PDA

View Full Version : Cheatham dam

silvercreek
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Absolutely nothing to do with trout fishing, but I was reading the Corps blog. Cheatham dam near Ashland TN is in "free flow" which means water is going over the dam. Supposedly the dam is designed to handle this. Spooky anyway. Silvercreek

txbrown
05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
There is A LOT of water piling up behind it and it is going to get worse. Centerhill is running at 3350 per site and is going to have to start dumping big time soon.

buster55
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
The Corp claims they can relieve the lakes without creating additional flooding. I hope they are right. Percy Priest is 14 feet above normal summer pool and Old Hickory is about the same. The water on both lakes will over flow the dams if they don't let it out. The devastation in and around Nashville is impossible to comprehend. Fortunately I have not been directly affected by the water, but the domino effect is starting. Water rationing is strongly encouraged because one of our only two tratement plants was inundated. The other one barely dodged the bullet. The water came to within less than a foot of getting in.

We'll come out okay, but there are thousands of families that are homeless and as many businesses that are shut down. It's going to be a while before "normal" returns. And to think, I missed the heaviest rain in Nashville because I was fishing on the Tellico.

Alan

silvercreek
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Just got back from Priest. They have all all four spillways open. Highest water I have ever seen below the dam. Center Hill is running one generator, and the lake is way above where they wanted to keep it during repairs. Old Hickory Lake is staying about the same level. The river at Nashville is still dropping, so apparently what they are doing is working for now. We'll see when they also have to start letting water go through Center Hill at a big clip.

txbrown
05-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Centerhill is flowing now. 14,000+ eralier today. lets pray it has somewhere to go.

Grumpy
05-06-2010, 07:48 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_cVtMjiwWLY0/S-GcTWDMg7I/AAAAAAAADFc/ih5gReSEH1k/s800/DSC04007.jpg

buster55
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Not sure how to upload pictures, so I am sending a link. Check out Elm Hill Marina on Monday. Click previous and seee a guy using the telephone in the marina parking lot.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=3892427&id=203890883935&fbid=389797523935