PDA

View Full Version : what tippet do you use in the park

afoshie
06-06-2010, 04:52 PM
A previous post has me curios to everyones answer on this. So the question. What size tippet do you normally use during average water conditions in the park for normal fishing. My definition of average would be a dry dropper rig, a double nymph rig, or a rig with a single fly.

Jim Casada
06-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Afoshie--I voted 5X but did so with considerable uncertainty. There are so many imponderables, even in average water conditions, that just casting a vote bothered me a bit. Examples of things which might cause a change would include water clarity, the individual stream involved (for example, Bradley Fork is clearer than Deep Creek, at least to my eyes, when settled conditions are in play), what time of day I am fishing (I tend to use one test stronger at dawn and dusk because I think I can get by with it and also because I'm more likely to hook a tippet-breaking brown in low light conditions), and where I am in the Park (fish seem to me less tippet-shy in remote areas which get ittle pressure). There are other factors, but that's some examples of why I have considerable uncertainty.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

ahighlan
06-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Most commonly 5x, but it depends on size of the fly, water clarity, flow(fast and choppy vs. slow and smooth), etc.

I rarely go outside the range of 4x to 6x in the park, streamers aside.

flyman
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I think sometimes I see too much attention being paid strickly to tippet size. There is a correlation between tippet size and fly size that I use to help determine what size tippet I am going to use. A large wind resistant size 6 hopper pattern calls for a different tippet than a sparsely tied size 20 BWO. Too fine a tippet will make turning over a large wind resistant fly with a dropper difficult. Conversely a tippet that is too heavy will appear thick and unnatural on a small fly. I do use 4 and 5X most of the time in the park, but it's because it falls within the range of the size flies I am fishing. I will often use material as heavy 2X and as light as 6X. You can not simply just tie one size material on for a tippet every time you fish under every condition, there is no one size fits all. There is some leeway, but try to keep in mind the correlation between tippet and fly size.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2202&csc=true

knucklehead
06-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I try to use the strongest tippet i can get away with. in the last 2 weeks i've been using 3x almost exclusively with flies in size range of 14 to 6; and catching fish. i even used 4x up just below alum cave trail and had a glorious day with a 14 para adams. also, the larger tippet has saved my flies numerous times. i vaguely recall field and stream having an article about tippet diameter. i'm still not convinced using 6x tippet in the park is worth it, unless your fly is too small for anything bigger. it seems to me that when line in 3-8 pound test range is of such minute diameter to begin with, why not use the strongest? can fish, in the park, really tell the difference between 3 and 8 pound line? I'm convinced they can't. i have very few years experience fishing the park but so far still believe struggling over tippet size is a waste of time. as for spooking fish, i have yet to see any fish dash off while i'm using the 3 or 4x. i'm not the best at spotting fish and maybe i'm just not seeing them.
I've scared more fish in the last month by wading than anything else.
perhaps times exist when superfine tippet is required in the park. i just have yet to encounter such moments. until proven otherwise, i'm sticking with the 3 and 4x.

Jim Casada
06-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Flyman--Those are some excellent thoughts. The link between tippet size, fly size, and line performance in casting is often overlooked. If you've got a big-winged pattern, such as a Royal Wulff with bushy wings, it can turn tiny tippet into an angler's equivalent of a spinning top.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

MBB
06-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I use 5X most of the time in usual fishing conditions. In high water or when fishing streamers or larger flys, I will often go to 4X or 3X. I don't think I have ever used 6X or 7X in the Park.

alexys01
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I think sometimes I see too much attention being paid strickly to tippet size. There is a correlation between tippet size and fly size that I use to help determine what size tippet I am going to use. A large wind resistant size 6 hopper pattern calls for a different tippet than a sparsely tied size 20 BWO. Too fine a tippet will make turning over a large wind resistant fly with a dropper difficult. Conversely a tippet that is too heavy will appear thick and unnatural on a small fly. I do use 4 and 5X most of the time in the park, but it's because it falls within the range of the size flies I am fishing. I will often use material as heavy 2X and as light as 6X. You can not simply just tie one size material on for a tippet every time you fish under every condition, there is no one size fits all. There is some leeway, but try to keep in mind the correlation between tippet and fly size.

