PDA

View Full Version : Caney Flowing

BlueRaiderFan
05-03-2010, 12:35 PM
at 1,000,000 cfs. That is all.

MadisonBoats
05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Insane...get some pics if you can. I am sure that the river map may change with this one.

BlueRaiderFan
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I was just joking, but I may not be far from the truth. I don't think we will be fishing for a while...

gutshot
05-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Not good.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1909498&page=1#Post1909498

silvercreek
05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
For now Center Hill is not generating. The lake is going up about one third of a foot per hour. They need to hold back the water if they can so the Cumberland can drop. Thousands are being flooded out of their homes as it is now. I just got back from Old Hickory dam. The water level difference above the dam and below the dam is only about 20 ft, and I am talking about the road that goes over the dam. Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Wow! I hope I'm not down stream of one of these!

Stonefly
05-04-2010, 01:19 AM
I totally realize that the events of this weekend have affected a lot of folks' lives, making fishing seem insignificant, but I still found myself thinking that this is the end of the Caney for the next few years. Sad.

sb

silvercreek
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Stonefly, I hope you are wrong, but I fear you may be right. They are supposed to really ramp up water flow at the dam this week. If they want to get back to the level they seem to want at around 625 ft, they have 20 feet of water in the lake to get rid of. I'm guessing that water is very muddy. That is going to shut off the light to the streambed vegetation, as well as a lot of silt which will get flushed out only when they start getting clean water. That may take some time.

Grumpy
05-04-2010, 09:24 AM
14' & rising, forecast jumping to 19.5 of generation in a few days, lookout Nashville.

Grumpy

Stonefly
05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
My understanding is that the key is the water temp. We were told that during the several years of the dam project, a big rain event that caused high temp water to run for an extended time would essentially kill the entire trout population. The current situation sounds like worst case, except for the fact that its still early in the year.

sb

silvercreek
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Water temp was 50 degrees this morning at Stonewall. Looks like they will open the spillways at noon today. Hope they do not deplete the cold water reserves, or temps will be a problem come summer. May not matter. May be little in the way of trout except for the stockers they put in during the course of the year.

gutshot
05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
From the pictures in the link I provided and the water temp information, it appears that there was a lot of water being taken off the top. If it was below the mid 70s the fish should be fine since this water should be highly oxygenated for the temperature range.

Now the downriver temp is 50 today. I hope for your guys sakes that the corps doesn't have to burn all the cold water at the bottom of the lake to save the dam, but they will do what they think is best for everyone.

The huge bright side is that the river will have sluicing (thanks TVA) and great regulations (thanks TWRA) in the future. No matter what, the Caney Fork has a great chance to get back to what it was a few years ago and better. Those fish grew 1/2" a month before and they can again, as all of the fish were stocked at one point. No worries about spawning being affected or other issues like in wild trout streams. Also, the pressure issues related to many anglers will go away in the short term.

I will support the corps, TVA, and TWRA as much as possible to help them keep the dam safe and get the river back to what it was and can be as quickly as possible. You can bet with great likelyhood that this rain event will never been seen by any of us again.

silvercreek
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
To give some idea of the dire need to hold the water at Center Hill despite its serious condition, Percy Priest went to the top of the spillways and they had to dump water into the Cumberland. Old Hickory Dam just above an already flooded Nashville came with in 7 inches of losing control of the dam. The Corps site discusses this situation. Close call from even greater destruction. Silvercreek