PDA

View Full Version : Simms waders

No Hackle
05-17-2010, 02:30 PM
How many of you have Simms and what do you think of their durability. I'm rough as a cobb and would value your opinions, before I drop 3 or 4 bills on waders.
Lynn

Carlito
05-17-2010, 04:32 PM
I've had a pair of the Guide waders since 2004... I'm rough as **** on them, and I haven't had the first problem. I often slide down rocks on my butt, charge through brush and briers, and just generally waller around. My only complaint would be weight, but that's a very minor issue. Besides, they may not have held up as well if they were lighter anyway.

jeffnles1
05-17-2010, 09:48 PM
I have a pair of Simms Freestone waders. They're not terribly expensive but have held up well for 4 years now and like Carlito, I'm not very kind to waders. I fish pretty much getting in probably 100+ days a year on the water. About half of those are wearing waders and these Simms are the only waders I own.

So far, no leaks. This spring, I noticed just a little dampness on my feet around where the booties are sewn to the legs but it's not bad enough to go about tryingto fix anything.

When these finally bite the dust, I'd gladly buy another pair with no second thoughts.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

No Hackle
05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm thinking about getting the convertibles. I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to respond, it has been real help.
Lynn

92Esquire
05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I've had two pair of the L2 waders, which I've worn for the past 5 years or so. The first pair lasted a good 3 1/2 years before I retired them. They weren't the guides, and were a bit more lightly constructed, but I fished them pretty hard, and did my fair share of bushwhacking in them. At one point I spilled 100% DEET on them, and they developed some pinhole leaks. They went back to Simms, who repaired them for $9 including shipping, and were returned with a new patch kit and some aquaseal. After several rock-sliding episodes, I had a couple more leaks, and decided to buy another pair (as the L2's had been discontinued and were heavily discounted). I'll be wearing these until they fail, and then I might trade up to the Guides.

When I bought the first pair, I had decided on another company's waders. The shop owner (not LRO) refused to sell me any waders but Simms. I was told that the company that I wanted waders from had a track record of about 30% of the waders coming back within the first few months leaking, and Simms did not. The Simms were more expensive, but man I have been pleased with my purchase since.

Sage
05-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Didn't want to go the Simms route, but man was I tired of leaky waders. Tried Orvis, about as waterproof as my vest. Tried Patagonia, they're still in the box to send back for repair. Once I finally broke down and bought the G3's, I've forgotten to even think about the Pat's. Man do I treat waders tough, what with the park and all, plus walking mile after mile on tailwaters. I always protect them on the way home and hang dry then roll up loosely and place in my gear bag, but when I'm fishing, I'm not the most careful. Get 'em, you'll love 'em.

BlueRaiderFan
05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I had really good luck with my Chota's and my Simms seem to be holding up fine.

Trip
05-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Good to know, I have had my Orvis for about 2 months now and have about 3 to 4 holes. I am not really sure, water is coming in from somewhere though. LOL

Owl
05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
My Simms waders are about 7 years old. Not one leak. I crawl in them, slide in them, scrape them, bang them, and don't wash them( can't wash off the trout luck). AND, when I got them back 7 years ago I bought the cheapest pair they made. Simms made a believer out of me.

Carolina Boy
05-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Simply the best. I bought a pair forever ago, I have now had them replaced by Simms 3 times free of charge. I am brutal on gear, and so when I spring a leak I mail em back and Simms sends me a new pair. there are some stipulations on the return policy but I have never an an issue, Love their boots, flats sneakers etc.. American operated. Good people, good products.

No Hackle
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
again guys thanks for all the info. I think you all have made up my mind for me. This will be my 6th pair in 15 years and I want to improve my %, before .I dont mind spending money when I can rely on my equipment.
Thanks again, Lynn

judgebw
01-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a pair of Simms G3 waders that are in their 3rd year. They are the best waders I've ever had. Best feature is the great fit of the bootie. Extremely durable. I like the hand-warmer pocket to keep my hands warm and my hankie dry. Made in Montana. Simms makes any repairs that might be needed.

Knothead
01-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I'm on my third and last pair of Cabelas waders. Every pair that I had leaked around the tape on the boots. This last pair leaked and Cabelas wanted me to send them back, at my expense, for evaluation. The would repair or replace them. Actually, I didn't want another pair of Cabelas waders. FWIW, my wife has Hodgeman waders and so far, no problems. I will definitely look at Simms for my next waders.

kentuckytroutbum
01-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I have a pair of Simms G3 waders that are in their 3rd year. They are the best waders I've ever had. Best feature is the great fit of the bootie. Extremely durable. I like the hand-warmer pocket to keep my hands warm and my hankie dry. Made in Montana. Simms makes any repairs that might be needed.

+1 on the Simms G3's! My wife & I both have G3's that are two years old, and they are the best. We both got tired of leaky waders, and spent the money for the Simms. We've not regretted our decision, and they are still leak free.

Bill

ChemEAngler
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I have a pair of Freestone waders that I bought 5 years ago this spring. Have yet to develop a leak or have seam tape come loose. (Knock on wood) My next pair when I decide to retire these will be Simms as well. This was the cheapest pair Simms offered at that time, and I actually bought them on clearance for $139. They are very comparable to the Blackfoot line Simms currently carries.

As far as maintenance goes, I wash mine after probably every 15 trips. And after each wash I spray them with Revivex repellent. Makes them as good as new. I always hang to dry for at least 3 days after each trip, and then roll them up for storage. Never folding, as the creases can cause weak spots in the material. Also, I wear my waders on the majority of my trips since it is primarily tailwater fishing, between 30 and 40 trips a year.

I am curious about the repairs others have mentioned. I have never had to send them back for anything, so that intrigues me. If it is a 100% lifetime guarantee, then that can't be beat. That may be something worth looking into, and could be a critical factor in a person's decision making process. One pair with a lifetime guarantee should be a hands down winner over a pair that may cost 1/3 the price but have to be replaced every 3 years.

kentuckytroutbum
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
ChemE-

I'm with you on keeping your waders clean which apparently extends the life of a pair of waders. After each trip, I carefully wash the mud & grime off of the waders and hang them up to thoroughly dry for a couple of days. Also, I want to make sure that I've removed any didymo from the waders, boots, and any other gear thats been in the water.

I searched a long time for these waders, talked to friends, talked to my local fly shop, etc. Everyone said to get Simms. Simms guarantee is no "BS."

Thanks for the tip about ReviveX, I'll try to get some next time I can find it at an outdoor store. Wasn't aware that it would help maintain waders, and I would guess that it would work on GoreTex outerwear.

Thanks

Bill

Heavynets
01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I've had the same luck with medium quality Simms as I had with medium quality Cabela's. They were both OK, but nothing special. Since I have a hard time paying more that $175 for anything, I currently own a pair of Frogg Togg waders that I got for about $115. So far they are great, but I'll know more in another year or two.

Here is an excellent video on how two repair pin holes in any breathable wader.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/repairs_main_new.html

Knothead
01-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Good video and great information! I'm going to try that with my waders and see what happens. I fished yesterday and the right boot was full of water plus small leaks in other places.