PDA

View Full Version : "Edgy" Fish

fourx
05-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I was reading a thread where Waterwolf was describing the Clinch trout as being "edgy", specifically during sulphurtime.
Well I just got back from fishing the SoHo this weekend and the fish were well...different.
TONS of late afternoon duns on the water and the fish weren't going crazy like years past. When they did rise to a natural 1/2 the time it wasn't a dun. Normally with this dense a hatch little heads AND big heads would be rising like crazy. Way too much food passing by. Hmm?
I heard that there was a pretty good "30 min. before dark" spinnerfall.
Could the big ones be waiting for the spinners at dark? I had to bad a hangover to wait.
As far as Clinch trout go, I'm thinking it's a great year for bugs, a great population of hard-fighting fish of good size, and they are getting more fly-lines beaten and drifted over their heads then ever, ever before.
Fishing down low this spring was like taking candy from BIG babies and one didn't see but just a handfull of fishermen. I reckon with the fair weather and yellow bugs comes the hoards and don't think the trout aren't showing it. I'm not blaming anybody cause we all like to fish but these crowded tailrace fish are going to take stealth and presentation to catch unlike the suckas of winter and spring.

Good luck,
4X

ChemEAngler
05-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I was reading a thread where Waterwolf was describing the Clinch trout as being "edgy", specifically during sulphurtime.
Well I just got back from fishing the SoHo this weekend and the fish were well...different.
TONS of late afternoon duns on the water and the fish weren't going crazy like years past. When they did rise to a natural 1/2 the time it wasn't a dun. Normally with this dense a hatch little heads AND big heads would be rising like crazy. Way too much food passing by. Hmm?
I heard that there was a pretty good "30 min. before dark" spinnerfall.
Could the big ones be waiting for the spinners at dark? I had to bad a hangover to wait.
As far as Clinch trout go, I'm thinking it's a great year for bugs, a great population of hard-fighting fish of good size, and they are getting more fly-lines beaten and drifted over their heads then ever, ever before.
Fishing down low this spring was like taking candy from BIG babies and one didn't see but just a handfull of fishermen. I reckon with the fair weather and yellow bugs comes the hoards and don't think the trout aren't showing it. I'm not blaming anybody cause we all like to fish but these crowded tailrace fish are going to take stealth and presentation to catch unlike the suckas of winter and spring.

Good luck,
4X

Agreed. As more people pound the water and these fish get some age on them I think they will just continue to be more difficult to catch. Like I have said before, the sulfur hatch is fun. But after a couple of weeks of combat fishing I am ready for the solitude I find on a fall afternoon when the fish are taking midges and most of the fair weather fishermen have put away their gear for the year.

waterwolf
05-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Pressure could be the reason, they sure acted like they had been hammered. Part of the issues with spreading it out there for everyone to see just how good a river is fishing. It dries up quick, and brings the hoardes, many of which don't release what they catch, which is a much bigger issue then a few spooky fish.

The fish on Saturday, and Sunday were as edgy as I have ever seen them on the Clinch, and the crowds are almost unbearable. It seems everyone who has ever heard of, or fished the river is pounding it to pieces. A shame, considering the potential it was beginning to show.

Oh well, time for me to vanish to parts less traveled and wait for the masses to lose interest.

Rodonthefly
05-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah well 4x better change your name to 6x or 7x man....... :biggrin:

Pressure, yeah well that might have something to do with it. But also keep in mind these fish had along winter with nothing but high water. Then along spring with nothing but low water. In my opinion when they cut the water off back in March the fish was feeding like crazy. I would to if I didn't have to worry about my food going past me at 3000-6000 cfps or what ever it is when they run water. Now, that full pull has got here and TVA is starting to run more, I think has put the fish in kind of oh **** mode. High water, low water, high water low water...... And with the changes in water, comes changes in water temps. I think Travis aka Chemangler said water temps were around 63 and that was 2 or 3 weeks ago. That right there will play a big roll, 63 one day and then freez your fins off the next.

Not say pressure dosn't play a roll ,but I don't think it's the major cause. In times like this go to a longer leader, step down a size smaller in tippit change something little about your fly to make it different from just a ol' black thread and silver wire midge that everyone has 2 dozen of.

waterwolf
05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Rodney, pretty good observations. The main reasoning I look at is the absolutely crystal clear water and higher sun angles this time of year. Combine any of that with a little pressure, and no wind, and things get ugly fast.

Rodonthefly
05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Crystal clear water and high sun...Yeah I can see that was well. I went out and fished/ well played with my 3 year old there at the bend when I passed you guys. I did notice that the water was crystal clear and he was spotting fish like crazy. I'm sure they were spotting us as well being in a big white drift boat. Which leads me to the question, dose fishing from a boat/raft help or hurt fishing? Can the fish more easily pick you off? Or is it more say a mind control when casting to fish you see causing you to screw things up? I tend to catch more when I can't see them. Now head huntting is a different story. I can catch raising fish. Also I know you can cover alot of the river drifting.

fourx
05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Just got back from fishing the Clinch for just a couple hrs. this evening.
There was a decent hatch but it only lasted about 45 min. But... Trout were gobbling duns down where I was. They hopped on the fly quite a few times but it was a little short lived.
I left around 6 and there could have well been a monster hatch in the evening with the rain and all but I'll never know.
Dang I love fishing! I reckon a bunch of us do.

