PDA

View Full Version : What are you scared of?

jeffnles1
06-18-2010, 10:28 PM
After reading Owl's post about the snake (good for a laugh if you haven't read it yet) got me thinking what are folks scared of?

For me, it's spiders. Any spider. If there is a spider in the house, my wife or son has to kill it. Don't like them, don't want to be around them, and do my best to avoid them. A spider crawling on me will cause me to scream like a little girl and go running flailing my arms about in some kind of "get the spider" dance.

So, what's it with you guys and gals?

Jeff

duckypaddler
06-18-2010, 10:34 PM
When I've been gone fishing too long:eek:

Had a salamander scare the **** out of me Wednesday as it moved when I grabbed a rock and slithered off. That rattler I almost jumped on 2 years ago made me "scream like a little girl". Not really afraid of anything, but the unexpected tends to throp me every now and again.

2weightfavorite
06-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Sasquatch!!! My luck my fishing hole is a favorite spot of someone else...(or something)!! But do not worry, If I should happen to see one, You can bet you butt I will post it on here right away!

caught 108
06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Snakes,I dont like snakes of any kind.If I get to close before I see them they all scare me pretty good.

2weight I could have swore I was following a bigfoot or a man with a huge foot up the creek the other day,I tried to catch it but lost the tracks somewhere.

GrouseMan77
06-19-2010, 08:18 AM
I am only afraid of ticks. I wish each and everyone of them a slow and painful death.

No Hackle
06-19-2010, 09:18 AM
It scares me when the river starts talking to me.
Lynn

MadisonBoats
06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Lynn

That happens to me every time I go!:biggrin:

Snakes scare me if I stumble upon them unexpectedly. Many years ago, I was climbing out of the river between the dam parking lot and the upper canoe launch and came face to face with a beaver in its den. That was interesting...

Rocketroy
06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Lynn
The river, I can handle, even when flooding......now, when Patty starts talking to me.......now, that,s SCEEEEERY! Signed, UNSIGNED!

pmike
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
The possibility of my wife finding out how much all my gear really did cost as compared to what I told her it cost...then too there are those drivers between Florida and Tennessee that try to get in my way as I am driving toward the mountains to fish.

Mike

No Hackle
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
had a beaver come on me one time before daylight down by the log @ millers island. I was trying to ty on a fly in the dark, Look down and a beaver was three feet from me. I screamed like a girl, he made a noise that probly amounted to a scream from a girl beaver and we parted ways with a tail slap. Thats my beaver story and Im sticking to it.
Lynn

mora521
06-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Acid rain and politicians scare me.

jeffnles1
06-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Acid rain and politicians scare me.
:smile: ageeed on the second point...

Streamhound
06-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Snakes of any type

On the streams I can try to stay away from them but we have had them come up through the floor at the house and I cornered one in the basement (unfinished)

Crockett
06-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Breaking a leg or ankle up a remote stream far from a trail. Of course I always let a couple of people know but I realize that no one would probably reach me till the next day and I would be spending the night cold, hurt, and alone more than likely. The thought of that is pretty terrifying for some reason.

ifish4wildtrout
06-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Any kind of snake scares me.

The thought of being mauled and/or eaten by a bear concerns me a bit as well.

psnapp
06-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Wading from above Lewallen back to Church parking lot in an electrical storm and heavy rain like I did this morning --- lightning all around and thunder was deafening. At least 50 yds of paved trail to Church parking lot covered with sycamore bark -- said lot of prayers between the island and the parking lot!

fishndoc
06-19-2010, 10:36 PM
fishing alone on a still cold crisp winter's morning, concentrating on working a slow pool, and a sneaky beaver slips up behind me and .... BANG! :eek: slaps the water with his tail.
No need for any stress test, as I know my heart is OK after surviving that.

dalerio
06-19-2010, 10:59 PM
be afraid be very afraid

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jeffro396/SDC10453.jpg

que the banjo music

not often you see a shaved bigfoot

that's mine

flyman
06-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Clowns, monkeys, Chuck Norris, and Rosie O'Donnell:eek:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/rosie-oterror.jpg

jeffnles1
06-20-2010, 12:15 AM
be afraid be very afraid

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jeffro396/SDC10453.jpg

que the banjo music

not often you see a shaved bigfoot

that's mine

I'm so happy you were not using a polorized filter on your camera. Thank goodness for strategicly located glare on the water.:biggrin:

Jeff

Streamhound
06-20-2010, 10:31 AM
now that we have photos I have new things to fear

Stonefly
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Lynn

Not to change the subject, but have you heard the voices at night when you're camped by the stream? Supposedly it's the Cherokees.

sb

fly fisherman DK
06-21-2010, 12:08 AM
My greatest fear is definitely spiders since I have never liked them at all. I have a similar beaver story to a lot of you alls. In April my dad and I were fishing a lake near our house for crappie and the particular spot we were fishing was a beaver hut in the water. We had seen the beavers all morning when one suddenly popped up on the bank about a foot away from us but he didnt realize we were standing their. Then, my dad poked it with his rod tip, and with a flick of its tail it swam off and left a wake trail.

