PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fish the Caney lately?

Middle TN Lee
06-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Just wandering if any of yall have fished the Caney in the last couple of weeks, and how yall did? Improving or the same?

I have this Friday off and I was thinking about heading that way for a change of scenery, but was hoping to get an update before I make the trek.

Thanks,

Lee

Grumpy
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM
yep, it's full of keepers, 5-10" fish:frown:

Grumpy

silvercreek
06-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Went yesterday and wednesday of last week. Ditto what Grumpy said, except less activity yesterday. They have increased the generation. Check both sites before you go. Yesterday they added another hour just before I was about to leave the house. Good luck

David Knapp
06-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Went Friday and got into a few small stockers but had to work hard for them. Even with the one hour pulse last week it seemed like the water was coming up unusually high downstream so with the two hours, it will take awhile to fall out.

silvercreek
06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
They ran 3 hours yesterday morning, and it was 2:00pm before the water got fishable and the trout started rising at Happy Hollow. How far downstream were you fishing last Friday? I had hoped to check the gauge at Stonewall to see what the drop rate was, but apparently the gauge went out around 6am yesterday. Regards, Silvercreek

David Knapp
06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I fished at Happy, the dam, Lancaster, and then back at Happy...:biggrin: Based on how high the water was still at Happy, I think the one hour burp was more than one hour...:frown:

silvercreek
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks. I started at Lancaster yesterday, but there was nothing going on, so I went to Happy. Seems like your chances for trout go down in proportion to how far you are from where they stock trout. Looks like it is going to be a lean year. Silvercreek

JoelO
06-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I went last Saturday. Caught several stockers, nothing of any size. One brookie I caught had a chunk taken out of his back...who knows how that happened. Another brookie I caught had a gill plate that only came about halfway back over its gills...really odd looking.

silvercreek
06-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Hmmm. I caught a brookie yesterday that had both gill plates similarly deformed. I thought at first something had torn off one side, but when I got him in hand I could see both gill plates were the same. Some of the brookies are starting to get a little color on their fins and bellies. They are aggressive little devils. Silvercreek

Middle TN Lee
06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the updates guys...I appreciate it. I'll probably just go smallie fishing instead.

-Lee

Grumpy
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
They're running 250 cfs constantly, that will keep the water up a little higher than normal.

Grumpy

flynut
06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I fished Betty's for a couple hours on Sunday and caught a brown and a rainbow of about 8" and a 12" rainbow that put up a nice fight on my 4 weight...also had two more that threw my hook before I could get 'em in and had a couple other bumps...while not the most active day I've ever had, it was nice to get out and not get skunked...good luck if you go!!!

BlueRaiderFan
06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
You guys out catching outliers again? :biggrin: Good to hear that it's possible to catch one or two.