4X

MadisonBoats
05-25-2010, 09:22 PM
One thing I have always advocated is understanding the nature of fish and their habits. I don't think there is a situation called "Edgy Fish". Especially if they get hit on the weekends with about 15-20 boats floating over them. That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The fishing has been very good on the Clinch the last week. You just have to pay attention to what is going around you...Like I have said before; I seine the river and change my flies accordingly. We hooked in to plenty of fish; but, some will throw out there contentious negativity and hide behind their posts that the Clinch is lousy and anyone that does well is clueless.:rolleyes:

Friends; educate yourselves and understand the fish. Forget river veterans; because they may just hamper your efforts and close you in to fishing a boring cycle of midges. Plus, negative people breed negativity...

waterwolf
05-25-2010, 10:34 PM
One thing I have always advocated is understanding the nature of fish and their habits. I don't think there is a situation called "Edgy Fish". Especially if they get hit on the weekends with about 15-20 boats floating over them. That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The fishing has been very good on the Clinch the last week. You just have to pay attention to what is going around you...Like I have said before; I seine the river and change my flies accordingly. We hooked in to plenty of fish; but, some will throw out there contentious negativity and hide behind their posts that the Clinch is lousy and anyone that does well is clueless.:rolleyes:

Friends; educate yourselves and understand the fish. Forget river veterans; because they may just hamper your efforts and close you in to fishing a boring cycle of midges. Plus, negative people breed negativity...

You need to rethink the above. You boasted about the awesome 30 fish day you had on Saturday. Hate to break it to you shadow caster, but myself and the guy I fished with landed at least twice that many. My point, without trying to get as ugly as you decided to get and now have pushed me into, was that it should have been much better given the time of year etc etc etc. Never said it was bad, it was good, just not as good as it should have been. Now is that because of pressure, sun, no wind, clear water, etc etc etc, who the heck knows. But I do know it was not what it should have been. Of course my judgment of a good day and yours are seemingly totally different. Which is fine as well, nothing wrong with that.

Just so you understand, some of the very best Clinch fisherman out there, were on the river this past week/weekend and expressed the exact same sentiments as myself.

What I said wasn't negative, it was honest, and if you don't think so, then fine, but try and offer a different angle or educated angle on the situation.

Maybe I need to learn to shadow cast like they do in the movies:rolleyes:

Rodonthefly
05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
OOOOOHHHH NNNNOOOO!!!!!! Down boys Down!!!!!! I agree with wolf here Shawn but i am not making any bad blows. The river fished good this weekend don't get me wrong. But yeah, the fish was spooky. I think Phill, which fished with me will say so as well. I just offered my opinon on why. The water was clearer then it has been in weeks past, don't think there's a argument there, and the water levels and temps, reather or not these contribute, well who knows? Never said the river fished bad, but could have been better for this time of year. ie. Sunday before last I had a 30-35 fish day, this past Sat was a 15 fish day for me. Ok so I didn't catch over 50 but I had what I concider a decent day. Anytime I can get out and trick one fish into taking a fly is a good day and a bad day on the water shure beats a good day at the office......

rbreedi1
05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
A day on the water sure beats a lot of things..

Rockyraccoon
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Maybe I need to learn to shadow cast like they do in the movies:rolleyes:

What the ****...

It couldn't hurt.

Sign me up too.

flyman
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Dear Abby,
I'm a clumsy wader, a bad caster, have no idea where to fish, and I don't have any idea what fly to use. Is there any hope for me?

psnapp
05-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Flyman -- unfortunately, no hope for you, my friend. You need to give up flyfishing altogether and give me all those excellent flies you tied but don't know how to use!

Phil (Elkman)

flyman
05-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Phil where the heck have you been? I know you are over there sore lipping those fish 2 or 3 days a week. No wonder they are so hard to catch :biggrin:

waterwolf
05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
What the ****...

It couldn't hurt.

Sign me up too.
Haha, why don't you learn it first, then teach me after you have perfected it. Saw you on the river saturday, sneaking by me at down towards 61, hope you all had a good day, and always appreciate the courtesy you show to others on the river.

MadisonBoats
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Guess I did come across like a jerk...:redface: I was just trying to get others to think outside the box and to work at expanding their fishing abilities. However, that is my style and one that I should not push on others.

Waterwolf,
Actually I caught fewer fish than what you posted.

Rodonthefly
05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
To each is the own i guess, Ol' john Thruman can fish a sow bug like no one I have ever seen not to mention ty a good one. However i suck at fishing them things. There's been a lot of talk on the spilt cass patterns this year. I have one that a guy gave me that's it. Give me my bead head pts and some midges and I'm a happy camper. As far as casting gos, lefty taught me more about casting in an hour at trout fest then I have learn my whole life.

