PDA

View Full Version : Leader of Choice?

MadisonBoats
05-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Curious what brand of leader others favor...? I am a big fan of Frog Hair; just - not the price... My leader of choice is the Climax Brand.

Rodonthefly
05-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I have really grown to like rio, don't know why but I do, has anyone tried the orvis floating braided stuff with the no knot system? I bought some of this just havnt tried it yet.

millerdvr
05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I only use the Orvis braided now, it is a couple bucks more but you get two tippets with it , they are very workable, soft, strong and durable.

MadisonBoats
05-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I only use the Orvis braided now, it is a couple bucks more but you get two tippets with it , they are very workable, soft, strong and durable.

Interesting...I may have to try this out...How much fishing would you say you get out of the tippets? I change tippet like it is going out of style...:eek:

ahighlan
05-05-2010, 01:19 PM
For tapered "normal" leaders I use Rio. Affordable and cast really well for me. Haven't had any issue with fish breaking off.

I've been experimenting with Blue Sky furled leaders and have liked them a lot.

I've also used Orvis Floating Braided leaders. I really like these also. I found the tippets they come with get nicked up fairly easily, so I'm not a huge fan of that part. After I use them up I just tie whatever tippet I use to the leader and it works fine.

I'm still figuring out exactly what I like, but that's where I stand now.

Troutman
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I use Orvis super strong. I also tie my own leaders with Orvis SS tippet for bass and big streamer leaders.

Rog 1
05-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I too am partial to Orvis' Super Strong tippet material...for last 3-4 years I have been fishing furled leaders and love them....make changing tippets a lot easier and faster...have found a supplier that makes different lengths so that I can also fish some of my shorter rods without having an inordinate amount of leader attached to my fly line.

Rodonthefly
05-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I too am partial to Orvis' Super Strong tippet material...for last 3-4 years I have been fishing furled leaders and love them....make changing tippets a lot easier and faster...have found a supplier that makes different lengths so that I can also fish some of my shorter rods without having an inordinate amount of leader attached to my fly line.

Who makes your fuled leaders for you? i am interrested in trying those things as much as folks talk about them

ChemEAngler
05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Curious what brand of leader others favor...? I am a big fan of Frog Hair; just - not the price... My leader of choice is the Climax Brand.

Shawn,
I used Orvis for a long time, but have had some quality issues with the last few packs of tippet and leaders I bought. So I have been doing an on stream comparison between FrogHair and Rio. The jury is still out as to which one I like better, however I like the price of Rio more.

I used Orvis braided leaders for a few years, and they worked really well probably 90% of the time. The best part is that there is a loop on the end so you can just keep tying on tippet and reusing the butt section. I would usually use a 2' section of 5X tied to a 2' piece of 6X. However, I couldn't keep the thing floating while fishing dries. Secondly, when fishing to spooky trout on sections of the Clinch and SoHo they would shy away from the line. I believe it was partly because of the dark shadow but also the water that it would spray while casting. I also noticed my catch rates greatly increase once I switched to 12' tapered nylon leaders, so now I only use braided/furled when throwing streamers or poppers.

Wilson10
05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm still looking for my leader of choice. I have used Frog Hair and really liked them, but lately I've been using Orvis super strong because of the price. I'm going to try something new :D

Rog 1
05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Rodonthefly...the ones I use are made by John Quigley...he is a guide in the San Francisco area...go to eBay and look under furled leaders....he sells them on eBay but scroll thru the information part of the listing and he has a website where he lists all the sizes and colors for direct purchase...think he now takes paypal and has not charge shipping in the past...these are as reasonable as I can find and the quality if good.

Rodonthefly
05-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks Rog, i will check that out for sure.

Wilson why didnt you vote for that Orvis mirage'? i thought you liked that stuff

Wilson10
05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Wilson why didnt you vote for that Orvis mirage'? i thought you liked that stuff

I did vote Orvis Leaders. But that Mirage tippet I bought last time must have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. It's cost me quite a few fish here lately and you know it!
For Tippet I'm gonna stick to frog hair, rio, or pay the extra $$ for some seaguar. Everyone is talking about how great that stuff is, but I have not yet tried it out.

I always buy mono leaders and just tip them with flouro.

millerdvr
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Interesting...I may have to try this out...How much fishing would you say you get out of the tippets? I change tippet like it is going out of style...:eek:

The leader on now is the same one I put on last spring, and the tippet section is the same one too, I tie on extra tippet, so it might be a foot shorter but it is still the same leader. With the braided leaders you don't get the bends and kinks in it like the old tapered leaders. Give one a try and you should be more than happy, I think the Orvis' are around 9 dollars.

mora521
05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I used to use the Orvis braided leaders because I fish mostly the smaller creeks where you had to put the fly in the keeper to get around obstructions and like Millerdvr said you did not have to take out the kink where the leader bends around the tip top.I always used the red can Mucilin to rub into the braid which helped keep leader spray to a minimum.I use either Orvis,Umpqua,or Rio knotless tapered leaders nail knotted to the fly line now.I get which ever ones LRO has in stock when I buy them,the last time I bought leaders there it was the 9' 6x Umpqua that they had so that is what I am using now.I do highly recommend the braided leaders for folks that are digitaly challenged when it comes to knots because the only knots you need to know are the surgeons to make the loop for a new tippit and whatever knot you use to tie the fly on.

tnh2owader
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Was a Frog Hair user, but due to the cost, tried RIO and have been using
them ever since. Found they cast well, they are tough, and are some of
the least expensive.:biggrin:

MadisonBoats
05-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Interesting and informing posts! I was surprised that I was the only Climax user. I think I need to try a few Rios... Thanks for the input fellas...

Skipjack
05-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi Guys
I know most of you are not into this leader, but I used it the other day and really liked the way it performed. I did a post on my blog about it.

http://btrussell-fishingthroughlife.blogspot.com/2010/03/knotless-leader-by-scientific-angler.html

purple squirrel
05-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Since I saw a demostration at our local TU chapter meeting of making furled leaders that is all I use. From my 3wt to my 9wt saltwater they all have furled leaders. I have ordered the saltwater ones from Feathercraft, some of the others I gotten from Timsfliesandlies.com shop in Lynchburg, Tn. and a couple for Toobusy on the kayakbassfishing.com forum.