drift just to be sure not to spook any fish on the next cast. I told him the same thing about not running water. I know that those of us who wade fish enjoy these schedules since it gives us ample opportunity to hit the water. However, for the overall quality of the fishery they really probably should hit it with a hard flush of 10 to 12 hours in the next couple weeks.

Rodonthefly
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I would like to see the water on a little more then what it has been. **** can't beleave I just said that. Even with the one they run for an hour in the morning and a hour in the evenings, this really dose nothing for the water from say cane creek down dose it?

Who and waht dose TVA go by as far as them turning the water on and off? I know power demands are one and for two they are trying to get the water up to summer pull for all the Yankies, but don't they take in consideration the water ways below the dam? Looks like all the crap would effect melton hill and possibilly cause problems with the skimmer/intake at bull run. Is there anyone we can complain to about keeping the tail water quailty in check?

On the other hand last night was some good dry fly action, but like you said Travis I had to clean the fly off or tie on a new one cuz the crap kept missing it up. I found the best thing was to find fairly fast moving water. It wasn't as bad then. Oh and by the way I saw the two eagles again last night, and a turkey. Down there below where you fish Travis.

Grannyknot
04-30-2010, 02:04 PM
I think they are more concerned with getting the lake up to the all-mighty 1020.

Wilson10
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
It's all about lake levels right now. I agree with Grannyknot. They are trying to hit their mark.:cool:

silvercreek
04-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Come fish the Caney. Lots of water and no weeds. Silvercreek

Varmitcounty
04-30-2010, 06:25 PM
the Tennessee Valley Authority gives one hoot about a bunch of bugs coming somewhere within a ten or so mile stretch of the dam. Or that they give one second of thought to the fact that the tree root systems along the riverbank are serving warning to potential hazard. Some days its good, some days it sucks, and others are just the luck of the draw. Sulphers will come, Sulphers will go.

psnapp
04-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Fished the Clinch Thu afternoon and this afternoon. I've never seen this much algae and aquatic junk in the water. It was almost impossible this afternoon, and after about an hour of wiping snot off my fly, leader and line, I gave up. The upper end around Miller's doesn't have near as much junk, but the lower end is inundated.

By the way, Rodney, the sulphurs came off very heavy Thu around 6. Fish rising steadily to take them, and I did have a great dry fly day Thu.

Phil

waterwolf
04-30-2010, 09:45 PM
the Tennessee Valley Authority gives one hoot about a bunch of bugs coming somewhere within a ten or so mile stretch of the dam. Or that they give one second of thought to the fact that the tree root systems along the riverbank are serving warning to potential hazard. Some days its good, some days it sucks, and others are just the luck of the draw. Sulphers will come, Sulphers will go.
I see you modified your original post.

I started to respond, and actually had it quoted then changed my mind, then changed back.

I will respond, since I am assuming you directed it at me.

About 10 years ago, we went through a horrible spring drought. Many here probably remember it well. The water was left off like it is now for months. The river bed filled with sediment, and that was the last year for good sulphurs really until last year when they seemed to rebound back to pre-siltation levels. Ever since then I fear years like this on the Clinch when there is little if any water run, because it has had a very dramatic impact in the past on the fishery. Much more so, then any of the high water events of years past.

Personally, I think in part we are blessed to have TVA managing our rivers, they provide generally accurate release schedules, have made improvements to the water quality (weirs, hub baffles, etc etc), and set flow regimes to fit recreational usage. However, their reservoir mgt is lacking, granted it is a tough thing to predict and manage, but since it is their sole focus they should do a better job then they do now. JMHO.

As far as any comments I make regarding tactics and technique, it is up to the reader to decide for themselves whether it is worthy to take note or not.

You speak of boasting, well that is your opinion to have. Sure I have seen several other members pay myself and others some truly flattering compliments, and that is their choice.

I have nothing to prove, other then try and provide my perspective and opinions which have been drawn from a lifetime of fishing/guiding on the Clinch. You can either take the advice/opinions as gospel, recommendations, or ignore them, but that is your choice.

The only place I try to prove anything is on the river or in the woods, and then it is between me and whatever fish/game I am after. Competing with other folks who enjoy the same things I do, is not why I get up every morning.

