PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Report: Hot and Cold

Wilson10
06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Two day report - June 12 & 13

Clinch continues to be hit or miss...

Saturday - Rod and I fished 7:30 - 1:00pm. Pretty good day of wading up on the farm. It wasn't the best day I've had on the river, but I've certainly had worse. I had the pleasure of helping net this nice 19incher(pictured below) that Rod convinced to take a BHPT. It was the first fish in my new net. Setting the bar high right off the bat for the new net. :smile: I just wished I was the one hookin into that nice brown.

Sunday - Rod will have to chime in more about Sunday because I wasn't able to go, but he did let me know that it was completely different than it was Saturday. Not anywhere near the takes that we had on Saturday.

It's interesting to me how a river can fish so good one day and not so good the next with similar weather/water conditions. Guess that's why we call it fishin and not catchin :biggrin:

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m327/AdamWilson10/Clinch%20June%2012/June122010.jpg

Rodonthefly
06-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks, for posting that Adam, Sunday was not completly a bad day but not as good as Sat. sunday I caught 6 fish in a couple of hours of fishing. I did how ever manage the first slam of the year. Had a few more hook ups but really kind of slow. Main catch of Sunday was poison ivy. :frown:

fishingman62
06-14-2010, 09:27 PM
fished the clinch today monday below peach orchard .... had a good day close to 20 fish from about 8:30 am - around 3pm when the thunder storm rolled in ...some sulphers were coming off in the afternoon ... majority of my fish came on beadhead soft hackle either on the drift and swing or stripping it back....... size 14 and 16...... met 3 very nice guys .....they pulsed this afternoon and i just had the canoe pulled up and it started drifting down river.... i again want to thank those guys for grabbing it... anchor down from now on no matter how low the water is lol lol... all in all a great day of fishing except for the canoe breaking loose and paddleing back up stream in the thunderstorm... i knew i should not have tryed to get that just one more lol
dan

kentuckytroutbum
06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Fished the Clinch on Tuesday & Wednesday, the 15th & 16th, at Millers Island, and the Church. About 10:00 AM, there was a midge hatch. I tied on zebra midge nymphs, Midge dries, and Griffths Gnats. The trout ignored them all, and went for a size 12 olive wooley booger with a rapid strip retrieve.

On Tuesday, ran into two guys fishing with spinning rods at Millers Island. When the strong storm blew up around noon, these guys were generous to give me a ride back to the Miller parking lot. Unfortunately, I did not get their names, but whoever you are in the black pickup truck, I want to say thank you. You save me a long hike in an electrical storm with heavy rain. Dodged the storm, and went to the Church, and fished for an hour before another storm blew up.

Wednesday, tried the Church early, but the 7:00 AM pulse was just getting there, and went back to Millers Island. With all of the recent storms on Monday & Tuesday, I was surprised at how clear the water was, and still cold at 53 deg. F.

I want to thank Shawn Madision for giving me some great pointers on where to fish the Clinch. Your help was invaluable, and saved me a lot of frustration, and wasted time.

Overall, caught six really nice 'bows over two days, which I consider great for the first time fishing the Clinch. I'll be back soon.

MadisonBoats
06-17-2010, 11:17 PM
I want to thank Shawn Madision for giving me some great pointers on where to fish the Clinch. Your help was invaluable, and saved me a lot of frustration, and wasted time.

Thank you for you kind words. I can assure you next time that I will help you enjoy your experience to another level. You are a kind and cordial man; someone that I would enjoy sharing a day on the river bud.:smile:

DannyV
06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Good to hear that the Clinch is hot and cold but its just cold for me. I just moved into the area and hit the Clinch twice. Both after work excursions starting fishing around 6 and waiting for generation to hit or low light. Last time (june 24) I saw very little buggy activity. When the midges came out later I tried everything midge related (griffith gnat, zebra midge, beadhead midges ect). No takes. Tried running a BHPT nymph under an indicator with no takes, and dropped a zebra midge off of that and no takes. I dont know what I have to do to entice theses fish!

Rodonthefly
06-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Sounds like you have the right flys, where on the river are you fishing? And what size are you using? The clinch fish are very spooky right now.

waterwolf
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Good to hear that the Clinch is hot and cold but its just cold for me. I just moved into the area and hit the Clinch twice. Both after work excursions starting fishing around 6 and waiting for generation to hit or low light. Last time (june 24) I saw very little buggy activity. When the midges came out later I tried everything midge related (griffith gnat, zebra midge, beadhead midges ect). No takes. Tried running a BHPT nymph under an indicator with no takes, and dropped a zebra midge off of that and no takes. I dont know what I have to do to entice theses fish!
Generally speaking in my experience on the Clinch and other tailwaters the fishing is better when the sun is on the water. Especially on the Clinch with the ultra cold water it takes the sun warming the bottom to get the bugs moving which in turn gets the fish active. You can catch fish early and late, but the best fishing is when the sun is beating down on the river. Granted the fish are spookier then, but they are generally more active. Same thing goes for rainy days, and in the fog. You can catch fish, but it is easier once the sun hits the river.

Rockyraccoon
06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Going with longer leaders in the 10 -16 foot range can help. Also, if your not getting strikes, start dropping tippet sizes. Try mono and Fluoro tippets. Generally, I fish fluorocarbon tippet anytime I'm fishing subsurface. But I have seen times when the fish prefer mono on the Clinch.

DannyV
06-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was fishing at the "church". Midges were all small 20's mostly and 18. The nymphs were 18-16. Does any one have experience with long line nymphing on the Clinch. Seems like it would work really well just above riffles and such. I gather they are spooky right now. Everyone else Italked to had slow days too. I did see a monster tail yesterday, really got my heart pounding as he rose right next to my midge, but not at my midge.

Also I am a little bummed about the seeming lack of public access points on rivers around here. I am probably wrong as I have not done extensive exploring yet but I am thinking a kayak might be an awesome option, plus I could fish during generation opening up the possible fishing times.

Grannyknot
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Also I am a little bummed about the seeming lack of public access points on rivers around here.

I've always thought the Clinch offered a generous amount of access. Almost all the wadeable areas have some sort of access, and I think TVA has done a good job providing public access.

My advice would be that if you think the Clinch is bad, don't go to either of the Holstons without a boat.

waterwolf
06-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I've always thought the Clinch offered a generous amount of access. Almost all the wadeable areas have some sort of access, and I think TVA has done a good job providing public access.

My advice would be that if you think the Clinch is bad, don't go to either of the Holstons without a boat.
I agree, the Clinch has ample access, most areas which have no access are not great wading locations.

Stick with nymphs/midges that are 18's and dark colored, dead drift them about 2-3 feet under an indicator, shallower naturally if the water is shallower, but there is no reason to drop them deeper. Cast cross current, or downstream with a slack line mend, and by all means make sure you are getting a good drift. A good dead drift IMO is an absolute to have good success on the Clinch.

DannyV
06-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Again guys thanks for all the information. It makes adjusting to a new place much more comfortable. Its good to know the wadable areas have access, like I said I have just not had the time to explore fully yet, and from maps its difficult to ascertain where I can actually access the river or not. I will just have to spend more time fishing to find more spots!

The clinch is just much different than water im used to, much bigger. I rarely fished rivers in western new york that were much wider than a long cast. Its fun to get pushed out of your comfort zone and rework your fishing brain.