PDA

View Full Version : Little Pigeon Questions

nunavut4
06-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well I have come down with a pretty bad case of Smallmouth fever! I went for the first time about a month ago and have been twice since with moderate luck. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about floating the Little Pigeon in Sevierville. I have a kayak so skinny water is not really a problem.I just do not know if it is even feasible. I would also appreciate any information about fishing the LP in general.

Mark

waterwolf
06-11-2010, 10:45 PM
You could put in at the bridge which crosses the east fork, which is just outside sevierville heading towards newport. I do not know the hwy number, but it will be the first bridge you cross. You could take out down at Boyds creek, the fair grounds or many other places.

The fishing is pretty good on that stretch, and I have had good luck with poppers and any streamers that are white and tied with rabbit strips (zonkers, zuddlers, etc).

Hope that gets you a good start and good luck.

nunavut4
06-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey Waterwolf, Thanks, that helps a whole lot. Hope to be able to make the float next weekend.

Mark

waterwolf
06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Keep an eye on these thunderstorms during the week, that place can get blown out fast, and best I can recall the best flows are between 200-500 cfs which you can find at the USGS water info site or on the TVA site. I could be a little off on my flows, so just keep an eye on the radars this week, and if it gets pounded by a storm or two keep that in mind before heading up there.

Rodonthefly
06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
is there any public boat ramps up there to put in and take out at? And would you be able to float it in a drift boat?

I'm interrested in this whole small mouth hype....

MickT
06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
There are no ramps that I know of. I've seen some guys floating in a drift boat before, but that was during the spring with higher water. You could certainly scrape along with a drift boat!

waterwolf
06-16-2010, 11:00 PM
is there any public boat ramps up there to put in and take out at? And would you be able to float it in a drift boat?

I'm interrested in this whole small mouth hype....
You're not mature enough to handle the smallmouth :biggrin:

I don't know of any official boats ramps, You could probably find a place or two to slide it in and drag it back out. But I can't think of any right off hand.

Couple of places you might look at for your baptism, Pigeon River from the Newport Jail to Rankin Bridge on the French Broad. French Broad around Del Rio, and Little River below Townsend down to River jack's.

A word of caution, smallmouth rivers are a much different beast then the Clinch, the Pigeon even as docile as it is for a smallmouth river has some serious boat eaters in it, and the same can be said for Little River. The French Broad is a big b*tch and if the water gets up it can be quite a ride, with lots of little drops, technical chutes, and rocks which hide in all the wrong places. Scraping and taking boat damage is normal and to be expected, it is the devastating stuff I am referring to.

The little pigeon is tame. Point being, floating the Clinch below norris and locking horns with some of the smallmouth rivers is completely different. Much more challenging rapids, and rocks which put holes in drift boats or sink/flip them. Luckily I have access to several soft boats which is all I use on the smallmouth rivers.

You have my e-mail address rod, and if you want more info feel free to let me know, I have spent a world of time on this areas smallmouth rivers, and might be able to help you out.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 08:26 AM
You have my e-mail address rod, and if you want more info feel free to let me know, I have spent a world of time on this areas smallmouth rivers, and might be able to help you out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude! i don't have your e-mail address, if you don't want to post it fine. Shoot me one at clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com

I want in on some of the action....:biggrin: I'm a big boy!!!!!!!!

Troutman
06-17-2010, 10:14 AM
There are no public boat ramps on the river. the floatable section is only about two miles of river along hwy 66 before it empties into the FB. I have floated it in a raft and countless times in kayaks, toons and my canoe. early spring is much better for floating on higher water. I have paddled back upstream to the boat ramp on Hwy 66 on the FB after floating the LP. If the FB is generating forget about that. The river is shallow and a drift boat is not the best craft for manuvering through the channels and low dams on the river. The LP is fished heavily by bait fishermen also in the spring thanks in part to a TV show aired a few years ago showing people to drift minnows over the spawning beds. You would not believe how many dead smallmouth I've found with their gills ripped out by some person trying to get their 10 cent hook back after a smallie swallowed the live bait.:mad: I guess those idiots have never heard of circle hooks. Once the spawn is over, the bigger smallies migrate back into the FB and the fishing pressure decreases.

The FB and the Holston (lower) is much better suited to fishing from a drifter.

I would recommend floating the Holston from Indian cave to nances ferry later in the summer when the water temps are higher or from Douglas dam to Hwy 66 bridge on the FB. All the other ramps on the FB are on private property.

