PDA

View Full Version : Keep those fingers crossed

waterwolf
05-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Looks like the Clinch may get some much needed generation on Thursday. Hopefully it isn't too late.

tn hound
05-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I hope they blow that sucker out, get rid of the silt and crap in the water

waterwolf
05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I hope they blow that sucker out, get rid of the silt and crap in the water
You and me both, even though turkey season ends Sunday and fishing season begins Monday. I hope they run 2 generators for a week or more, to clean the river out.

Wilson10
05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm looking forward to a blow out!!! I fished last night and the water still looked pretty bad.

Rodonthefly
05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
it's not to late in my opinon. i was out today and still some nice bugs comming off. But i say let the water roll

waterwolf
05-12-2010, 09:13 PM
2 generators for 4 hours tomorrow, should help tremendously.

MadisonBoats
05-12-2010, 09:44 PM
:biggrin:

I know the sulphurs are coming off down at the church. Man, it is insane how hard the fish were hitting them. I had two break me off (crappy 6x)....

psnapp
05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Amen! Fished Clinch 4 days in a row ... river bottom covered in many areas with that dreaded rock snot from Miller's to 61 ... several partial days of 2-gen discharge to push this stuff down the river system would get a big "HY" from me!

Phil

Rodonthefly
05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Was going to float from millers to peacher orchard with my dad on this high water we are getting. Well, my dad just called and said don't even hook the boat up. He was on Masingill Bridge when he was talking to me, and said the water is muddy and there was all kinds of moss floating down the river. He said it was the worst he has ever seen it. And that you wouldn't be able to make a cast with out getting crap on your line.

Lets hope it works and with what little push it washes it all the way down. Hope it dosn't pile up around the chruch.

MadisonBoats
05-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Rod,
That actually sounds promising in the long run. Especially if the water is that dirty above Masengill. Rarely have I witnessed it that bad above I-75...

Wilson10
05-13-2010, 05:39 PM
I've never seen it like that, but I do think that it is a good thing - Washing all that junk down

psnapp
05-13-2010, 06:54 PM
There wasn't as much floating crap yesterday as 1-2 weeks ago, but in the eddies, it was stacked up just under the surface. Almost needed a stripping basket to avoid picking up crap on your line. 2-gen purge should help clear a lot of the stuff out ... but still keep ya fingers crossed!

Rodonthefly
05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
If they want to run it tomorrow, i'll have no problem with it!!!!! As long as they turn her off on Sat. for the am hours. i'll have no problems if they want to run it in the evenings. Let's face it guys, keeping this river healthy for mine and Wilson's kis and whom ever elses kids for that matter. So they might enjoy it as we have is the most importent thing.

Some may say guides, guide for the sake of calling them selfs a guide. Well i guide to keep my self and others on top of what is going on in the river, in hopes of one day passing it long to the next group to enjoy it.

MadisonBoats
05-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Well i guide to keep my self and others on top of what is going on in the river, in hopes of one day passing it long to the next group to enjoy it.

Rod,
You are a wonderful ambassador for fly fishing and I hope you continue to work hard at promoting our sport. Just remember; never let anyone tell you can't! To that end; you will define yourself as a fly fisherman and as a man!

fishingman62
05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
how will the big flush from yesterday effect the sulpher hatch..... and has anyone checked the river today to see if the flush helped.... we will probably fish it sunday if the weather permits.... if we can't fish we may check out trout fest...
dan

Rodonthefly
05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Reports are the river looks alot better, as far as how will it effect the hatch? Duno, will let you know later on tonight, heading out in a bit to check things out.

Rodonthefly
05-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Worst day on the river in a long while, did not see the first sulpher, managed 1 fish and a coule LRD's. Hope things pick up.

psnapp
05-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Great news! Lot of the junk has been flushed! And, we saw a super duper sulphur hatch this afternoon around 2 -3 -- fish rising like crazy with hundreds of sulphurs up top! Water was so clear it looked like a spring creek! Haleleuah!

Phil

ChemEAngler
05-16-2010, 10:56 AM
looks like they are going to flush it Monday and Tuesday. :smile:

waterwolf
05-16-2010, 01:42 PM
looks like they are going to flush it Monday and Tuesday. :smile:
Big time, good that will keep you out of it :smile: Give me a chance to catch up now that turkey season is over.

fishingman62
05-16-2010, 05:06 PM
fished the clinch today below pech orchard bottom of the river had the same amount of moss and sediment as last sunday.....we did very well lots of fish in the 12 inch range and still the small stocker brookies although some seemed a little fatter this week....wayne caught the biggest fish a 15- 16 inch bow on a guatemala stick bug....we fished till we heard the thunder rumble and none to soon as by the time we got loaded up the rain started to come...i did lose a really nice fish when he made a good jump and threw the hook .....it was fun while it lasted .... flies of choice bill and wayne the guatemala stick bug .....myself green beadhead soft hackle size 14 ....fish were hitting the soft hackle on the drift and swing and also stripping it back.....
dan

waterwolf
05-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Just as I thought would happen. TVA has pushed themselves in a corner and are now projecting 12,500 CFS on Wednesday. Which means the sluice gates are coming open. Exactly the reason why I said the water mgt crew never learns from their mistakes, and gets themselves into situations where they have far too much water, because they were paranoid of a little dry spell.