Owl
06-21-2010, 02:04 AM
If you're hearing the Cherokee, you're camping on Big Cove Rd. Just throw something toward town and tell 'em to keep it down. ;)

Crockett - spending the night in the woods unexpectedly is every bit as bad as you think it might be....but you'll never forget it, I can promise you that!

For me, despite recent events, it's.....

Flying, buzzing insects, especially bees - yellow jackets, wasps or hornets. ( Not so much honey bees or bumble bees).

I will run, dance, flap my arms around, and ( worst of all) squeal like a little girl.

I. Hate. Bees.

Worrgamesguy
06-21-2010, 03:20 AM
I don't know if this was due to fly fishing or not, but insects no longer bother me. From the time I've spent on the stream studying insects to match the hatch, I've learned to appreciate insect life. As a matter of fact, I keep still whenever I feel something walking on me so I can take a look at it. Yesterday I had a bug crawl down my sleeve, and onto my arm, and it was up my forearm before I saw it was a brown recluse. I kept calm, and killed it. Not too often do I get to look at a brown recluse.

But I'd say sudden, unexpected events scare me most. I almost killed myself a couple years ago fishing the Cranberry River in WV. I was boulder hopping down to the river and fishing back to the campsite when I heard a rattle a couple feet above me in the rocks. I turned around, and tried to see it, or at least identify an approximate region it could be in. After a couple minutes, I decided to carefully head up the river, and then hop up to the trail above it. As I was climbing back up to the trail, a friggen lizard jumped out from the black abyss and I ditched all worldly possessions as I flung myself back over the boulders down toward the river. That didn't feel good... at all. I fell about ten feet, got bruised and bloodied, but nothing serious. I still cringe at the sight of that lizard flying past my face.

No Hackle
06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
I do hear it at night, but most of the time its while I'm fishing it says thing like hey!!! or Wow or things Rick Flair would say its always been encouraging. I once caught a 22'' brown by just doing what the stream told me to do. Oh by the way I am completely sane and pretty low key guy. So dont let me scare you. Like the guy said Its the Cherokee's little people.
Lynn

fly fisherman DK
06-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I second Owl on the wasps and yellowjackets since i've gotten stung by way to many of them in my short life. I just can't believe I didn't think about them over the spiders instead.

Bran
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Spiders for sure, don't like the little buggers! Snakes don't bother me atall, and I like to catch them.

Owl
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
As I was climbing back up to the trail, a friggen lizard jumped out from the black abyss and I ditched all worldly possessions as I flung myself back over the boulders down toward the river.

:)

I once almost stepped onto the back of a 4 ft. rattler on the blue ridge parkway at 3 am. Luckily for me, a foot was missing from the front and rear of the (now dead) snake. I still almost jumped three feet, straight back.

flyman
06-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Snakes are an important part of any eco system. We would be overrun with vermin without them. I had one eat my fly one time. I reeled the line in to take the snake off and grabbed the snake to unhook it (last grasshopper I had) and it bit me 2 or 3 times with the fly still in it's mouth. I didn't know it then, but these water snakes have an anticoagulant in their bite. My hand bled like I had cut a vein.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/nepal_flyfishing_guru/IMGP0003_2.jpg

Worrgamesguy
06-22-2010, 12:27 AM
That gives me the shivers. I could care less about how good I was doing, I'd cut the line and skiddaddle.

Rodonthefly
06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Holly CRAP!!!!!! What kind of snake is that? We saw a couple of snakes this weekend while pinnicing at metcalf bottoms, one of which looked like it had aten a trout, the snake was overly fat. My son threw rocks at it, and it didn't bother the snake one bit.

Will those water snakes go after poeple?

