PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fishing the Holston

highstick
06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Wanting to float maybe Friday or next week. Just wandering if anyone is still fishing the Holston or has it gotten to warm.

Also conidering the clinch. Which float is better right now, Millers to peach or peach to 61? Havent been on the clinch in a while.

yellowsulphur29
06-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Went to the Nance's today trying to run from the storms. Water temps were definitely higher than the clinch. Saw 5 other fishermen and all were wet wading. These 90+ degree days have certainly warmed the waters. Caught two on some small midges but they were both less than 10".

If I was floating the clinch, I would run from PO to 61. Seems to be producing larger browns and more numbers than miller on to PO.

waterwolf
06-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Holston is still cold enough, and the Clinch is fine, but not great. The fish from my experience in the Clinch are extremely spooky, and can be tough or can be stupidly easy depending on weather conditions. If the wind is blowing it is a joke, if the river is dingy from a recent t-storm it is a joke as well, but if it is still and sunny with clear water, it is **** tough. I have never seen the clinch fish stay as podded up as they are this year, and one wrong cast or misplaced cast can send a hundred fish into a panic.

Both are good choices, is the bottom line, but I would not say either is red hot.

psnapp
06-16-2010, 07:21 PM
WW -- my experience exactly -- fish are podded up more than I've seen -- spook one and you've spooked 15-30 fish. While drifting through some areas, I estimate that I had seen pods of 40-50 fish. Makes it tough if throw a line over them.

waterwolf
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
WW -- my experience exactly -- fish are podded up more than I've seen -- spook one and you've spooked 15-30 fish. While drifting through some areas, I estimate that I had seen pods of 40-50 fish. Makes it tough if throw a line over them.
I saw a pod where we ran into you and Rod a few weeks ago, and when they spooked it disturbed the surface of the river like a school of redfish or bonefish. I bet it had hundreds of fish in it, we saw several more pods that were just as big.

The only thing I can surmise is that with the extended low water they have grouped up for safety, or the illusion of safety. I bet if we had 2 weeks of continuous generation, things would change dramatically. Which after July 1st that will happen, so time will tell if things will change this year.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I saw a pod where we ran into you and Rod a few weeks ago, and when they spooked it disturbed the surface of the river like a school of redfish or bonefish. I bet it had hundreds of fish in it, we saw several more pods that were just as big.

The only thing I can surmise is that with the extended low water they have grouped up for safety, or the illusion of safety. I bet if we had 2 weeks of continuous generation, things would change dramatically. Which after July 1st that will happen, so time will tell if things will change this year.

Geeee Thanks, now phil is going to camp in my hole wolf.....:biggrin:

waterwolf
06-17-2010, 09:21 AM
He better get up early and stay late in order to beat me there :biggrin:

Camping won't get you far on the Clinch right now, being mobile is the best way to have success with the fish being so incredibly spooky.

Rockyraccoon
06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
My best success has come from getting lines casted, well downstream of the boat, setting the boat in a dead drift, and pulling the oars out of the water. Maybe an occasionally fanning of a blade in the water.....but absolutely no "strokes".

Then, we either catch a fish, or two fish simultaneously, hit a sneaker (rock 1" from the surface of motionless water), or I'll adjust the boat for the next drift line presentation.

Like you guys have stated already....as you come into the pods of fish, its paramount that your lines be in the water, and in a good to perfect drift, . Because casting into the pods, for all but the most impressive casters, will almost certainly result in a spooked pod of fish.

Here's something funny....I just noticed the thread is directed at fishing the Holston. Funny thing is, after I thought about it, my report kindly applies to some areas of the Holston right now too. Not quite as spooky fish, but they do seem to be podded up in some places and a great dead drift into the middle of them is the best bet.

Rodonthefly
06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
He better get up early and stay late in order to beat me there :biggrin:

Camping won't get you far on the Clinch right now, being mobile is the best way to have success with the fish being so incredibly spooky.

Just ask Phill I have been known to shoot some clays off that upper sand bar ;)

highstick
06-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Rocky, are you still fishing Indian Cave down? Thats is where I plan to float anyway, just was wondering if the water had woarmed to much or not. Had a buddy go out not long ago and say it wasnt all that great. Just looking for other observations. Also havent floated the clinch all year and need to, but would rather float the Holston on friday or sunday

waterwolf
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
My best success has come from getting lines casted, well downstream of the boat, setting the boat in a dead drift, and pulling the oars out of the water. Maybe an occasionally fanning of a blade in the water.....but absolutely no "strokes".

Then, we either catch a fish, or two fish simultaneously, hit a sneaker (rock 1" from the surface of motionless water), or I'll adjust the boat for the next drift line presentation.

Like you guys have stated already....as you come into the pods of fish, its paramount that your lines be in the water, and in a good to perfect drift, . Because casting into the pods, for all but the most impressive casters, will almost certainly result in a spooked pod of fish.

Here's something funny....I just noticed the thread is directed at fishing the Holston. Funny thing is, after I thought about it, my report kindly applies to some areas of the Holston right now too. Not quite as spooky fish, but they do seem to be podded up in some places and a great dead drift into the middle of them is the best bet.
I agree, oar strokes will send fish fleeing hundreds of yards down the river. There are really only isolated stretches where the fishing is what I would call good, even though there are fish everywhere. Those are the areas where you are able to cast 60-80 feet and let the fly drift for a long way into the pods, they are more then willing to eat if they aren't spooked from what I have seen. I have not had the pleasure of following anybody down, but can only imagine that would be low yield. Rocky when you passed me Sunday, the fish seemed okay, but that was more then likely because the water was coming up.

I don't care how good a caster is, or bad for that matter, casting into one of the pods is suicide. I can throw a line with the best of them, and it doesn't matter, the guy I fished with Sunday can lay a 90 foot cast down like a feather, but they still flipped out everytime.

It is a strange year and have never found myself wishing for rain to stain the river.
Just ask Phill I have been known to shoot some clays off that upper sand bar ;)
Guess I need to retune the 7mm for about 500 yards, so I can guard the beat from upstream out of sight:biggrin:

Rocky, are you still fishing Indian Cave down? Thats is where I plan to float anyway, just was wondering if the water had woarmed to much or not. Had a buddy go out not long ago and say it wasnt all that great. Just looking for other observations. Also havent floated the clinch all year and need to, but would rather float the Holston on friday or sunday

Indian Cave is still plenty cold and the fish are still happy as of yesterday. Not as many in the upper portion plenty on down, and plenty in the flat water above the shoals. The upper shoals are pretty dead for some reason.

psnapp
06-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Nothing to worry about as long as I'm fishing nymphs, Rod! Can't buy one on PT's, midges or anything else in my arsenal lately. Think I may start throwing streamers exclusively!