PDA

View Full Version : Beat the storms out today

ChemEAngler
05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Scott (tnfishingfanatic, that name sounds familiar :cool:) and I hit the water this morning from 7:45 till 11:00. Saw maybe three sulfur duns and six rises during that time. However, the fish were taking BHPT actively once again. Well, that is until the sun burned off the fog and made it's way overhead. Once that happened I had to dredge the bottom and fish deep structure to pick up any fish. Not too big a deal since that is how I typically fish my midges during the summer and fall anyway. The water was really high, even with the pulse. We fished thru it, but I don't recall a typical pulse bringing that much flow. I need to check the TVA website and see what their flow numbers show.

*Edit - TVA website shows a pulse today at 7AM of 3385 CFS as compared to the typical pulse of 1200 to 1500 CFS that I usually fish thru. Do they have one small variable flow turbine and one large constant flow turbine? Just trying to figure out how they are able to have flows in the 1500 CFS, 3400 CFS, and then 6700 CFS. Or is the 1500 CFS number just a short 30 minute pulse kind of like what I have been told the SoHo does at times?

No big fish were caught this morning, as most were in the 9 to 11 inch range with the biggest fish being around 13". However, I did land my first brookie in a long long time there, and it was a decent little one. Surprised to see four other people on the water with us this morning. However, it is a holiday weekend, and that combined with the storms predicted for this afternoon contributed to our decision to head out early in the morning.

For those of you getting out this weekend, I recommend getting out there either very early or very late. Let's say the first and last two hours of daylight. Once that sun gets overhead the fish seem to be looking for protection by either going deeper, moving to swifter water, searching out shade, or burying themselves amongst the tangle of tree limbs along the bottom. Best of luck to you, and have a good weekend everybody.

P.S. I will try to post some of the pics from today when I get home later....

rbreedi1
05-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the report, look forward to seeing the pics. I also caught a brookie yesterday while fishing the clinch. Its been a pretty good while since the last one I caught in the clinch as well. I caught around a half dozen fish in the few hours I got out on drys.

ChemEAngler
05-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Said I would post some pics from today's trip, but when I uploaded them I forgot I had only taken a picture of the brookie. Everything else was less than 13", and I didn't feel was quite photo worthy.

http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v13/p648995752-3.jpg

I did take a few shots of tnfishingfanatic working a run, and those can be seen below. I was poised and ready for him to hook into a big one and get some action shots as well as a grip-n-grin, but that didn't happen on this trip. Maybe next time.

Fighting the 3400 CFS pulse. This spot is usually only around 10 to 12" deep and slow. On this trip, it was close to 20" and packing a lot of force.
http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v7/p458409254-3.jpg

High sticking a lay down. Probably the most successful technique of the day.
http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v15/p94089899-3.jpg

tnfishingfanatic
05-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Look at that nice form on the guy with the yellow shirt

silvercreek
05-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Is that a bait fishing bobber hanging off the back of that fanny pack? Silvercreek

ChemEAngler
05-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Look at that nice form on the guy with the yellow shirt

okay then......... Too bad that yellow shirt scared off all the fish within 30 yards of us.

Is that a bait fishing bobber hanging off the back of that fanny pack? Silvercreek

He has been known to put powerbait on a hook and drop it below an EHC. However, I can't tell if that is a bottle of Gink or his night crawler inflating tool.... :biggrin:

tnfishingfanatic
05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Not a bobber, they are inside the pouch. It is an old gink bottle modified into a worm inflator. Dang you all are observant! haha

Also inside the pouch is a bottle of Trophy Trout Attractor.

rbreedi1
06-02-2010, 03:16 PM
nice pics!