PDA

View Full Version : summer time browns..

knucklehead
06-09-2010, 12:26 AM
after near misses with a few larger browns, i am now obsessed with hooking into one. the closest i've come to hooking one was on a yellow stimulator size...8. i pulled the fly out of its mouth and never saw that fish again. i've also been surprised at the number of smaller fish that readily strike a monstrous dry. i've been trying large(4 and 6) streamers such as buggers and muddlers with not much luck. i did manage to land a 12 in bow on the muddler one evening. has anyone been catching browns on the tn side of the park?
also, does anyone know the legality of night fishing in the park? I know night hiking is ok, but just unsure about "after hours" fishin. with all the tubers around, night seems like a great time to tempt the beasts.

Rog 1
06-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Night fishing is not allowed.

Slipstream
06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
You should check out Ian Rutter's guidebook on fishing in the park. It has an excellent chapter on the "how to's" of catching large browns in the smokies.

Crockett
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I think you can fish up to 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset legally in the smokies. To be honest even an hour before sunset on some creeks it is pretty dark already due to the foliage coverage. You just can't fish in the middle of the night as Rog said. Personally I have fished till sunset and even a few minutes after and haven't seen any difference in what I caught or in what amounts.

kevin.hoyt
06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I decided to commit on your point about Brown Trout in the park. I camped @ Elkmont last month and was fishing Jakes Creek late Friday afternoon (7 PM'sh on 5/21) and caught 2 browns (9+" & 11+") behind the old cabins in seperate plunge pools.

I was fishing again in Jakes Creek on Saturday 5/22 afternoon and was working my way up the creek (past the Cucumber Gap trailhead) and found some "spent" flyline littering the creek (100+ feet). I elected not to retreive the trash at first becuase I saw a prime hole ... expecting a decent Rainbow (or two) so I worked my above the hole and dropped my Yellow Never-sink caddis/Beadhead Pheasent Tail rig into the hole. I immediatley saw a huge shadow come out from under the falls and felt a huge tug on my rod. I played the fish and got him out of the water and to my surprise it was another Brown - but approx. (est.) 15+ inches long. He got tangled in the spent fly line and worked his way free of my dropper sending my fly (and almost my rod/reel) into the trees above me. I collected the spent fly line and walked away wondering "What if"!

knucklehead
06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
good to know some other decent browns are on the move. i've been stalking one for about a month now, after both my dad and i saw it. so, no go on the night fishin..good to know. thanks.
as for ian rutter's book, i've just about worn it out. if anyone hasn't read it, i highly recommend it.
so far the biggest brown i've seen is the main one i've been after. right in the heart of a rapid, a very narrow, but distincly noticable, slightly slick area. big rock under it. i've had the brown investigate flies and do massive side swipes but not much else. watching a brown/olive side with spots emerging from white water= jaw dropping h.s. moment.

jeffnles1
06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Knucklehead,
looking forward to the photos of that monster when you bring him in.

as for night fishing, it would take a braver man than me. Some of the streams I've fished there are difficult enough to navigate when I can see what I'm doing. I can't even imagine climbing over those rocks and trying to find the trails in the dark.

I'd end up being the topic of one of those news links we post here from time to time: "Another fisherman thought he knew what he was doing and got lost in the Smoky Mountains. News at 11"... :smile:

Jeff

knucklehead
06-12-2010, 11:52 PM
jeffnles1--
I wholeheartedly agree with the accident waiting to happen. i'll admit i have done some night fishing in the park-not recently- all at the townsend y. never caught anything. did spook some other late nighters, but nothing else, fortunatley.

in regards to jakes creek, i think that's a horrible little stream. fishless and boring scenery(wink, wink).

Grampus
06-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Knucklehead;

The best advice I can give regarding landing big browns is as follows:

1. Fish where they are (sounds like you've already gotten this one)
2. Study them and the area. Before approaching the pool, study the pool for a minimum of 15 minutes. If you can see it, your chances go way up. Look at best direction to approach, best place to cast. Put the sun at your back but not cast a shadow on the water. Consider if you hook it, what obstructions you need to avoid and where YOU want to take the fish.
3. Approach slowly and use max stealth from behind the fish. Be wary of spooking other fish in the pool which will also give you away.
4. Use what works. Fly choice is important (dries won't cut it). I recommend heavy nymphs or streamers.
5. Don't use indicators or bright fly line. I recommend no smaller than 4X (personal preference). If water is dingy or off color, go to 3 X. If the brown is big, you'll need it.
6. If you see a refusal, change fly after resting the pool. Give it time to get settled all the while watching. If you have a buddy that can watch from a higher angle, it will help.
7. If you set the hook, take the fight to it. My earliest hook-ups were lost in playing defensively or countering the fish's moves.

Remember, big fish don't get that way by getting caught or eating flies.

