PDA

View Full Version : Wet wade?

Jubal
05-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I know the beginning of this week has set us back a bit with the lower temps in the morning...but, anybody wet wading yet? Got a backpack/fishing trip the weekend and trying to cut the load and would like to leave the waders at home if possible. If I wasn't hiking so far I would likely use the waders but as you know, cutting 1 pound will feel like 5 pounds after a couple miles.

thanks.

tennswede
05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I wet wade from mid April and on in to October. The key is to wear nylon pants and maybe wading pants underneath in the early part of the season. Definitely not worth hauling waders this far in to May. Just my 2 cents.

Jubal
05-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I wet wade from mid April and on in to October. The key is to wear nylon pants and maybe wading pants underneath in the early part of the season. Definitely not worth hauling waders this far in to May. Just my 2 cents.

i'm completely agree...but these recent cooler temps are throwing me off. haven't been able to step into the water for about 2 weeks now.

thanks

WVBrookie
05-12-2010, 02:02 AM
I was wet wading down there Easter weekend (also second weekend of November 2009). :biggrin:

Once you make it past that initial "shock", you'll be fine. Make sure you layer up above the waste.

Chris

Crockett
05-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I too have been wet wading since early April many times. I have some neoprene socks that seem to help a lot. Got a little cold in early April but the last 3 weeks it has been very comfortable for me at least.

GrouseMan77
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
I will be wet wading today. :p

Rog 1
05-12-2010, 09:24 AM
I was actually fishing in shorts the last week in March...I have fished the Park from Mid-April through October without waders....generally do a lot of hiking while I fish and have never relished carrying the extra weight...can only remember one occasion when I had to get out of the water and build a fire to warm my bones...later that same day we were fishing in short sleeves.

Mundele
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Another recommendation for neoprene socks. If you can stay in water shallower than your thighs, you'll stay warmer.. :)

flyman
05-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I am usually wet wading within the first hour. It generally doesn't take long for me to fall in and get soaking wet:eek:

Mr. Mike
05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
In addition to or in place of the neoprene socks recommended by a couple of posters, I find that some polypro long underwear bottoms make big difference when wet wading in cold temps, and they take up a lot less room in a pack than waders.

alexys01
05-12-2010, 04:51 PM
You should be able to wet wade. I wear shorts to wet wade. If the water is too cold for shorts I just wear my waders. I do not like the uncomfortableness of wearing wet pants. Not to mention the net gain in packing extra dry pants , long underwear and underwear vs packing the waders isnt going to be that significant.