PDA

View Full Version : Road prong

Bran
06-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Fished up Road Prong yesterday for a few hours. Had a good trip, I have always wanted to fish it and opportunity finally presented itself. Ill post a couple pics when I get home but the most noteworthy thing is I had to go up to a 5x and Florida tippet. They were pretty spooked and the water seemed a little low.
Ended up with about 12 to hand and 5 or 6 ldr's. Nice day in a beautiful place!

jeffnles1
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
That is a pretty stretch of stream.

Owl
06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Ok, call me stupid - what is a "Florida" tippet? I know I've not been fishing alot in the last few years, but this is a new one to me.....

And did I read right that they were spooky so you went down to 5x?

Back in the day, 5x would be throwing like throwing steel cable on a mountain stream full of 8 inch trout....did something change horribly while I was gone from fishing? :) LOL

Glad you had a nice day. I was fishing at the confluence and we got about 20 yards upstream and a HUGE thunderstorm rolled in on us. Never have made it back to try further upstream, but it's somewhere on my to-do fishing list.

jeffnles1
06-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Ok, call me stupid - what is a "Florida" tippet?

When I read the post, I read it as Fluro tippet.:smile: Funny how the mind plays tricks on us. I bet that is what he meant.

I do use mainly 5X and 6X tippet in the park streams. It probably is overkill but the fish don't seem to mind.

Jeff

alexys01
06-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Back in the day, 5x would be throwing like throwing steel cable on a mountain stream full of 8 inch trout....did something change horribly while I was gone from fishing? :) LOL

4x is .007 line diameter which is probably 6lb breaking strength
5x would actually be .006 line diameter which should be less than 5# line strength.
I actually have some bass pro mono 2# test that is .007 diameter.
4 -5 x tippet is pretty much what i use 99% of the time for small stream trout. tippet diameter is universal , where # test is generally what the manufacturer claims the breaking strength is. That all being said 5x is a fairly light tippet (especially when throwing beadheads and or more lead.) with only 3 thousanths of an inch difference than a light 8x. Hope this helps.

Crockett
06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I would agree 5x is plenty strong and also plenty small enough for the trout not to see easily. Talk about steel cable heck a few weeks ago I forgot my tippet and all I had was a leader with no tippet left on it at all. It was very thick and easy to spot but I still caught trout and had plenty hitting my stimulator. Probably would have been better if I had tippet but still worked.

By the way thanks for the report Bran. I fished road prong the first time back in mid november. I wet waded and it was freezing also I didn't catch a thing that day. Seemed like a very rugged stream very hard to get from one "level" to the next if not impossible at spots without gettin out of the creek. Lots of falls and barriers.

tennswede
06-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Back in the day, a decade or more ago when I fished high mountains streams a lot more than I do now, I never used anything lighter than 4X. It's not needed. I caught plenty of fish, one of em' was my biggest Brook trout from the park to this day. An 11 1/2" fish from WPLP. Guess what the fish took? A Joe's Hopper size 8. It was a blast. to see that brookie come up and take that hopper.

Owl
06-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Hmmm.....my love of 7X could have come from fishing two streams in GA specifically...one is a brownie stream that gets alot of pressure, and the other has a 16 inch minimum size limit on it - the only one in GA other than the "trophy" streams( and now some DH streams)...

the fish were super spooky in those two streams and I seem to remember going down to 7X and my luck improving...but I think I'll give the 4X a try next time I'm in the park and see what gives. Thanks guys.

old dog - new trick....we'll see.

( 5 X still looks like rope to me. :p )

tennswede
06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Owl,

Not surprised at all when you are taking about those GA streams. I haven't fished them but have done a lot of research on them. It's kind of the same as the tailwaters. Last weekend I used 7x fluorocarbon on SoHo. Is it necessary all the time? No, but a lot of times when you fish emergers it's the ticket to a day of catching quite a few fish vs catching one or two.

jeffnles1
06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I will sometimes use 7X on the tailwaters. I'm not sure the fish see it any more or less than the 5X. If the trout can see a size #22 midge and start risingto it 5' before it drifts over the fish's head, my guess is they can see just about any size tippet line too.

I find the lighter tippets (6X 7X) give better drifts on those tiny midge and BWO type flies than heavier tippet does. I use the lighter tippet when on the tailwaters and fishing a lot of midges, griffith's gnats, thread midge numphs, etc. down to size 22 and below.

Jeff

alexys01
06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I will sometimes use 7X on the tailwaters. I'm not sure the fish see it any more or less than the 5X. If the trout can see a size #22 midge and start risingto it 5' before it drifts over the fish's head, my guess is they can see just about any size tippet line too.

I find the lighter tippets (6X 7X) give better drifts on those tiny midge and BWO type flies than heavier tippet does. I use the lighter tippet when on the tailwaters and fishing a lot of midges, griffith's gnats, thread midge numphs, etc. down to size 22 and below.

Jeff
jeff- I would agree with you, on both points.
owl- whatever works . I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Bran
06-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the comments good and bad guys. Owl, you got me, I didn't proof read. My Droid auto spells and it didn't like my abbreviation! Anyhow, keep in mind I'm 90% warm water fishing so 5x is the smallest thing in my arsenal and, to me at least, its extremely fine. I had 4x on and they were hit and miss till I thought about dropping a size. Also the 4x was Rio PF. Switching most definately helped and thats just one of the many benefits I've gotten over the years from this board.
Crockett, there are several deadfalls and, being alone, I got a little nervous a time or two while climbing up. I had a great time though, I'll remember the trip for a long time to come. That's a beautiful stretch of water, I had to stop and just look around and take it in several times. My legs are still sore tonight and we just got back home.
I fished WPLP yesterday at Sugarlands and right below Chimneys campground. Had a good day there also, caught 7 Bows all pretty fish. I'm pretty sure a couple were stockers that moved on upstream. Their pelvic fins were malformed and they were not as brightly colored.
Thanks again for the comment though everyone, tight lines!
P.S. My wife fished G-burg yesterday while I was in the park, she had a limit for me to clean when I got back. My daughter caught one before deciding that was enough, she was ready to go shopping. :)

Vern
06-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Interesting decisions on tippet. Earlier this year I lost a very large brown on the North River using 7x, it hit like a freight train and headed for the tail out with some rocks, all i could do was to try and turn him. For me it was impossible with a wt and 7x tippet. I had caught a 14-15 Brookie earlier with out a problem but this brute was just too much. One of the best small stream fisherman I know was near by and just started riding me about using 7x. He grew up fishing the North and Tellico and has never used less than 5x. So since this week was a family vacation instead of a fishing trip I decided to only use 5x. I have only fished a few hours total and have caught several fish. 5 brookes and 3 rainbows on thur. morning fishing for a hour. So I have learned that even here in th gsmnp 5x is fine. PLUS IT IS MUCH EASIER TO TIE FOR ALMOST 50 YEAR OLD EYES. I do like to use 6x floro for my droppers. I do use 7x on the Caney when I am fishing a 18 or 20 copper John and it does make a difference and I have caught 20" plus.

alexys01
06-06-2010, 10:00 AM
4-5x works well for me,but than again i fish mostly size 14-16. Do you guys fish smaller patterns than that in small streams?