Good Luck,
Grampus

flyman
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Catching big fish is a little different from just catching fish. There are reasons why a handful of people catch most of the big fish. Go at first light, when the water is stained, right after a rain, a cloudy day, or very late in the day. Low light will work to you advantage.

Most people who catch a lot of big fish spend a lot of time watching fish. They are looking to see what the fish is doing. Is it moving from the spot they see it most of the time? Fish have holding lies, hiding lies, and feeding lies. They don't just stay in one place. I have seen fish that would come out of a hiding or holding lie and cruise around a pool or run before it settled in to it's feeding lie and begin feeding.

This time of year with low water and bright light make for good big fish hunting, but not necessarily good big fish catching.

knucklehead
06-26-2010, 01:56 AM
one good thing about the beast's spot is that it's nestled right in between whitewater. i somewhat prefer not having to be as careful as if i wer stalking one in slower water though i do still creep above it on my knees. excellent advice on snagging lunkers from all. i hope to have pics up soon (it will assuredly be measured and promptly released). i've been trying to find somewhat mobile streamers, some that give plenty of action when bounced around and through rapids. i think the beast has figured out wooly buggers are not food. any suggestions?

David Knapp
06-26-2010, 09:32 AM
any suggestions?

Just give me detailed directions to where this fish lives, and I'll let you know what flavor it likes...:biggrin:

No Hackle
06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I've caught most of my big fish in July and August. Maybe its because the water is low and spotting the fish is easier. Remember that means he sees you alot better too. It is more of a hunting game which I like most of all. Look before you fish, thats my advice.
Lynn

duckypaddler
06-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Knucklehead;

The best advice I can give regarding landing big browns is as follows:

1. Fish where they are (sounds like you've already gotten this one)
2. Study them and the area. Before approaching the pool, study the pool for a minimum of 15 minutes. If you can see it, your chances go way up. Look at best direction to approach, best place to cast. Put the sun at your back but not cast a shadow on the water. Consider if you hook it, what obstructions you need to avoid and where YOU want to take the fish.
3. Approach slowly and use max stealth from behind the fish. Be wary of spooking other fish in the pool which will also give you away.
4. Use what works. Fly choice is important (dries won't cut it). I recommend heavy nymphs or streamers.
5. Don't use indicators or bright fly line. I recommend no smaller than 4X (personal preference). If water is dingy or off color, go to 3 X. If the brown is big, you'll need it.
6. If you see a refusal, change fly after resting the pool. Give it time to get settled all the while watching. If you have a buddy that can watch from a higher angle, it will help.
7. If you set the hook, take the fight to it. My earliest hook-ups were lost in playing defensively or countering the fish's moves.

Remember, big fish don't get that way by getting caught or eating flies.

Good Luck,
Grampus

Don't want to sell you out if you want to remain anonymous, but just curious if I have fished with you before? If I'm right I hope you catch your "latest stalking" and let me know if I can tag along sometime

knucklehead
06-29-2010, 01:11 AM
I don't believe we have fished (if you're referring to me). most of my fishing trips in the park are solo but i'm always open to venturing with a new face. most of my trips are fairly last minute, at least recently, due to an increase in work. my email is sharpize@yahoo.com. shoot me a line if you ever want to go.

steven pitts

Waterborn
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
think the beast has figured out wooly buggers are not food. any suggestions?

Have you tried highsticking a large yellow brooks stone? or yellarhammer? May take few good attemps, but if you have whitewater cover you might can buy a few more presentations than normal...Id also tether the fly to some fluro, if nothing else for some abrasion resistance if that beast is near whitewater= rocky cover...

My big brown outfit for the park is basically my smallie gear, somewhat overkill, though i seem to tag into bigger browns not looking for them on my 4wt and 6x...we usually end up parting ways, but at least I know where they'll be next time ;)

duckypaddler
07-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't believe we have fished (if you're referring to me). most of my fishing trips in the park are solo but i'm always open to venturing with a new face. most of my trips are fairly last minute, at least recently, due to an increase in work. my email is sharpize@yahoo.com. shoot me a line if you ever want to go.

steven pitts

Although I'm always looking for more people to fish with:smile:. Already fish most Wednesday will another fellow I met on this board. While with twin babies and work I am staying pretty busy, but can fish on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I think we should ask Byron to add to hook up board to this message board so that poeple can meet up. I would love to give back since I'm finally catching good numbers of fish thanks to others that have been kind enough to show me and share. I also have many last minute fishing trips and that is a good way to go to places you wouldn't want to venture by yourself

Crockett
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah a board to meet others for fishing sounds like a great idea. I have fished with a couple of others on here and really had a good time. Even met up with Spotlight over at bryson place for an overnight fishing trip and he turned out to be a great guy lots of fun.