Rant away, but please if you have something to say about me, please step up and call me out, I assure you I can take it.

old east tn boy
04-30-2010, 11:47 PM
I am a retired TVA electrical engineer who spent a fair amount of time at the hydro plants. Let me put a few things in perspective about generation scheduling. We had a lot of rain in autumn and winter. This, coupled with the need to get the lakes down to winter pool level forced a lot of generation. Good for TVA because it is their cheapest source of revenue; bad for fishing obviously but it was necessary. A lot of continuous generation chews up turbine blades. Currently we are having somewhat of a dry spring. This is a good thing for TVA because they now have a lot of maintenance to do on those hydro units that they ran so much from November to March. Starting a generator is by far the easiest way to put water down the river, not sluicing or spilling, besides the fact that it is also the most economical too. Which brings up another fact. They are probably working around the clock to get the maintenance done so they can use them as soon as possible if and when they are needed. Unless we see a lot of rain anytime soon we probably won't see much water going down the river for awhile.

Varmitcounty
04-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Whoa...down boy! No need to get your hackles up wolfie...I mentioned no names and directed my comments at no one in particular. I agree with you 100% on the impact to the positive regarding the T.V.A. I mean we wouldn't have trout anywhere other than the park without them!

If you feel that my comments were rude, spiteful, or otherwise boorish, I would only add that it has been not only my, but several others much more active on this board than I, who are of the opinion that there are numerous individuals who appear to engage in a certain flexing of the egotistical muscle which is only fueled by those of whom have a susceptibility to adhere to the diatribes of those who have no other outlet to be heard and or respected. To infer by the tone of your response that I was making a direct textual allusion to you or anyone else on this board in particular must present you with an issue of which I shall not be a part. I feel quite certain that your knowledge of the history, and hydrology of the Clinch River would be heads and shoulders above anything I could offer other than the fact that I have caught fish at point a,b,c...infatem. My statements are not solitary, and if my history serves me correctly, there have been a few times when others on this board have been less than "wowed" by comments made. If you choose to consider yourself an aquatic yoda, then you are fully free to do so.

So, it is with heavy heart that I must resign myself from this board, much to the joy of those who find bloated egos incredibly appealing. If this seems far overblown, it is only because I have sat in silence for month after month of trite discourse and had finally had enough.

So Wolf old boy, tight lines, be safe, have fun catch all you can, and remember that God has blessed all of us with an incredible opportunity to enjoy His creation. Just don't try to be a professor to those who are seeking the same thing. Save it for your first book on the Clinch that way only those who want to hear the howl of the wolf will be subjected to it.
A loving pat on the head, a soft scratch behind the ear...and I bid you a fond farewell...I shall not trespass upon this forum again.....

Excelsior!

Rodonthefly
05-01-2010, 03:12 AM
Whoa...down boy! No need to get your hackles up wolfie...I mentioned no names and directed my comments at no one in particular. I agree with you 100% on the impact to the positive regarding the T.V.A. I mean we wouldn't have trout anywhere other than the park without them!

If you feel that my comments were rude, spiteful, or otherwise boorish, I would only add that it has been not only my, but several others much more active on this board than I, who are of the opinion that there are numerous individuals who appear to engage in a certain flexing of the egotistical muscle which is only fueled by those of whom have a susceptibility to adhere to the diatribes of those who have no other outlet to be heard and or respected. To infer by the tone of your response that I was making a direct textual allusion to you or anyone else on this board in particular must present you with an issue of which I shall not be a part. I feel quite certain that your knowledge of the history, and hydrology of the Clinch River would be heads and shoulders above anything I could offer other than the fact that I have caught fish at point a,b,c...infatem. My statements are not solitary, and if my history serves me correctly, there have been a few times when others on this board have been less than "wowed" by comments made. If you choose to consider yourself an aquatic yoda, then you are fully free to do so.

So, it is with heavy heart that I must resign myself from this board, much to the joy of those who find bloated egos incredibly appealing. If this seems far overblown, it is only because I have sat in silence for month after month of trite discourse and had finally had enough.