Flyman- I couldn't have said it better myself.

jeffnles1
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I voted 5X but mainly for reasons as flyman stated. Most of the flies I use in the park lend themselves well to 5X - 6X tippet. (size 12 to 16 and an occassional 18. )

When tossing bas bugs in the lakes, I'll go as low as 0X but usually stay in the 1-2X range.
For bluegill and crappie flies, I typically use 4X and sometimes 5X)

I let the fly being used be the first influence then the type of water (clear, murky, fast, still, lots of snags, few snags, etc.). The last influence is frequently what I have in my pocket from the last time I went out fishing. (getting old and the resulting memory issues stinks.:smile: Hiking half a mile up a trail only to realize all I have with me is 4X and the rest of it is buried somewhere in the junk pile that is the trunk of my car).

If I were limited to only 2 for trout, I think it would be 5X and 6X
If I were limited to only 2 for warmwater fishing, I believe I'd go 2X and 4X

Jeff

flyred06
06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I use 7x tippet and have great success with it. I might occasionally go to 5x but my most success is 7x.

millerdvr
06-07-2010, 11:55 PM
On small waters like in the park I see no need to ever get ahead of myself, I mostly use a 3 wt rod with 4 weight fly line so the heaviest tippet I ever use is a #6.

The fish in the park are not the biggest but I still like a good challenge and catching fish on the light tackle is what makes fishing a "sport" to me. You could land a lake trout on a #3 tippet so I see no need for heavy tackle in the park to land a 6" trout.

JoelO
06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I generally stay in the range of 5x to 6x since those match the size of the flies I throw.

I'm more curious as to whether everyone regularly use flouro or mono tippet. Mono tippet is tons cheaper but it doesn't vanish in water like flouro does.

Other comments about the two I found elsewhere:

These two lines are totally different. Fluoro has the index as water (1.1) ,it's more abrasion resistant than mono. It has very little strech, where as mono streches 30%.
It is not for top waters, due to it sinks and mono floats. Fluoro is a much smaller dia.

Since I fish the Caney on a regular basis and I'm dropping midges and small flies I use flouro most of the time. Do you alter your tippet (flouro vs mono) if you're fishing midges on the Soho vs throwing a dry/dropper tandem in the park or do you think it doesn't matter?

3wt
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Someone told me that flouro sinking is not a bad thing for dries because it wont cast a shadow under the water. Mono floating on top casts a big shadow and can spook fish in slower glassy pools.

kentuckytroutbum
06-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Flyman-
I agree with you that there is a correlation between fly size, and tippet size. I am familiar with Orvis' recommendation for selecting a tippet size.

I take the size of the fly hook that I'm going to fling, divide by 4, and add 1. For example, take a size 16 hook, divide by 4, and add 1, and that tells me to use a 4X or 5X tippet. If its windy, or I'm going to add a dropper, I would go with a 4X. Just a rule of thumb for me.

Its strange in that when I was starting out, no one explained this correlation. I was using 1X or 2X because I thought I needed the line strength. No wonder the fly didn't turn over, or I got horrendous tangles.

ChemEAngler
06-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Gotta go with the 2X. Gotta have the abrasion resistance along with a stiff 8-wt when I am in the mood for some otter snaggin'.

:biggrin:

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Usually use 5X fluoro, except in drought conditions like a couple years ago.

ifish4wildtrout
06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
I pretty much always use 5x fluoro, sometimes 6x.

When I first started out I knew nothing about tippet and leaders. I was using a 9 foot piece of 17lb mono tied to my fly line. :eek: Needless to say, it did not work out very well.

silvercreek
06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
5x for trout. 0x for tubers.

lwflyrod
06-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I primarily use 5x and it is one of my favorite. mainly because I use flys ranging from 8-14 and it works well, for both GSMNP and SNP along with up in the poconos (where I learned to flyfish 29 some years ago).
It is also a little more forgiving when you get hung in a tree.
however, I move to a 6x or 7x when I fish the smaller flys like 18-22 mainly to get the tippet through the eye and so it give no chance of weight or unnatural drift. plus it makes to not horse the fish if you a bigger one on.
4x and 2x for heavier streamers with weight.