PDA

View Full Version : South Holston Report: May 19, 2010

MadisonBoats
05-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Fished the S.Holston today and it was like fishing in a barrel as usual. Man that is a great river. Sulphers came on hard around 4-5. Caught most of my fish with a shadow cast technique in to the rise. Netted about 60 for the day.

waterwolf
05-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Shadow Casting??????? Really?

Glad you had a good day on the SOHO, it has been quite year up there from what I have heard.

mstone
05-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Good report Madison Boats, that goes along with what I've been hearing too. I've got plans to go this weekend for the first time this year. To get there though, I go right by the
Clinch and that may be hard. I'll be by myself so I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Did you fish up high ,or did you fish downstream a ways. I'm worried about the weekend crowd but that's the way it is.

mstone

MadisonBoats
05-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Shadow Casting??????? Really?

Yes, even though the fish were hitting sulphurs; they were still picky with the flies. I caught a few of the sulphurs and noticed most were egg-layers and were dropping and releasing-this was stirring up the fish and made them less picky. So, I shadow cast right in to the rise and they hit it immediately.:smile: That small adjustment equated significantly more fish than a natural drift.

waterwolf
05-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, even though the fish were hitting sulphurs; they were still picky with the flies. I caught a few of the sulphurs and noticed most were egg-layers and were dropping and releasing-this was stirring up the fish and made them less picky. So, I shadow cast right in to the rise and they hit it immediately.:smile: That small adjustment equated significantly more fish than a natural drift.
The only thing I have ever heard called shadow casting is the ridiculous show Brad Pitt did in a River Runs Through It.

old east tn boy
05-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Read somewhere that it was actually a local guide doing the casting, not Brad Pitt.

Maurer
05-20-2010, 11:13 PM
I believe it was Gary Borger

Rockyraccoon
05-20-2010, 11:22 PM
I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was Gary Borger that did the infamous "shadow cast" and other long distance shots in the film.

Over the years, I've had a few clients try to do it (Shadow Cast) too....and it never seems to work out that well and often ends in a birds nest, requiring nippers and more tippet.

MadisonBoats
05-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Wow! I am extremely surprised more of you do not use the shadow cast. One of the easiest casts and extremely effect. Very quick reset time and minimal action required. Just remember to stop the rod at 12 o'clock....

waterwolf
05-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Think I will just discretely move on from this topic.....

silvercreek
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
It was Jason Borger, the son, doing the casting.

Grannyknot
05-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I always thought the shadow cast was like the fabled "fumble-rooski" play in football, in that it isn't really a functional option, even if it worked one time.

You learn something new ever day.

http://www.stripersurf.com/images/micus27_2.jpg

waterwolf
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I always thought the shadow cast was like the fabled "fumble-rooski" play in football, in that it isn't really a functional option, even if it worked one time.

http://www.stripersurf.com/images/micus27_2.jpg

You would be correct, and the fumble rooski actually did work, until it got banned.

MadisonBoats
05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Think I will just discretely move on from this topic.....

Thanks for telling is about it...

waterwolf
05-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for telling is about it...
Your welcome.

duckypaddler
05-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Fished the S.Holston today and it was like fishing in a barrel as usual. Man that is a great river. Sulphers came on hard around 4-5. Caught most of my fish with a shadow cast technique in to the rise. Netted about 60 for the day.

Where you in a drift boat? If so mabe down river was where it was at. It was my third time there and I was a bit dissappointed. I guess it all about expectations (first 2 times there were the best tailwater fishing I had even done). I fished from 11 to 7. I only caught 15 and nothing of any size (although I did loose 2 good ones).:frown:

I got in a decent run before the release. They were popping without any insect activity to speak of. After the release, I found slow fishing until I got down to slower water where there was a decent hatch for a short time. By the time I waived my buddy down there it was almost gone. Orange sulfers that looked yellow from 5 feet away. Fish were hitting like crazy for only 20 minutes. I missed a ton more fish that usual and not sure if they are just bumping it. When I lost a fly & switched to yellow sulphur, the trout only looked at it. By the time I switched back hatch was over and only an occasion fish would surface. Finished up at the weir dam for some fresh stockers on the way out. I'm guessing downstream the bugs might have been epic. A wise man encouraged my to fish downstream, and I should have listened.

duckypaddler
05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
:smile:Wednesday I was on Starkey Creek in the Smokies. Been a good week!

MadisonBoats
05-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Where you in a drift boat?
I got in a decent run before the release. They were popping without any insect activity to speak of. After the release, I found slow fishing until I got down to slower water where there was a decent hatch for a short time. By the time I waived my buddy down there it was almost gone. Orange sulfers that looked yellow from 5 feet away. Fish were hitting like crazy for only 20 minutes. I missed a ton more fish that usual and not sure if they are just bumping it. When I lost a fly & switched to yellow sulphur, the trout only looked at it. By the time I switched back hatch was over and only an occasion fish would surface. Finished up at the weir dam for some fresh stockers on the way out. I'm guessing downstream the bugs might have been epic. A wise man encouraged my to fish downstream, and I should have listened.

Duckypaddler, no we were just walking the shoals below the upper bridge. The only real sulphur hatch we had was about an hour long. Like I said in my post; I had to shadow cast them to imitate the female egg layers to get them to take. They were picky with their selection. Watch close and you will see them follow every fly; just pick through them. You can bump your fly slightly too instigate a hit too... I will try and get some pics up next week. I did not have a camera; so, I will have to rely on getting them from one of my other crew.

Rockyraccoon
05-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Wow! I am extremely surprised more of you do not use the shadow cast. One of the easiest casts and extremely effect. Very quick reset time and minimal action required. Just remember to stop the rod at 12 o'clock....

Perhaps your shadow cast is known by a more common name, and not necessarily based on the fictitious "shadow cast" from the movie. Sounds a little to me like what I call the pick up and lay down. First cast I teach all first time Sports. Could also be close to a steeple cast.

But who knows, you might have some casting gold going on that we all might need to see in action to appreciate......by whatever name you call it.

MadisonBoats
05-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Perhaps your shadow cast is known by a more common name, and not necessarily based on the fictitious "shadow cast" from the movie. Sounds a little to me like what I call the pick up and lay down. First cast I teach all first time Sports. Could also be close to a steeple cast.

But who knows, you might have some casting gold going on that we all might need to see in action to appreciate......by whatever name you call it.

Well, my shadow cast is based on an interpretation from a few books I have read. What I do is I try to mimick the female egg layers that are dropping and releasing. I try to drop my fly in to the pool with the presentation of a mayfly landing. If done correctly; it creates attention to your fly and excites the trout so that they hit out of instinct-rather than selection. It works very well during a selective hatch. Also, I tend to select a fly size slightly larger than the hatch. I am aware of the movie's interpretation of a shadow cast and that is different than my technique.

I try to challenge myself to be able to fish any water and in any conditions. I enjoy learning and understanding when to use certain methods of casting and fishing. Yes, some end up being minimally viable; but, it is great to have them in your skill set if needed. My crew from last week described my style as "He said that you are more intuitive and that you “feel” the river".... I am not trying to argue or debate styles; just trying to share techniques and methods that others might find interesting.

Rockyraccoon, you are welcome to fish with me any time. I enjoy meeting new people and sharing stories about life and fishing. Now, if you are an Eeyore-I may have to ditch you on the bank:biggrin: