PDA

View Full Version : Access to the Cherohala

buster55
06-09-2010, 11:33 PM
On our way home from the Green Cove this week, my wife and I checked out more information about the area. From what I have learned, there are various trails off the Cherohala that lead back into the Tellico watershed. I think I have seen this posted before, but are there accesses to the Cherohala from the Tellico area, such as the North River Road or the Ranger district Road. I would love to explore that area, but I generally stay at the Green cove, and don't want to drive 18 miles back to Tellico Plains to hook up with the skyway.

Thanks as always
Alan

buzzmcmanus
06-10-2010, 06:46 AM
North River Road goes to the skyway. If you spend much time in South Cherokee, I would recommend buying the National Geographic map 781 of the Cherokee National Forest. It's got the forest service roads marked.

Grumpy
06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Ditto above statement, plus the trails are on it to. The map leads to all kind of adventures.

Grumpy

buster55
06-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the advice! Other than the NATGEO online store, where might this map be purchased?

Alan

Trip
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
My Garmin Zumo has all the FS roads on it and you can use Mapsource to route where you want to go.

buzzmcmanus
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the advice! Other than the NATGEO online store, where might this map be purchased?

Alan

Call LRO, when I was in there the other day, I saw a map display with some Nat. Geo. maps in it.

Grannyknot
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Alan

You can purchase it from the comfort of your own home/office.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17482&cat=997&page=1

My Garmin Zumo has all the FS roads on it and you can use Mapsource to route where you want to go.

I have found Garmin Mapsource to be fairly unreliable in the National Forests. Maybe when they come out with US Topo 24k East it will offer more accurate coverage.