PDA

View Full Version : Fly ID Book?

Knik
05-24-2010, 07:42 PM
OK guys and gals, gotta question for ya.

I'm new to the sport and am having a hard time with the "fly thing"....:biggrin: Need a good book on flies, knots, and hatches....pocket guide would be great too. Thought you folks could point me in the right direction and help save me some time. Any suggestions would be great and sure help out a ton.

Thanks,
Shannon

BlueRaiderFan
05-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Order them through LRO and you don't have to pay shipping...order them through Orvis and you do:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9C1P&dir_id=758&group_id=8791&cat_id=14974&subcat_id=14975

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9C1L&dir_id=758&group_id=8791&cat_id=14974&subcat_id=14975

I use Hugh Hartsell's hatch chart when I go and I look up the flies in my Orvis pocket guide so I can ID them on the river.

Knik
05-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the links and info BRF, the pocket guides look to be just what I'm looking for. Have visited Hugh's site many times and have to say that he has a ton of info on there, great info Hugh! There just seems to be so many different patterns that it gets confusing for a newbie as myself, then there is the stages of the hatch...lol!!!

I have a new respect for you guys and all the detail.:smile:

Thanks again BRF

rbreedi1
05-24-2010, 11:52 PM
As far as insects, I have "Trout Stream Insects, An Orvis Streamside Guide."
http://www.amazon.com/Trout-Stream-Insects-Orvis-Streamside/dp/1558210679

Knik
05-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks rbreed, I'll make sure to check it out.

BlueRaiderFan
05-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the links and info BRF, the pocket guides look to be just what I'm looking for. Have visited Hugh's site many times and have to say that he has a ton of info on there, great info Hugh! There just seems to be so many different patterns that it gets confusing for a newbie as myself, then there is the stages of the hatch...lol!!!

I have a new respect for you guys and all the detail.:smile:

Thanks again BRF

No problem. My dream trip is to go on a wade trip with Mr. Hartsell and as far as knowledge, I don't have nearly as much as most of these guys. If ChemAngler, Mr. Hartsell, Mr. Casada or Caught108 speak, keep quiet and listen. Those are just off the top of my head. Good luck and I'll try to help as much as I can. One more thing, don't try and focus on every fly that Mr. Hartsell has listed in a month. I just pick one or two dries and one or two nymphs, look up what they are immitating and then try and match how he tied them as best I can. Later you can tie 3-4 of each, once you have a bit more experience. Having looked them up before the trip, you can identify them on the stream and tie them on.

Jim Casada
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Knik--In addition to the useful information already posted in response to your query, I'll add a few other thoughts. Both Roger Lowe and Kevin Howell have written useful little books on Smokies patterns, how to tie them, etc. Roger also has a very helpful guide, waterproof so you can carry it in your vest, entitled Smoky Mountain Fly Patterns. I'm not sure whether or not it is still in print, but it covers hatches month-by-month and suggests patterns to imitate them. A similar work is Ken Snellin'g A Smoky Mountains & Southern Appalachians Fly Hatch Schedule. Quite different in nature, and useful even though it has scades of errors, is L. J. DeCuir's Southeastern Flies. All of these books have one distinct advantage over the Orvis guide--their specific geographical focus. Hope this helps a bit, and if nothing else, it will tell you there's plenty of information out there. I give full bibliogrpahical details on all these books in the bibliography in my book, Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Knik
05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Jim, I'll make sure to check those out, really like the fact that they are specific to the area.