So Wolf old boy, tight lines, be safe, have fun catch all you can, and remember that God has blessed all of us with an incredible opportunity to enjoy His creation. Just don't try to be a professor to those who are seeking the same thing. Save it for your first book on the Clinch that way only those who want to hear the howl of the wolf will be subjected to it.
A loving pat on the head, a soft scratch behind the ear...and I bid you a fond farewell...I shall not trespass upon this forum again.....

Excelsior!

HMMMM Well.....OK. I guess some don't know how to handle different personalities. I don't think all this BS was called for. So what, wolf comes across as a jack A sometimes, but he dose know what he is talking about and offers an insite on things that us others can't always see. I have gained a great deal from call them what you like opinons or facts. I never saw what the original reply was befor it was edited but i guess we never know since your gone now, and I hate that poeple have to leave we all should enjoy this site to come learn from others. It's all up to each one of us what we take or leave from it.

Thanks for all the info and knoweldge you share wolf!

waterwolf
05-01-2010, 03:30 AM
I will leave the aquatic yoda title for someone else more fitting. It would be a sad day that I found my ego being stroked by a greasy slimy trout and success in catching them.

Tippet
05-01-2010, 07:46 AM

Excelsior!

Maybe it was because I grew up in Norris and Anderson County schools, but I only understood about 1/2 of what you said. I will advise when you write your book you dumb it down for us true Clinch River boys, but then again we won't spend time away from fishing and hunting to read a book. With all seriousness good luck with your book you said your writing on your blog, I hate to see someone leave a forum over another persons comments or opinions. You do have to remember this board is for information or for most of us its entertainment. I would like to pop waterwolf in the mouth for about 1/2 of what he says, but those are his opinions and the fact that he gets on here and stirs stuff up is why I am entertained. So I hope he keeps on stirring the pot and giving us his opinions. :)

Rodonthefly
05-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Maybe it was because I grew up in Norris and Anderson County schools, but I only understood about 1/2 of what you said. I will advise when you write your book you dumb it down for us true Clinch River boys, but then again we won't spend time away from fishing and hunting to read a book. :)

True that for sure.

aquatic yoda yeah that isn't you Jim. I tend to think more of John Thruman having that title.

I guess we shall give you the title of egotisical a$$hole who dosn't care whom or what anyone thinks about you but is full of vast knowledge and dosn't mind sharing it clinch river punck ;)

2weightfavorite
05-01-2010, 08:21 AM
I thought the late Gary Lafontaine was the aquatic yoda!:o

GrouseMan77
05-01-2010, 08:49 AM
aquatic yoda yeah that isn't you Jim. I tend to think more of John Thruman having that title.

Stars Wars is retarded.

No Hackle
05-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Now calling Star Wars retarded that's just plain blasphemy and my six year old would tell you that George Lucas is a genius.:biggrin:
Lynn

MadisonBoats
05-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Call (423) 876-6733 to voice your opinion! I fished the Clinch three times this week and it is in bad shape. Someone pick one of the following and post a note that you actually took the time to let someone know about this problem. If we all work together; we will have better results.

Why argue with each other to prove nothing; when we can work together and call, email, and voice our opinions to the people that can make a difference...?:rolleyes: My first suggestion is to harass the piss out of TVA! Let's contact anyone that will listen. Sometimes it is crafty to contact another office and to leave it loose ended and the responsibility of the incorrect department to get it to the correct department. This can create tracks and a create an issue to get resolved.
http://www.tva.gov/abouttva/contact.htm

TWRA: They can really do nothing physically; but, I believe they have the influence to promote the problem.

http://twra4streams.homestead.com/didymo.html

USGA/EPA: I think they probably could get this topic out there...
Contacts:http://www.epa.gov/region4/home/phonenumbers.html

Didymosphenia geminata is a single-celled alga, within a group of algae called diatoms (Baccilariophyta). The individual cells grow a stalk and can form large colonies. The stalks, rather than individual cells, create negative impacts. Colonies are visible as white to brown tufts attached to rocks. As colonies develop and more stalk material is generated, growth will cover rock surfaces and trap fine sediment.