LIke WW, I've spent a lot of time on the smallmouth rivers. I've gotten to the point in my fly fishing life that fishing a tailwater for stocked trout is not all that interesting to me anymore. I also like the chance to fish for so many different fish in one day. smallies, LM , bream, carp, gar, shad, and .... stripers.

Its funny now there is all of the sudden this interest in fishing for smallies. Just a year ago hardly anyone around here cared about them. I guess Byron's latest fishing reports from the area lakes are changing that.
Just remember that trout and smallies are much different as are fishing rivers compared to lakes.

waterwolf
06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
gary,

There are several other TWRA ramps on the French Broad, one around Seven islands and one more that is mid riverish as well, along with the ramp at the junction with the Holston. TWRA has a cool interactive map with their locations on it, and it even has pictures of those ramps. I have never floated down from the dam, threatened to but never done it, maybe I will try it in the next few weeks. I know the carp action can be stellar in that section.

Indian Cave on the Holston is in rough shape, and 4wheel drive is a must, plus good ground clearance. If it rains while you are out or before you go, getting a truck back up the ramp is interesting but doable.

I agree with you on the interest in Smallmouth, it wasn't long ago they were viewed by most as trash fish and no one paid them any attention in the fly fishing community. It still is so much different and so much more challenging on all levels that I doubt that most will switch like you and I have to focusing on them most of the time. I will say that seeing someone with a stringer of smallies bothers me much more then someone with a stringer of trout and what you have seen on the LP is depressing.

Carp were viewed the same way, I can remember Seagull, Flatflyn' and myself being ridiculed for our love of the carp. That has certainly changed.

waterwolf
06-17-2010, 10:34 AM
link to the map page

http://www.twra4streams.org/streamandriveraccess.html

Troutman
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
WW, I knew about the seven islands boat ramp and the one on kodak road but I would not leave my car at either one. too many reports on break -ins from friends. The Johnson Bible college ramp is private and the one I use most often in Seymour is probably going to close once the property owner dies. Back when I had a fishing boat I would put in at 3 rivers and head up both rivers and float back. Once my house is paid off in 3-4 years and if my son doesn't take everything for his college education, I'll have another river boat.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Ok so lets just say I want to go fishing no boat, just grab a fly rod put my keens on hit the water.....Do I just find a spot off the main drag and hop in the water and go? Any areas better then others? :confused:

Troutman
06-17-2010, 11:17 AM
While I'm not going to say specific access points That I use on a public forum, there are several public parking areas on the greenbelt walking trail in Sevierville on the river and you can pretty much wade up and down the river from any of them.

The reason I don't tell all on a forum is because several years ago I told a guy who just happened to be a guide about a specific walk in access. The next time I went to fish there, he was taking clients there and all his friends.
lose lips sink ships.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 11:30 AM
While I'm not going to say specific access points That I use on a public forum, there are several public parking areas on the greenbelt walking trail in Sevierville on the river and you can pretty much wade up and down the river from any of them.

The reason I don't tell all on a forum is because several years ago I told a guy who just happened to be a guide about a specific walk in access. The next time I went to fish there, he was taking clients there and all his friends.
lose lips sink ships.

I understand that, that's been done to me a few times as well. I'll look into that green built area. Thanks for all the info, oh one other thing will a floating line work or do I need a sink tip?

Troutman
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
For the LP and LR , a floating line is all you need. I will fish a sinktip at times on the FB and Holston for specific situations and flies. even the deeper sections of the tailwaters are usually easily fished with a floating line and a weighted fly.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
So I think i'm going to head up there around 4ish today. I looked at the map it looks like there is a public park right there in the middle of Sevierville right across the river from that big RV park. Is that area there fishable? and whay types of flys should I use. Any big streamers that are white I would think should work

Troutman
06-17-2010, 12:17 PM
heavily fished but good area. use poppers right now. water is only thigh deep.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey wolf what's your e-mail. I want to go fishing somewhere up there today and have a question or two for you

waterwolf
06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
I didn't know the FB ramps were bad places. I have been lucky I guess, dang thieves are everywhere.

The ramp at Rankin on the Pigeon Float is horrendous, I pulled my pistol on 2 guys there a few years ago. I always said and was taught if you pull it, use it, and I was going to. But they quickly decided to harass someone else.

