PDA

View Full Version : 5-31 report

2weightfavorite
05-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Fished through the raain this morning starting on the gravel raod above the tremont institute. I havent fished there all year even though i live so close, and to my suprise it fished kind of hard. I caught fish, a couple of decent ones, but not as many as I had hopes given the rain and stained water.

Around 10 or so I moved just below Metcalf, and caugth ALOT of fish. All came on nymphs, and it didn't seem to matter whice nymph I used (hairs ear, pt, prince, and zug bug). I tried addig split shot, adding more split shot, and fishing with no split shot, and again it didnt make a difference, caught fish all 3 ways.

One last side not, i only saw one other person fly fishing... Did you all stay home because of holiday? If so you missed out on some spectacular water copnditions and fishing...

nvr2L8
05-31-2010, 08:39 PM
2weight,
I was fishing Middle Prong this morning - in the rain. Only caught 5 and broke my new 9' 4wt St. Croix two weeks before I leave for Colorado. Bummer, dude.

The best size fish of the day came out of the water splashing like crazy and then went behind a rock in shallow water. It immediately went still. I tugged a couple of times, still with no movement. I walked over to the rock, reached down and picked up a stick with my fly attached. How'd he do that? :confused: Sneakiest fish I ever saw.

2weightfavorite
05-31-2010, 09:32 PM
were you driving a mini van? The only car I saw all morning in the middle prong was a grey or silver mini van... We had the whole stream to our selves! Sorry to hear about the rod...how'd you break it?

nvr2L8
05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
I was in a blue XTerra past the second one lane bridge and not far below the parking lot at the end. Broke the rod sliding on mountain driftwood. Slippery stuff.

No Hackle
05-31-2010, 10:55 PM
fished metcalf in the morning into late noon,had similar results as you but had a couple on a cahill pattern. I was surprised at the lack of company. Only had the rubber hatch for company. All in all it was a great morning.
Lynn

Vern
05-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Fished above the loop the loop on newfound gap road for an hour and half this evening, it fished real hard. Missed about 6 and brought two little rainbows to hand. Yellow Sallies went abundant, I was fishing a yellow EHC with a copper john dropper. I fished this last week end and had several more strikes. Figured all the other streams would have too many fly fishers. Just goes to show you never Know.

knucklehead
05-31-2010, 11:41 PM
as for the stuck fish--that's what my dad calls instant evolution...