PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Sulphers

Rodonthefly
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I have fished a couple of time since the storms and rain hit last weekend and the hatch has seemed to have not been happening? What's up with that? Think the muddy water and silt from the rains have effected them?

No Hackle
05-07-2010, 10:51 AM
It seem the water was colder for a longer period, maybe that just knocked the hatch back a couple weeks.
Lynn

MadisonBoats
05-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I saw a few coming off the water yesterday. I think the hatch was pushed back from cold water - like Hackle mentioned. I am thinking/hoping they start up in the next two weeks.

ChemEAngler
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I was out there this morning for about 4 hours and never saw the first sulfur. Took a water temp and it was 63 degrees. I have looked back on my fishing log and generally it is August before we start seeing these kind of temps on the Clinch. The silt on the bottom was mind boggling, however the floatsam was not a problem today.

Didn't seem to bother the fish though, they were crushing BHPTs. We caught more fish than we could count, but I did keep count of the fish landed that were in the slot. We landed 8 that were over 14", and 2 that were around 17". After a frustrating start to the morning thanks to another fisherman, it quickly wore off once we got settled into another area and the fish got fired up. I will post some pics later.

Here is to you Mr. River Sprinter! Next time you see somebody walking downstream don't slide down a bank, get in front, and proceed to run down the river ahead of the other people. Especially if they were there well in advance of you and you didn't even have your rod put together. Good river etiquette is to politely ask the person if they mind you fishing ahead or ask where they are going so as to not intrude. However, congrats to you on a good morning. I did notice you had a bend in your rod on multiple occasions, maybe next time we can exchange pleasantries and learn from each other.

Rodonthefly
05-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I was out there this morning for about 4 hours and never saw the first sulphur. Took a water temp and it was 63 degrees. I have looked back on my fishing log and generally it is late August before we start seeing these kind of temps on the Clinch.

Lets thank TVA for that. With little to no flows, I guess the temps are getting up there.

Grannyknot
05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Sounds like good temperatures for Stripers & Muskie to move upriver and begin feasting on trout. :biggrin:

ChemEAngler
05-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Lets thank TVA for that. With little to no flows, I guess the temps are getting up there.

The first fish I landed was the biggest of the day, and he ran me all over the place on 6X. After about a 3 minute fight I released him, but it took forever for him to regain his bearings. The next rainbow was smaller, but it too was slow to recover. From then on I changed to 5X and put the reel to them to get every fish in quickly for the release.

Not only that, but the water was very cloudy and there were carp everywhere.

psnapp
05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Rodney -- Talked to 2 people who fished early Thursday. They mentioned that the sulphur hatch was "decent" around 8 a.m., not 8 p.m.! Gotta get there earlier apparently!

Phil

waterwolf
05-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Just a prediction, but enjoy the few sulphurs which will be around this year, those that aren't killed by the silt.

This will be the last year for sulphurs for a very long time. This is the exact scenario which wiped them out before, TVA and the utter lack of water flows are destroying a river which had recovered nicely.

Sad to see it come to an end in a Month's time period. But thank our friends at TVA water mgt for not running any flows and the heavy silt load for the gift we will suffer with for years to follow.

psnapp
05-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Just a prediction, but enjoy the few sulphurs which will be around this year, those that aren't killed by the silt.

This will be the last year for sulphurs for a very long time. This is the exact scenario which wiped them out before, TVA and the utter lack of water flows are destroying a river which had recovered nicely.

Sad to see it come to an end in a Month's time period. But thank our friends at TVA water mgt for not running any flows and the heavy silt load for the gift we will suffer with for years to follow.

Wow! Such a "gloom and doom" prediction!

WW - do you ever have a positive outlook about ANYTHING or ANYONE? If so, I certainly have not seen that attitude reflected on the LRO board!!!!

Phil Snapp

GrouseMan77
05-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Fished above the weir dam this afternoon and the water looks terrible. The level was good but the skim on top was pretty bad.

waterwolf
05-08-2010, 03:28 AM
Wow! Such a "gloom and doom" prediction!

WW - do you ever have a positive outlook about ANYTHING or ANYONE? If so, I certainly have not seen that attitude reflected on the LRO board!!!!

Phil Snapp
I am a very positive upbeat person, just know what happened in the past when we had major siltation. Remember my last post was just a prediction. Either agree with it or not, I don't care, just leave the attacking me and psycho analyzing me alone. Best I can recall I doubt I have ever done the same to you.

psnapp
05-08-2010, 09:28 AM
WW -- my post was made in haste and admittedly was a little "over the top". My apologies! Will try to refrain from knee-jerk responses.

Phil

No Hackle
05-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Were the bugs you saw at 8am duns or spinners, those sound like spinners left over from previous day. Sulphers usually dont start popping until around 1 o'clock pm. This can vary of course, but I use it as a general rule.
Lynn

psnapp
05-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I didn't ask, NH, but one guy said there was a "hatch" around 8 am. Like you, I would think that's a little early in the day for a hatch and it would make more sense that they were spinners.

waterwolf
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Were the bugs you saw at 8am duns or spinners, those sound like spinners left over from previous day. Sulphers usually dont start popping until around 1 o'clock pm. This can vary of course, but I use it as a general rule.
Lynn
They can come off any time on the Clinch. I have seen great hatches early, great hatches mid day, and great hatches late in the afternoon. Just never can tell, as you said though as a general rule it is later in the day.

Spinner falls are usually hard to hit on the Clinch for me, I have hit a handful over the years, but not seen many. Which is probably due to my time being there which is later in the morning usually.

silvercreek
05-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I take it from the TVA generation schedule that Norris dam does not have an orifice or sluice gate to draw water from the lower water column to maintain a constant flow to the river. Several of the Corps dams have these to improve water quality. Of course we have the problem of too much water on the Caney. It's sort of a Goldilocks situation. Either too much or too little. Silvercreek

ChemEAngler
05-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I take it from the TVA generation schedule that Norris dam does not have an orifice or sluice gate to draw water from the lower water column to maintain a constant flow to the river. Several of the Corps dams have these to improve water quality. Of course we have the problem of too much water on the Caney. It's sort of a Goldilocks situation. Either too much or too little. Silvercreek

The Clinch has sluice gates.