Hope it doesn't end up happening, and as of today, it is really going to have to get crazy with the rainfall to cause the lake to rise that rapidly.

silvercreek
05-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Perhaps they were not as paranoid of a little dry spell as they were of a little wet spell in southwest , TN. The Cumberland was the main problem, but there appeared to be some high water from the Tennesse River in the southeast part of the state. Maybe they were holding back for that reason. Just speculating.

waterwolf
05-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Perhaps they were not as paranoid of a little dry spell as they were of a little wet spell in southwest , TN. The Cumberland was the main problem, but there appeared to be some high water from the Tennesse River in the southeast part of the state. Maybe they were holding back for that reason. Just speculating.
This holding back started in March and was long before the rain event. This was typical TVA stressing about filling lakes, and rather then being smart about things, went to the extreme. Now they may have to go to the extreme in the other direction.

Tippet
05-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Question if anyone can remember. I grew up on Norris Lake and the Clinch, and I was wondering what the History of the flood guide TVA uses was. We know now their magic number is 1020, but what was it in the 80's and 90's. I remember water marks we used on the lake, and it seems like they have a higher flood guide now. I also remember when it was a big deal for the water to get to the bottom of the gates and now it routinely stays there during the summer. Anyone who knows I am curious.

MickT
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
They hold the lake higher and for a longer period of time now for recreational boaters. It's the same on all the TVA lakes. People want to be able to drive their boats wherever, whenever, and the boaters and marina owners have better connections to the people that matter . These lakes are managed with the exact opposite of natural flood/drought scenarios. The water is low in the winter and spring, and highest in summer and fall, where the natural rhythm is the exact opposite. It makes terrible habitat for most species, except water skiers!

waterwolf
05-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Question if anyone can remember. I grew up on Norris Lake and the Clinch, and I was wondering what the History of the flood guide TVA uses was. We know now their magic number is 1020, but what was it in the 80's and 90's. I remember water marks we used on the lake, and it seems like they have a higher flood guide now. I also remember when it was a big deal for the water to get to the bottom of the gates and now it routinely stays there during the summer. Anyone who knows I am curious.

1020 has been full pool for eons, and 1024 I believe is what they consider flood elevation. Usually they won't sluice or anything else until the water surpasses 1024, but by the looks of the projected releases 1020 is the new number. Which is confusing.

Rodonthefly
05-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Who's the dumb *** in charge now, Having grown up in Norris, I remeber that the water levels would get away from them every 6 years or so and they would have to spill water or open the sulic gates....Now it seems like it's happening more and more often. It's BS, that someone's in charge that dosnt know what the **** they are doing. Oh well, who ever said that TVA was the brightest thing to ever hit the Tennessee Valley anyways. Whooped **** they came in and made jobs for a few thousand poeple. Those folks would have continued to farm and live life with out them, if they wouldn't have.

Keep up the good work TVA!!!!!! The yankee navy loves it!!!!!!

MadisonBoats
05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
You guys should search the last WBIR interview with the TVA Flood Control. I was amazed at how much variability (judgment calls) goes in to their flood control process. Maybe it was just me; but, I felt very uneasy about the whole process after watching the video.

psnapp
05-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Just noticed the release schedule for next 3 days, and they have backed it down to avg 5,600 cfs from 12,100 for Wed! This is the 3rd change in forecasted releases for Norris that I have seen since yesterday!

I used to supervise one of the software support groups for TVA's Reservoir Operations, and I know there are schedule changes based on downstream elevations and flooding conditions, weather forecasts, power plant outages, water temps from power plant discharges, political pressures (e.g. if Zach Wamp calls up and wants to raft the Ocoee, better believe they can turn the schedule on a dime!), special navigation needs, yada, yada, yada, but what the heck is going on!!! This is the biggest variance I remember in trib scheduling!

Anybody minding the shop down in the West Tower these days?

Phil

Rodonthefly
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Phil[/QUOTE]

Naww, they just started the back 9 at willow springs phil....After the sun came out and they finished their beer in the club house they said ok back to golf back the water off boys it an't that bad.

Tippet
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I asked around today and found out like the above poster said the water levels are because of recreation schedule in the summer. I know the 1020 mark has been used since the dam was built all over the lake. That is what they go buy for land and property surveys and so on. I also know the 1020 is basically the bottom of the flood gates, and 1034 is the top. I also know the gates are supposed to be 15 ft tall that is probably why we see some leakage when it hits around 1019. I just never recall as a kid them riding so close to the 1020 for such long period of times. Can they not let it ride around 1015 and adjust their recreational generating accordingly. It just seems like they are flirting with that flood guide way too much. It is also causing a lot of bank erosion on the lake due to the long amount of time they keep it at 1020. There seems like there needs to be more research done to balance these factors out, but then again that would mean they couldn't stair out the window all afternoon doing nothing.

psnapp
05-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Phil

Naww, they just started the back 9 at willow springs phil....After the sun came out and they finished their beer in the club house they said ok back to golf back the water off boys it an't that bad.[/QUOTE]

Rod -- LOL!! Don't know what that group is like these days, but back in the 80's, they were a very dedicated, hard-working bunch! Have seen them work around the clock during flood events. Seriously! Stop laughin'!

Phil