PDA

View Full Version : millers island 5-11

2weightfavorite
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I fished just down stream of the Island starting around 8:30 this morning. I had never fished that stretch before, so I started in what I thought looked like a good area. All morning there was a sporadic sulfer hatch. Just enough bugs on the water to reveal some hungry fish. I think I landed around 12 or so, mostly nice fat rainbows, one of which about 15 inches long. I used a cripple sulfer dry and dropped a pheasant tail off the back of it. Every fish except one hit the nymph.
One thing that made it hard today was the wind, I ended up drifting long drifts down stream. I would mend and feed line and mend some more. I did notice however that this definitely decreased my bite to landing fish ratio, alot of bites came 40 feet down stream, and there was always slack line on the water when I would get a bite... Fun none the less though!

psnapp
05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Fished below Miller's yesterday p.m. and there were sporadic sulphur hatches in the afternoon as well ... nothing major, though. Just not much water up that way ... spent as much time looking for water as I did fishing.

Phil

ttas67
05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I fished miller's this evening. no bugs to speak of. no trout caught either.

2weightfavorite
05-12-2010, 05:54 AM
from my small experience at millers island I found that you have to walk ALL the way to the end of the island to find any good water. There is a nice waist deep run at the end, and then farther down there is some more good fishing water..

psnapp
05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
2-wt -- I was being facetious! I fished Miller's long before the weir dam was ever built and used to know that area fairly well. I hadn't fished there in about 30 yrs (ever since someone chucked corn across my fly line!) and had forgotten how quickly that area drains when the gen's are turned off. Lots of great fishing downstream from there ... all the way to 61!

Phil

MadisonBoats
05-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Miller's Island is killer in the fall and winter. It is way too shallow in most spots at the moment to fish for my taste... However; it becomes very good when TVA is on a consistent generation schedule and not just pulsing.

mstone
05-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Speaking of pulsing, I saw where they turned loose some water today. Ran generators till 10:00 I think. Just got back from up there this afternoon after spending four straight days fishing up from the jail. First two days were very good for me, then it slowed somewhat. Fish look to be in great shape. Caught my best brown to date on the river fishing the sulphur hatch on Monday. Ready to float once they start generating more. It's really good to see the Clinch on the rebound.

mstone