PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy new fly line

afoshie
05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I am looking to buy some new fly line for a 9ft 6wt 4 piece orvis t3. This rod is fished primarily in the tailwaters of east tn and occasionally in a warmwater situation. Wanting a weight forward taper floating line. Fish a orvis line on it now but looking at maybe some other options. Just wanting everyones 2 cent on what they use and what they think of it.

Thanks in advance

Rodonthefly
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
RIO.....Only line out there IMO

waterwolf
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I like the Sage performance tapers personally, I have had good success with them. There are alot of good lines out anymore IMO. The Sharkskin lines are good lines, but drive me crazy with all the dang noise, and they will eat a hole in your fingers over the course of a day.

I swore off RIO years ago, when they had a major sinking problem, but I think they have gotten much better in recent years.

SA makes a ton of quality lines, same goes for Orvis.

COrtland had gone to junk status, but may be improved now, I just don't know.

tnh2owader
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM
RIO or SA, either work fine for me. Just keep'em clean and treated
and they last a good long time and perform well.
I think allot of folks fail to clean their
line often enough, IMO.:smile:

gutshot
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
SA in willow.

or this stuff. Buddy uses it and loves it. I have only cast it a few times.

Rodonthefly
05-28-2010, 02:35 PM
How offten do you guys clean your lines? Mine might see it once a year.

psnapp
05-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Try to clean mine every 2nd or 3rd time out. It makes a difference in how high it floats and how well it shoots thru the guides.

I just bought the Cortland Whisper Tip line and really like it. Very supple and easy to cast. I've tried quite a few different lines (various SA's, Cortland, Rio, Wulffe, Teeny, etc), and the Cortland Dyna Tip and Whisper Tip are my favorites.

tnh2owader
06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Try and clean mine before every trip if time allows.
You'd be suprised how dirty a line gets each trip.
Just pull through a white piece of guaze and you'll
think, man was that water that dirty !!!:eek:

jeffnles1
06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
SA Mastery and Rio Gold are the two that i use most. I have one spool up with Orvis Wonderline (Forget which generation) and it works too.

I really like the Rio Gold on my Redington RS3 and my Winston BIIt.

Can't be specific about 6wt though. Mine are 3, 4, 5, and 7.

jeff

waterwolf
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I buy new lines every year, mine turn black by the end of the summer, and go in a box for the "just in case" times.

ChemEAngler
06-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Every three trips or so.

MadisonBoats
06-01-2010, 10:10 PM

Rod, I try to clean and stretch mine before ever trip.

waterwolf
06-01-2010, 10:58 PM
I never answered Rod's question. I never clean my lines. I primarily fish out of a boat and found that since my line comes in and out of the boat continuously that it picks up a ton more grit and crap when cleaned recently. It performs for me better if I never clean them, and just replace them at the beginning of every year.

MadisonBoats
06-02-2010, 09:20 AM
I never answered Rod's question. I never clean my lines. I primarily fish out of a boat and found that since my line comes in and out of the boat continuously that it picks up a ton more grit and crap when cleaned recently. It performs for me better if I never clean them, and just replace them at the beginning of every year.

I may be doing too much out of habit. I fish mainly from a boat and I will try going without cleaning a few trips to see if it is a big issue.

waterwolf
06-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I may be doing too much out of habit. I fish mainly from a boat and I will try going without cleaning a few trips to see if it is a big issue.
It may just be me, if it works for you then I would keep it up. I just found that for the first hour or so a clean line would cast great, but then would get sticky and gritty. Now they don't cast as good as a clean line, but are not sticky or gritty at any point. They do not last as long, and usually turn black by the end of the summer.

ChemEAngler
06-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Wolf,
How many rods do you do this for each year? All of them, or just your primary rod?

That could get expensive if you have multiple rods.

waterwolf
06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Wolf,
How many rods do you do this for each year? All of them, or just your primary rod?

That could get expensive if you have multiple rods.

Generally 2, a new 4wt and a new 6wt. I fish those two weight primarily over the summer.

Rodonthefly
06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, call me lazy or what ever but I have never cleaned my lines. i guess I should try it and see if it works for me. A 6wt know wonder you cast the wedith of the river Jim. Thought you was a die hard 5 wt man.

waterwolf
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Well, call me lazy or what ever but I have never cleaned my lines. i guess I should try it and see if it works for me. A 6wt know wonder you cast the wedith of the river Jim. Thought you was a die hard 5 wt man.
I never use a 6wt on trout, I only use a 4wt for trout, except for streamers of course which I use a 6 wt. I do all of my smallmouth fishing with a 6wt, which is what I fish for the majority of the time.

I am casting the width of the river with a 4wt Sp or a 4 wt. Z-axis. Not really casting the width of the river, but I do carry a long line most days.