PDA

View Full Version : cheapest camping option

jross
05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
looks like I might be coming down next week! This time it's just me and an old friend (who has no S.M. fishing experience). Where could we stay in a tent that is the cheapest? Isn't Elkmont $20? What about other campgrounds in the area more near civilization?

(Can we stay in someone's yard?:biggrin: We'll do some yard work for you to pay for the stay!.... J/K)

Carlito
05-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Big Creek's about as cheap as it gets, but you won't be likely to score a campsite if you show up on Friday evening...

Look here for more info: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/frontcountry-camping.htm

Speckleman5
05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Anywhere in the backcountry is free.

BlueRaiderFan
05-26-2010, 01:00 AM
looks like I might be coming down next week! This time it's just me and an old friend (who has no S.M. fishing experience). Where could we stay in a tent that is the cheapest? Isn't Elkmont $20? What about other campgrounds in the area more near civilization?

(Can we stay in someone's yard?:biggrin: We'll do some yard work for you to pay for the stay!.... J/K)

Treemont Campgrounds has tent sites cheap and they have a pool, showers and toilets.

Crockett
05-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Hey BlueRaiderFan where is Treemont campgrounds? I am assuming it is a commercial campground outside the park right?

Mundele
05-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey BlueRaiderFan where is Treemont campgrounds? I am assuming it is a commercial campground outside the park right?

I think it's that place on the left as you enter the park from Townsend. there's a bridge that crosses the little river, with a sign over top, if I'm not mistaken.

Grannyknot
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I think it's that place on the left as you enter the park from Townsend. there's a bridge that crosses the little river, with a sign over top, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct...you can't miss it. It will be the place that is filled with campfire smoke.

jross
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
that tremont campground looks nice, but how much are tent sites? I couldn't find it on the net.

I also found the Old Mill campground, how does it relate to other campgrounds?

I should've specified that the cheapest is backcountry, but my friend was less than thrilled to think a bear could stop by for a chat in the backcountry!

BlueRaiderFan
05-26-2010, 09:18 PM
You'll have to call them. You can get their number by Googling them. Try Abrams Creek Campground (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS380&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=camping+happy+valley,+tn&fb=1&gl=us&hq=camping&hnear=happy+valley,+tn&cid=5647278428309276890).