No

waterwolf
05-27-2010, 03:11 PM
To each is the own i guess, Ol' john Thruman can fish a sow bug like no one I have ever seen not to mention ty a good one. However i suck at fishing them things. There's been a lot of talk on the spilt cass patterns this year. I have one that a guy gave me that's it. Give me my bead head pts and some midges and I'm a happy camper. As far as casting gos, lefty taught me more about casting in an hour at trout fest then I have learn my whole life.

No

Guess who showed thurman how to tie those sow bugs?

I am with you Rodney, give me a handful of PT's and a few midges, and I can catch fish 365 days a year on the clinch. No need for all that split case soft hackle monkey rigger southpaw slackjawed stuff. K.I.S.S. in other words.

Grannyknot
05-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Craig Harned? ;)

GrouseMan77
05-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Didn't he learn it in the Clinch River TU's tying class?

psnapp
05-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Don't know if he learned it there, but he taught my 2004 class how to tie 'em. I believe he called it one of his favorite "scruffy" patterns.

waterwolf
05-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Craig Harned? ;)
I doubt it.
Didn't he learn it in the Clinch River TU's tying class?

No, John was tying flies long before I was even born, he taught me when I was probably 10 years old, which has been 24 years ago. If it weren't for his influences I would not have gotten the start I did many moons ago.

Back then he refused to fish the Clinch, we would travel to fish out west (Oregon, Montana,) and also Wisconsin. But it wasn't until the mid 90's that I finally convinced him to give the Clinch another try. He used to go with me, and throw streamers until the fog burned off, then just hang out and watch me fish.

I can remember eons ago, my first trip to the smokies, he took me to Mill Creek which runs into Abrams, it was quite an experience.

Don't know if he learned it there, but he taught my 2004 class how to tie 'em. I believe he called it one of his favorite "scruffy" patterns.

We were in Wisconsin fishing spring creeks when I first showed him the pattern which was shown to me by Flat FlyN (Mr. Brandt). I was pounding them on it, and having to tie more in the evenings to have them to fish the next day. The rest is history.

Rodonthefly
05-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I rememebr he would come get me out of Mrs. Thrumans class when I was in high school to give me a hand full of bugs to fish, and we would talk fishing for a few mins untill he told me to get back to class. I would then go up to the Thrumans house later in the evening and John would teach me a thing or two about tieing, and of course i would get help with my studies.

Just wish I could rememeber that fly. Hmm let me think. wrap the whole hook with lead, smash it down, tie in a turkey feather for the tail wrap with dubbing pull turkey over and nail polis the top of the fly. i think thats it, but what hook and what dubbing was used.

Wolf are you sure you taught Thurman that pattern? That man has been around fishing **** near 3/4 of a centry. And do you still tie that fly and fish it? The only time I have ever done any good with that fly was below the weir one day. Killed'em on it, but not since and that was many moons ago.

waterwolf
05-28-2010, 08:42 AM
I rememebr he would come get me out of Mrs. Thrumans class when I was in high school to give me a hand full of bugs to fish, and we would talk fishing for a few mins untill he told me to get back to class. I would then go up to the Thrumans house later in the evening and John would teach me a thing or two about tieing, and of course i would get help with my studies.

Just wish I could rememeber that fly. Hmm let me think. wrap the whole hook with lead, smash it down, tie in a turkey feather for the tail wrap with dubbing pull turkey over and nail polis the top of the fly. i think thats it, but what hook and what dubbing was used.

Wolf are you sure you taught Thurman that pattern? That man has been around fishing **** near 3/4 of a centry. And do you still tie that fly and fish it? The only time I have ever done any good with that fly was below the weir one day. Killed'em on it, but not since and that was many moons ago.

Yep, we were in wisconsin when he first saw it.

He had tied scuds for years, but never done the sowbug thing.

I don't tie or fish them much anymore. I don't fish during the colder months when they were most effective. During the time period I am on the river, there are better flies to fish then them.

Rodonthefly
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Did I have the recipe right on how to tie that thing?

Green Weenie
05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
.....split case soft hackle monkey rigger southpaw slackjawed stuff.

:biggrin: Mr. Waterwolf, sir...you now owe me a new keyboard, as the above quote caused me to giggle uncontrollably, which left my keyboard covered in coffee. Also, coffee hurts when it exits through your nose.

Thinking of changing my user name on here to 'Monkey Rigger'.

Rodonthefly
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah and anyways, what's with the southpaw comment? I'm a southpaw!!!!:mad:

waterwolf
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Did I have the recipe right on how to tie that thing?
Yes.
:biggrin: Mr. Waterwolf, sir...you now owe me a new keyboard, as the above quote caused me to giggle uncontrollably, which left my keyboard covered in coffee. Also, coffee hurts when it exits through your nose.

Thinking of changing my user name on here to 'Monkey Rigger'.
Ha
Yeah and anyways, what's with the southpaw comment? I'm a southpaw!!!!:mad:
I couldn't think of anything else which wasn't profane to throw into that string. Southpaw just came to mind, nothing personal against lefties, y'all have enough working against you. :biggrin: