PDA

View Full Version : CFF on the LR this weekend

Troutman
06-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Looking forward to seeing my buddies from CFF (Christian Fly Fishers) this weekend. We are camping in Walland on the LR and planning on fishing for smallies, and bream and maybe an evening trip to the park for some trout.
See those of you on here that are members of CFF later today!
Will give a report next week how the festivities went. :biggrin:

Owl
06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey, is there a website for this group? If that's the only requirement, I qualify! :)

nunavut4
06-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey Gary, Hope you all have a great time. Looking forward to your report.

jeffnles1
06-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Hey, is there a website for this group? If that's the only requirement, I qualify! :)

Hey, Owl,
Here's the link:
http://cff1611.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Troutman, wish I could be with you guys this weekend. Unfortunately, no vacation on my job until mid August at the earliest.

Jeff

Owl
06-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Thanks. I hope you guys had a good time, and weren't out fishing when that big storm rolled through Wears Valley and Townsend Sat. !

Troutman
06-21-2010, 09:56 AM
We had a great time of fishing during the day and fellowship around the campfires each evening this weekend. I arrived late afternoon on friday to Misty River campground in Walland. A couple of guys had already caught several smallies in the river earlier. I think Appalachian Angler got one around 16".
Saturday morning we all split up and some fished the park for trout and others fished the lower LR for smallies and bream. I waded and floated a section of the LR in my kayak that morning till noon and caught about 15-20 little smallmouth averaging 10-12" with the largest around 14". caught several rockbass and redbreast sunfish also. I came back to the campground around noon to eat and a couple of other guys were back also. We had lunch and then the storm blew up quickly. we had to get in our vehicles due to the bad lightning and hard rains. it lasted about 30 min. I'm glad we were not stuck out on the river during this time. The guys in the park said the storm was not bad there and it only rained a few minutes on them.
Bluefish and I fished a couple more hours for bream and smallies that afternoon thinking that the rains and slight increase in water flow would turn the bigger bass on. We were wrong, and I only caught 3 more bream and no smallies on saturday. I did catch a very large and fat rockbass that was about 13". I guess the lightning and thunder put them down for the rest of the day. The guys, (Darrin, Mike and Brannon ) had success in the park and caught several fish each.
We had a great supper that night together with everyone and shared stories again of the days fishing adventures. I had to leave saturday night but they had a Sunday morning service before leaving at the campground. I look forward to our next annual get together and fishing with these guys.

I will say that the campground (Misty River) was very nice. It is primarily for RVs but they allow tent camping along the treeline and a very good place for a large group to stay. There is not much shade during the day but plenty of room for tents and we had a group fire ring. They have a pool and probably the best bathhouse of any campground I've seen.
A full report with lots of pictures is being posted on CFF forum.

DarrinG
06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I enjoyed seeing you again this past weekend, Gary. Thanks again for the firewood and all the things you brought for us to use.
Already looking forward to the next outing!

Bran
06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
That's great guys, glad you could get together and have a successful trip. Will be looking for those pics. soon!