PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork River Conditions Meeting

TNFishnstix
05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
I know there are some CFR folks that frequent here, thought you might find this meeting something of interest. I was given this information by Linda Adcock, project manager for the Center Hill Dam construction project. Best wishes, hope to see some of you there.

Leo deMonbreun

Attention: All Fishermen, Guides and Caney Fork River Enthusiasts
Caney Fork Workshop – Thursday, 27 May 6:00-8:00 at Center Hill Resource Manager’s Maintenance Shop Facility
Co-Hosted by TWRA and the Corps of Engineers, Nashville District

Thursday, May 27th, TWRA and the Corps of Engineers will conduct a Caney Fork Workshop for fishermen, guides and the general public. The purpose is to discuss factors affecting the Caney Fork water quality and fishery over the past year, particularly increased rainfall and generation. We will address river users’ observance of muddy flow and sediment deposits. The Corps will describe water quality treatment associated with the seepage construction. Tennessee Tech University biologists will describe the results of fish sampling over the past year. TWRA will explain the rationale for the current trout creel limits and stocking plans for the year. We welcome your participation and comments.

Date: Thursday, May 27th
Where: Center Hill Resource Manager’s Maintenance Shop Facility
When: 6:00 - 8:00
Who: Corps, TWRA, TTU/USGS

Workshop Agenda:

I. Welcome and Introductions

II. Trout Creel Limits & Stocking Plans- Jason Henegar (TWRA)

III. Seepage Rehabilitation Update & Other
Seepage Overview & Aeration Plans- Linda Adcock (Corps)
Best Management Practices- David Loyd (Corps)

IV. 2009- A Year in Review (30 mins)
Water Management- Bob Sneed (Corps)
Water Quality Monitoring- Richard Tippit (Corps)
Recent Fish Sampling Results- Tomas Ivasauskas or Phil Betolli (TTU)

IV. Discussion – (ALL)

wm1miller
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Leo, Thanks for the information.

I will not be back in the area until Friday, the 28th, so I, along with others who are unable to attend, would really appreciate a brief synopsis of the meeting.

Thanks for all you do to keep us informed.

Wm

TNFishnstix
05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Leo, Thanks for the information.

I will not be back in the area until Friday, the 28th, so I, along with others who are unable to attend, would really appreciate a brief synopsis of the meeting.

Thanks for all you do to keep us informed.

Wm

Will do, I am taking my recorder and camera, and will gladly pass on what is said by the group! should be an interesting meeting, I am nxious to hear hat they have to say about the water quality and lack of fish in the upper river.

LD

fishingman62
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
i'm with wm on this one i will be heading up home to pa for the holiday weekend....anything you can post would give all of us some much needed answers.....thaxs in advance
dan

dbutler080263
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks wm looking forward to the report

white95v6
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
ok does anyone have a adress on this place. me and a few friends are thinking about coming.

silvercreek
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Here is a link to the address.
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/CEN/rec/pdf/CaneyForkWorkshop27May2010.pdf

JoelO
05-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm pretty sure its where you turn off to go to the parking area (to fish the steps) up by the dam. Leo can confirm.

white95v6
05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure its where you turn off to go to the parking area (to fish the steps) up by the dam. Leo can confirm.

yea i seen a post on Cumberland Transit that said to go there.

mcfly
05-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Were there any announcements made or any outcomes from this meeting?

Mike_Anderson
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Yes they say the river is in good shape....

silvercreek
05-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Then it must have been a short meeting.

gutshot
06-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Was there any Trout Unlimited sponsorship at this meeting? Or is TU largely against tailwater fisheries?

One would think that TU, if interested, would be leading the charge into water quality testing issues?

Jon
06-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Gutshot, There was TU representation at the meeting and we have and are working with TWRA and the Corp with regards to the Caney Fork. There are many organizations along with TU that are interested in the water quality of not only the Caney but other rivers both cold and warm in Middle TN. For example, The Cumberland Compact is a great organization and does many great things for the river and the entire Cumberland River watershed. Anglers need to get involved with not only organizations like TU but other organizations that are trying to impact our fisheries in a positive manner.

Thanks,

Jon

gutshot
06-02-2010, 03:05 AM
The Cumberland river compact looks pretty good to me. Actually a lot better than TU since they sponsor a fishing event for kids, but if either group works to improve water quality that is a good thing, IMO.

I hope the TU reps or others (CRC, etc) will post their progress on this or other boards.