PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Little River outside of the park

5wt
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM
My wife and I went for a ride this afternoon and had the fly fishing gear in the car. We stopped on the little river just up from Walland and I tied on a streamer to see if I could catch anything. I caught one little smallmouth bass and then what I caught next suprised me. I caught a big fat butterball rainbow that was 16 inches.

Are there many hold over trout in the section outside of the park?

Do they stock Brown trout in this section or just rainbows?

Where do the small mouth bass typically hang out in the water. Are they mainly in slow deep water or in the faster water?

Any help answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Martin

Rodonthefly
05-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Brain,

Although I never fish it that much, they do stock that river with rainbows. Browns? how ever I can not answer that one. As far as small mouth goes. You can catch them anywhere from the "Y" down to where is umps in to Ft loudon( aka forat nasty). Swift water to deep runs where the water dumps in should be good spots. How ever by reading this site, the LPR threw serville has been great for small mouth.

Are you the Brain Martin I know? If so, your father thought me a great deal about small mouth.One of the best small mouth fishermen I have had the plesure of knowing.

Rodney

5wt
05-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Rod,

I appreciate your reply to my questions. I am not the same Brian Martin you are thinking about. Just an old Mississippi boy that moved to East Tennessee and I am now trying to learn the ins and outs of trout and small mouth fishing on the fly rod.

David Knapp
05-30-2010, 10:29 AM
As I understand, all browns in the LR system are wild fish...no stockers. They do stock rainbows down to Walland I believe...