HABITATS for NUISANCE GROWTH
D. geminata tends to form excessive growths in
*Low, stable flow
*Water 3 inches to 6 feet deep
*Moderate to high current
*Below outlets of lakes and reservoirs
*Sunny open streams

PROBLEM
In North America, D. geminata is expanding its geographical range and forming massive growths in streams. This nuisance organism grows attached in streambeds and may impact freshwater fish, aquatic plants, and aquatic insects.

ECOLOGICAL IMPACThttp://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals/0/Conservation%20Images/Rock_Creek3_august2004.JPG
Didymo impacts other stream organisms, and impacts are greater when large masses are present.
Aquatic larval insects decline (caddisflies, stoneflies, and mayflies).
Other aquatic larval insects increase (midge larvae and worms).
Decline in large adult trout
Abundant young of the year trout

HUMAN IMPACT
Economic impacts include fouling of water intakes and a potential link to decline in fisheries. Impacts to aesthetics are common and recreationalists report unsightly masses that appear like strands of toilet paper or fiberglass. The growths become snagged in fishing gear and make swimming areas unappealing. Direct human health impacts are thought to be limited to eye irritation in swimmers.

Didymo feels like wet wool to touch, and is not slimy. Please report suspected masses of didymo. Help us confirm your report by collecting a small sample (put a pinch of the material in a business card and fold). Send samples with the date, latitude, and longitude (or detailed accurate site information).

MadisonBoats
05-01-2010, 12:56 PM
By the way; several TVA people have heard my opinion and I can guarantee I will not give up on promoting better water quality for the river and ecosystem. You all can cry and bitch all you want with each other; but, I plan on doing something about it...:cool:

MadisonBoats
05-01-2010, 01:39 PM

TVA is really screwing us again with this crappy water schedules. This is the exact thing that caused the sulphurs to vanish 10 years ago, and here we are again. Hopefully it will rain 5 inches this weekend and they will turn on the water.

The reservoir mgt crew with TVA is fairly incompetent I have decided, they seemingly never learn from past mistakes, and make horrible judgement erros pretty much continuously.

I knew I remembered reading this back on:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/styles/smartbrown/statusicon/post_old.gif 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM waterwolf (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/member.php?u=3681) http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/styles/smartbrown/statusicon/user_offline.gif

Water flows have nothing to do with the lack of bugs in the Clinch, neither does the didymo, if anything the didymo and higher flows make the sulfurs happier and allow for larger hatches. In fact, the demise of the sulfurs seemed to be several low water years where the river filled with sediment and seemingly wiped them out. The rebirth came with the didymo based on several peoples observations.

Seems a little contradictory Waterwolf!:biggrin:

silvercreek
05-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Waterwolf, please be careful what you wish for. Don't know how much rain you will get, but we got the 5 inches of rain you wanted. Pleasant day tomorrow cleaning up the flooded basement. Silvercreek

waterwolf
05-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Maybe it was because I grew up in Norris and Anderson County schools, but I only understood about 1/2 of what you said. I will advise when you write your book you dumb it down for us true Clinch River boys, but then again we won't spend time away from fishing and hunting to read a book. With all seriousness good luck with your book you said your writing on your blog, I hate to see someone leave a forum over another persons comments or opinions. You do have to remember this board is for information or for most of us its entertainment. I would like to pop waterwolf in the mouth for about 1/2 of what he says, but those are his opinions and the fact that he gets on here and stirs stuff up is why I am entertained. So I hope he keeps on stirring the pot and giving us his opinions. :)

If you grew up there, we have probably scrapped over the years. Since I did as well. If you know me, you know me to be the exact opposite what a select few think here.

waterwolf
05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I knew I remembered reading this back on:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/styles/smartbrown/statusicon/post_old.gif 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM waterwolf (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/member.php?u=3681) http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/styles/smartbrown/statusicon/user_offline.gif

Seems a little contradictory Waterwolf!:biggrin:
Not at all, when taken out of context sure it can seem that way, but as I stated in that post on the topic, IMO high water flows have not ever really seemed to have any major impact.