On most of the smallmouth rivers around I would not be caught unarmed, and heavily armed at that. One of the other rivers we fish alot, we carry multiple pistols as well as a shotgun which is out in plain view at all times. Rough places abound in this part of the world.

I used to not carry on the Clinch or Holston, but started carrying about 5 years ago when break-ins became common at Peach Orchard. Now I just pack all the time, never know when someone is going to get chippy or the need will arise.

Troutman
06-17-2010, 03:41 PM
WW, I went over to the Huffaker ferry access several years ago and there were a couple of guys hanging out by the ramp drinking, breaking glass bottles and possibly smoking dope. I decided not to stay and launch the canoe. It may be a better place now that they have improved the parking areas but I haven't been back in awhile. With so many people out of work in the area and nothing to do, picking off unattended vehicles seems to happen fairly often these days.
Its sad that you feel like you can't even go fishing anymore without having to worry about getting robbed or worse. Growing up, my dad and I would park along side the river, leave the windows down and never think twice about running into thugs. I do remember one farmer that would shoot at people walking the edge of his cornfield to acces the river shoal. This was an old ferry just down river from Huffaker ferry on the South Knox side. The boat ramp (formally Hodges Ferry) is now part of a subdivision and closed to the public.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 03:49 PM
That's a shame to have to take a gun fishing, but oh well it's not going to stop me. Thanks for all the help about the smallies guys. I'm heading out now. Let you know how it went in the morning. if i don't get robbed or murdered out there tonihgt

waterwolf
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
WW, I went over to the Huffaker ferry access several years ago and there were a couple of guys hanging out by the ramp drinking, breaking glass bottles and possibly smoking dope. I decided not to stay and launch the canoe. It may be a better place now that they have improved the parking areas but I haven't been back in awhile. With so many people out of work in the area and nothing to do, picking off unattended vehicles seems to happen fairly often these days.
Its sad that you feel like you can't even go fishing anymore without having to worry about getting robbed or worse. Growing up, my dad and I would park along side the river, leave the windows down and never think twice about running into thugs. I do remember one farmer that would shoot at people walking the edge of his cornfield to acces the river shoal. This was an old ferry just down river from Huffaker ferry on the South Knox side. The boat ramp (formally Hodges Ferry) is now part of a subdivision and closed to the public.

It is sad, it is sad to know that the river I used to ride my bike to (Clinch) when I was 8 years old now has a bunch of freaks hanging around it, and that I have to carry there or anywhere else for that matter. I am like you and used to fish the Obed with my dad and we would leave the vehicle unlocked with no worries other maybe a thunderstorm rolling in and soaking the vehicle.

I guess that is how things go, and unfortunately I am wired that if screwed with by someone, would shoot them without hesitation. I would regret it after it was done, but am not going to give up my life for some piece of trash or crazy idiot.

That's a shame to have to take a gun fishing, but oh well it's not going to stop me. Thanks for all the help about the smallies guys. I'm heading out now. Let you know how it went in the morning. if i don't get robbed or murdered out there tonihgt

Hope you waxed them today

oldschool
06-18-2010, 07:07 AM
I seem to remember a trip with WW where our truck, gun and your wallet got stolen when we got back to the boat ramp. I really liked that truck too.

Rodonthefly
06-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Man I am hooked, caught 7 smallies, one striper and two blue gills. had a few blow ups where i missed... and lost one really nice one. biggest was 16" or so.

Thanks Jim for all the advice. Let

Troutman
06-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Man I am hooked, caught 7 smallies, one striper and two blue gills. had a few blow ups where i missed... and lost one really nice one. biggest was 16" or so.

Thanks Jim for all the advice. Let

I'ver never caught a striper in the little pigeon, a few white bass down by boyds creek bridge early spring but never a striper.

waterwolf
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I seem to remember a trip with WW where our truck, gun and your wallet got stolen when we got back to the boat ramp. I really liked that truck too.
I had forgotten about that nice day, show up and just your trailer sitting in the parking lot. How did we manage to get your boat out? I remember going and getting the Bronco from your Aunt, but don't remember how we got the boat out and home. Losing it in my old age.

Great news is that I think they found your truck (burned) near where I will be tomorrow. Hopefully someone will decide to steal my Chevy, with my luck they would bring it back though.

Rodonthefly
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
where in the sam **** is this place? I have a dodge they can have. :biggrin: