PDA

View Full Version : New Rod ???

tjw37909
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I currently have a TFO 8.5ft 5 wt and an Orvis Clearwater 9ft 6 wt. I am thinking of getting a new, higher dollar rod in the next month or so, and I am leaning towards a Hydros 9ft in either 4 or 5 weight. Any reviews on the rod or other options?

jeffnles1
06-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Never cast a Hydros or Helios. They sure are pretty.

I'm a fan of the Scott G2 (have a 9' 5wt and an 8'4" 3wt). They are very good rods.

I also have a Winston BIIt 8' 4wt that is a thing of beauty.

Nothing against the Orvis rods at all. I've just never actually cast one. They get good reviews but since you're going to be spending a pretty good chunk of change, it may be wise to test cast a couple other rods in the same range and see which one speaks to you.

Jeff

Rog 1
06-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I recently got a Helios 8'4" 3wt....first flyrod I have picked up that has been over 8' in 20 years...I found this one on ebay for $350....will probably be the last high end rod I ever get do to all the rods I have...this rod is a joy to cast and fish with...got the rod to do a little more "high sticking" with and the experience has been fantastic.

waterwolf
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Sage Z-axis, they are the best casting rods I have ever had in my hands. Literally 90 foot casts are effortless. IMO there is no other comparable rod on the market currently.

RFork
06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
The Z-axis is unbelievable. I really enjoy it. If I were you, since your rods are all over 8.5 and 4wt, I would consider going for a shorter and smaller wt rod. Just my 2 cents.

tjw37909
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I decided I did not wnat to spend that much money since I won't catch anymore fish with a more expensive rod, especially no longer than I have been fly fishing. I ordered a Ross Essence FW 8'6" 3 wt for the smaller streams with smaller fish that I wind up fishing a lot. Rod should be in this week; picked up 3wt sharkskin; now I just have to pick out a nice, small reel.

Grannyknot
06-08-2010, 02:19 PM
....picked up 3wt sharkskin; now I just have to pick out a nice, small reel.

Sharksin for a 3 wt? tjw, I am not only envious of the amount of time you spend in the mountains, but your bank account too! :biggrin:

waterwolf
06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Hope you enjoy the rod. I don't buy expensive rods to make me feel better, I really buy a rod which performs best for me. I have been a loyal Sage SP guy for eons, and have been buying them off e-bay for the last few years. I picked up a 6wt. Z-axis last year, and honestly had never cast anything like it, and this year had to get another one in a 4wt.

How do you all like the sharkskin? I can't stand all the noise it makes, but the guys I fish who have it, really like the way it performs.

tjw37909
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Grannyknot, I did not mention that I got a really good deal (40% off) on the sharkskin. I didn't notice the noise from the sharkskin after using it a couple days, but I love how well it works. Floats, mends, and picks up very easily and quietly off the water. The only thing I don't like about it is that if you bushwack it is a magnet for spiderwebs and they stick to it like glue and get piled up to be picked off by hand.