old east tn boy
05-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Again, speaking as an inside for 26 years with TVA, the amount of water going down the Clinch river right now, and every other TVA river, is being decided on more important things than the needs of recreation. Folks, you have no idea how much discussion, arguing, debating, threatening, pleading. etc. goes into generation scheduling. So much depends on things you don't even know about. The ultimate decision is electricity demand, this drives everything. Next is unit availability, not just hydro but steam and nuclear. Next is off-grid sales/commitments. Then we drill on down to water quality, recreation needs, planned maintenance outages, unit unavailability scenarios, etc. I have watched the senior hydro operator at Norris wait by the phone at the eleventh hour for instructions to starting units, which ones in which order run for how long and at what rate (50%, 100%, 25 %). This was back in the 80's. Now everything is automated with decisions made in Chattanooga and implemented via digital signaling. The good news is water quality is a consideration. The bad news is it is down the list. Will voicing your opinion help change that? No, period. It might make you feel better that you at least did something but will it ultimately send more water down the Clinch? Sorry, no. Someone said in one of the postings that TVA makes mistakes and that they continue to make mistakes regarding river control. Please understand they are trying to serve many masters. What appears to you as a mistake is actually a compromise, not a mistake. The good people at TVA are there to serve you to the best of their ability in all aspects that the TVA mission is based on. They do an excellent job. Why not look at that river with this in mind for a change?

MadisonBoats
05-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Folks, you have no idea how much discussion, arguing, debating, threatening, pleading. etc. goes into generation scheduling. So much depends on things you don't even know about.

Unfortunately, I was let in on this a few years back and it upset me to the fullest. Trust me when I say this; there is a complete disconnect between the operational level and management level at TVA. I think you are speaking from the operational level? Money is not the driving factor at TVA! I will challenge any one on this forum with this issue. As far as energy production goes; that is a superficial issue and is generally pulled as a defense card. Simple mathematics illustrates this issue in relation to its value. You know; TVA started to create jobs and the rest of the time it's focus was to preserve them! Never, Never be too naive to understand this! My ex-father in law worked at the federal level and got both of his children jobs at TVA and offered me one too...I chose to earn my own path in life. My ex brother in law spilled the beans to me over the years and it was grossly pathetic. He had TVA put him through graduate school and left shortly after for a high level job at IBM. I do not worry about repercussions from people! I speak with integrity and honesty and I am not bound by any vices! I answer to God and to myself! It is time people wake up and start asking questions about things that influence their lives in so many ways.

I will meet and discuss in person with any one on this forum the issues I have mentioned. Most of all and most of all TVA responds to public opinion! Not the bottom dollar or any thing else!

Rodonthefly
05-02-2010, 09:27 AM
On a postive note. looks like the river will getting a good rain to wash things on down the river.

I agree with you Shawn, Back when I first started fishing the clinch, late 80's early 90's I was fishing right below the dam, They ended up turning the water on 2 hours early, no warning!!!! There was an older man that had fallin as the wave of water hit. As me and my dad watched this unfold. It pissed us off. So we got together a petition to put the alarms in and put it at area bait shops, gas stations, and walked up and down the banks having folks sign it. I forgot how many folks signed it but dad sent it to the river system people, and **** if they didn't put one in.

So they do listen an I plan on giving them a call over there and giving a ear full to someone come tomorrow. All we are asking is for a couple of gens for a couple hours a day. Stop killin our river!

fourx
05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Didymo, low flows, whatever. All I know is I fished fri. in low water and absolutely wore them out and have been having incredible catch rates this season. I'm catching more quality fish this year on the Clinch then I have in 20yrs. of fishing it.
Bring on the low flows cause it's putting the fish where I fish for them.

4X

waterwolf
05-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Desperately need some generator activity for a few hours in the next day or so. I drove over the river yesterday and it was red. All of the mud, and sediment which follows is extremely damaging to the river. We must have a flush and within the next few days.

If anyone has any influence, a good half day run of water, would make a tremendous difference in the next months/years to follow.

TVA is really rolling the dice, and dodged a bullet this weekend seeing how we did not get quite the rain Nashville and surrounding areas did. If we had, Norris would have been spilling for the next few weeks. I know it has to be tough to plan water levels, but it seems common sense would kick in, and running a little water here and there to make sure that some catastrophic event doesn't occur.

