PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Canoe.....Needs Parts

Grannyknot
05-26-2010, 09:05 PM
My boss gave me his old canoe today...a Mad River Explorer 16'.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/DSCN1570.jpg

It has brand new gunwales and bow/stern covers, but I need new seats and a yoke that fit the gunwales. I won't mention any names, but the store he bought the gunwales from ordered the wrong ones and just as he finished installing them he realized his seats and yoke wouldn't work with them.

What is the best place to buy canoe parts and pieces?

BlueRaiderFan
05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Cumberland Transit employees are very knowledgable. It's in Nashville, but I bet they could help in some way.

jeffnles1
05-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Can't help with the parts, but that is one nice looking boat.

Jeff

Grannyknot
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Cumberland Transit employees are very knowledgable. It's in Nashville, but I bet they could help in some way.

Cumberland Transit isn't listed as a Mad River dealer on their site. But, I know that Mad River is owned by a big conglomerate now, so maybe they can order parts from them. I didn't really want to drive to Nashville though.

MadisonBoats
05-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Nice gift! Great looking canoe...

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/dealer_locator/

Grannyknot
05-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Nice gift! Great looking canoe...

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/dealer_locator/

The Mad River dealer locater was indirectly the cause of our problems with the current gunwales.

gmreeves
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I think that the person responsible for the screwup should take care of the rest, unless it was your boss.

Grannyknot
05-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I think that the person responsible for the screwup should take care of the rest, unless it was your boss.

It wasn't my boss, and the responsible party...well...will not be responsible.

With the limited choices for full length gunwales out there, I am thinking of buying some ashe and making wood gunwales myself. That way I can re-use the old seats & yoke.

Stana Claus
07-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Grannyknot - A long time ago my wife & I were pretty seriously into canoe tripping, so much so that I bought a new 17' Old Town Tripper and customized it to suit us. I bought a couple of extra thwarts that come long and you cut to size to put where you want them. I then bent some hangers out of flat metal strips to drop the seats a couple of inches lower (lower center of gravity, more stability) and moved both seats forward a few inches to better balance the load. I then mounted in some plastic tractor-style seats and padded them with 1/4" foam padding. Turned out to be the most comfortable boat I've ever paddled.

The pertinent part to your situation is, you should be able to find generic thwarts/yokes/seats at pretty much any shop that sells canoes. You can then cut everything to length to fit pretty much where ever you want to put it. I would try places like River Sports Outfitters or Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Knoxville, or the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City, NC. Maybe even Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops.

Oops, just noticed the date on this one. So, did you ever find the parts you needed?

Bfish
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Might consider mohawk canoe in Chattanooga:
http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/accessories.html

Grannyknot
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
The pertinent part to your situation is, you should be able to find generic thwarts/yokes/seats at pretty much any shop that sells canoes. You can then cut everything to length to fit pretty much where ever you want to put it. I would try places like River Sports Outfitters or Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Knoxville, or the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City, NC. Maybe even Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops.

Oops, just noticed the date on this one. So, did you ever find the parts you needed?

Well, yes and no. I have decided to re-use the old seats and yoke, but I'm going to make my own gunwales out of ashe. I have the proper tools and a decent know-how, but finding the time has become the trouble.

The results are as follows for help from the places you suggested:
River Sports Outfitters: the cause of the initial problem.
Blue Ridge Mtn Sports: can order the gunwales, but are very costly + I'll have to pay for shipping on an LTL freight shipment.
NOC: They want me to bring the canoe to Bryson City so they can make sure they order the right parts.
Gander & Bass Pro: I wouldn't even waste a minute out of my day to try them.

BFish...I sent an email to Mohawk customer service, they never got back to me. I assume they don't want to fool with something that isn't their product. I don't blame them.

billyspey
07-23-2010, 11:07 PM
you can buy the wood you need at jefferies off chapman hwy where bullet bass boats are located here in knoxville

Grannyknot
07-23-2010, 11:34 PM
you can buy the wood you need at jefferies off chapman hwy where bullet bass boats are located here in knoxville

Thats where I buy all my stock for woodworking. They priced me 1" grade A ashe at a great board foot price a couple of weeks ago. Just need to set aside some time to start the project.

Bfish
07-23-2010, 11:40 PM
BFish...I sent an email to Mohawk customer service, they never got back to me. I assume they don't want to fool with something that isn't their product. I don't blame them.

Try calling them, they ain't that tech savvy. The have ash yokes and thwarts, just a matter if they are the right size.