PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Hammer

Vern
06-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Just for a change I fished a yellow Hammer behind a ehc last week. I have never really seriously fished a yellow hammer, but that is about to change. Fishing was a little slow, then I put the yellow hammer on. The trout didn't rise to it, they attacked it. I am talking savage strikes. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same results? Does it mimic prey or just something to be Killed. Do they think it a yellow Stone or something else?

Bran
06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
What size is it? I've never fished one either but I had a guy give me one last week in Gatlinburg. I haven't tried it yet, it's large, say maybe a 6.

Waterborn
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Yellows probably the best color to throw all summer...but I think with all the stoneflys in the waters, the yellow hammer is a great representation of the nymph. Though careful yours aren't made from the protected bird..I have a few originals but I make sure they don't go near my fly box! I like a Brooks Stone for the same reason and high stick with heavy wieght to hit the head of pools/runs and fish will practivally yank the rod out of your hands...
The Crow Fly is similar fly all in black and is a killer in the winter...