I will say, it has to be dang near impossible to predict what to do, and I am sure there is a million possibilities.

silvercreek
05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Looks like they are scheduled to run for an hour this morning and an hour tonight. Hopefully that will help. They are not letting water through Center Hill. Hope that creaky old dam can take it. If you want some water release check out Old Hickory dam at a whopping 207,000 cfs. I'm guessing damage in Nashville and surrounding areas will go into the billion. Probably get some good deals at Bass Pro at Opry Mills since it is under water. Silvercreek

waterwolf
05-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Looks like they are scheduled to run for an hour this morning and an hour tonight. Hopefully that will help. They are not letting water through Center Hill. Hope that creaky old dam can take it. If you want some water release check out Old Hickory dam at a whopping 207,000 cfs. I'm guessing damage in Nashville and surrounding areas will go into the billion. Probably get some good deals at Bass Pro at Opry Mills since it is under water. Silvercreek
The Center Hill situation is scary right now. I honestly don't know how all of that is going to work out. I hope for the best.

The 1 hour pulses do nothing to flush the system, it takes consecutive hours of generation to purge the river. I am hopefull, that we can get 4-6 flush one day this week. Good news is that this last little rain will get the lake closer to full pool. Which will lead to more water flows at some point.

silvercreek
05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I haven't heard about any trouble on the Tennesse river system, so maybe they can let some water through. They need to hold that water back on the Cumberland. Clarksville just passed the record flood stage, and Nashville is in big trouble. Going to be very expensive. Mother nature rules. Silvercreek

waterwolf
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I haven't heard about any trouble on the Tennesse river system, so maybe they can let some water through. They need to hold that water back on the Cumberland. Clarksville just passed the record flood stage, and Nashville is in big trouble. Going to be very expensive. Mother nature rules. Silvercreek
I honestly cannot see how the Corps is going to deal with this situation, that river system is completely over run, and the dams/reservoirs are not really built to handle this kind of event. I just hope for y'alls sake it doesn't rain another drop for the next 2 weeks. That will help the most.

MadisonBoats
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Desperately need some generator activity for a few hours in the next day or so. I drove over the river yesterday and it was red. All of the mud, and sediment which follows is extremely damaging to the river. We must have a flush and within the next few days.

If anyone has any influence, a good half day run of water, would make a tremendous difference in the next months/years to follow.

I have contacted several people that are working to relay this issue on the Clinch. They have assured me they will do their best to represent it's negative impact on the water quality of the Clinch to TVA. I believe we should start seeing some changes in the next few days...Well, I hope:rolleyes:

Very difficult time for Middle-West Tennessee. However, this is a once in a decade storm and civil authorities should have their infrastructure up to par to address these situations. Another failure of the ..Corp of Engineers Bureaucracy. That is one positive for us East TN folks that TVA manages our waterways. Grant money vs. endless money....I like our situation much better...

waterwolf
05-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Agreed, I would gladly have TVA versus the Corp. Overall TVA does a great job IMO.

Rodonthefly
05-03-2010, 04:10 PM
How much do you think this rain will help the junk in the water if any? I know they prob won't run any water anytime soon but was wondering what the rain waters will do for the clinch

MadisonBoats
05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
How much do you think this rain will help the junk in the water if any? I know they prob won't run any water anytime soon but was wondering what the rain waters will do for the clinch

Probably not much...I think E. TN was spared the stalled out rain that Nashville received.

*In additional information: it looks like Mike Bone was a step ahead of me...:smile: I was working on getting an article in the Knoxville Sentinel....
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/apr/22/rock-snot-algae-threat-to-fish-in-tennessee/

waterwolf
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
It will change nothing with regards to the didymo free floating. However, it will add massive amounts of sediment to the weed beds which could choke out the nymphs living there.

Good news though, the lake projections by weeks end have Norris at Summer Pool, which should mean some generation starting next week hopefully.

psnapp
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Fished same spot this afternoon that was inundated with algae and rock snot last week ... it has cleared up significantly ... only had to clean junk off nymph 3-4 times in about 3 hrs.

Phil

Tippet
05-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Same thing for me, I only had to clean my fly a couple of times and that was because I began fishing deep holes on the bottom trying to pull the hogs up.