PDA

View Full Version : Elk Is Improving

wm1miller
05-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I hesitate to post this because I have been enjoying the solitude on the Elk this spring. I have had much of the river to myself on several occasions.
But, I until recently I didn't get the opportunity to get out a lot, and had to rely on these forums to know what was happening on the tailwaters.
So, here is the latest on the Elk.
Yesterday I fished Ferris Creek in the a.m. and up near the dam in the p.m. Ferris fished a little better than the upper river, but I did OK both places. Small midges produced better that anything else that I tried.
All of the brown trout that I caught were very small 6" to 9". The rainbows were larger, 10" to 13".
Now, let me be clear, the fishing is not great. You have to work for your fish and nothing works consistently. The catching may be great for 45 minutes, then nothing for an hour.
The bottom line is, the fishing gets a little better everytime I go.
Wm in the Boro

BamaBum
05-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I fished Ferris on Friday from 2-5. The browns were very aggressive. Caught some small 6-9 inch as you said also, but did catch several 10-12 inch on top. I was only throwing to fish that were sipping, but they seemed to like the Dry Hackle if is was twitched. Put some Frogs Fannie on it and as it popped back on top they would hammer it. Fun Stuph!!!

wm1miller
05-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Fun! Fun! Fun!
And my guess is that you had the whole area to yourself.
We need to enjoy it while we can.
Wm