Brad O'Luftee
06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Till last month it was bear for me. I've had a couple of streamside bear encounters but last month something really creeped me out.
I've often wondered when dusk fishing if anyone has ever hooked up a flying bat. End of May I joined my son for a quick dusk sesh on a proper sized pool. I was up to the head of it while he was at tail. His girlfriend was watching from the bank rocks. He hollers out that he's snagged another dragonfly like he did the day before but then quickly realized it was a bat.
"I don't know what to do!", he whines. "Hey you're on your own, I'm on to some risers here." He wades out and gives his girlfriend the rod while he rides her bike back to camp for a flashlight and glove and towel. Meanwhile the gf is playing the flying bat with rod out at arms lenght and about 15 feet of line out. Now I'm thinking, " Should I suggest she reel in to gain control with the rascal at the tip-top? Naah, she never take my advise."
My son returns and I can hear them saying things like , "He won't stay still, what do I do, etc..." The flashlight is flailing all over and it seems chaotic over there. Hehehehe, I'm really enjoying this. After a reasonable time of fatherly aloofness I come to see what I can do. "Whoa, there he goes - here he comes, look out!", they shout while scurrying about wildly.
"Y'all, reel him in to tip top", I say with steel coolness and confidence. "Wow, great idea. Why didn't we think of that."
Ok, I take the glove and hemostats and toss a towel over the bat ( he's so tiny and frail looking). But, when I uncover him and go to put my boot on him(gently) he lurches and squeals and flaps up at me and the flashlight flashes his teeth, yikes! I almost released a brown trout in my britches. this thing is creepy as all get out. Shiver me timbers.
Turns out that the hook was snagged in his back. With my boot and towel on him I got the hook out and tossed him to the grass with the gloved hand. he flew about 6ft and then laid in the grass to rest. We came back a bit later and he was gone.
It was scarier and creepier than my bear encounter, brrrrrrr.....

Mundele
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I have to agree with Crockett. It'd be way too easy to slip on a rock and break a leg and be stuck somewhere out of the way. A lot of times while fishing I'll be so focused on casting (or untangling my leader :) ) that I don't notice where I'm standing. I'll look down and be on the edge of a slick rock above a big drop off.

If you did get hurt by the water it'd be almost impossible for someone to hear you over the noise of the water. Even being 50 yards off of a main road or trail might as well be 5 miles if you're injured. Add in some cold water or cool weather and the risk of hypothermia makes it even scarier.

I always carry basic survival stuff (flashlight, emergency bivy/blanket, knife, matches, etc) just in case, but I should probably be more diligent about leaving a note for folks with my whereabouts and when I plan to return.

--Matt

Carolina Boy
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Not into bats or snakes a bit, but on the mention of your survival stuff, I would add a whistle, you will wear yourself out fast yelling and ain't no one gonna hear you. I have a little pin whistle off my pack but check em cause I looked the other day and the insidy parts fell out I guess, would hate to need it and find out the hard way.

Trip
06-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Clowns, nothing is scarier than those guys with the red wig, big red nose, and floppy shoes when they come stumbling out of the woods.

Owl
06-22-2010, 04:14 PM
On the whistle, make sure you get one that does not have the little ball in it which can freeze, stick etc. You can find those types of whistles at specialty retailers like REI, or any well-stocked hiking store.

Owl
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Holly CRAP!!!!!! What kind of snake is that? We saw a couple of snakes this weekend while pinnicing at metcalf bottoms, one of which looked like it had aten a trout, the snake was overly fat. My son threw rocks at it, and it didn't bother the snake one bit.

Will those water snakes go after poeple?

No, no....snakes don't chase people down, no matter what screaming women ( or nutty flyfishers who break rods ) tell you. :)

I think the snake probably thought my rod was just another branch.

tlshealy
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
[No, no....snakes don't chase people down]

I take it that you haven't been around too many cotton mouths, cause if they don't chase people you couldn't prove it by me! Well maybe they don't really chase people, but they are very aggressive and unafraid of people. They scare me and I ain't afraid of nuthin (except big smoky mountain wolf spiders)
Tad

jeffnles1
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
[No, no....snakes don't chase people down]

I take it that you haven't been around too many cotton mouths, cause if they don't chase people you couldn't prove it by me! Well maybe they don't really chase people, but they are very aggressive and unafraid of people. They scare me and I ain't afraid of nuthin (except big smoky mountain wolf spiders)
Tad
I ran into a spider last week while out fishing. It wasn't too big, about the size of my thumb nail, but I still jumped out of my skin when I looked up and its web was about 5" in front of my nose.

Maybe if I find a stream I really like, I'll post here that it is plumb full of big spiders.:biggrin:

Jeff

Knothead
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Bees, as I am highly allergic to their stings. During warm weather, I carry an Epi-pen and a benedryl tablet, JIC. I have been in the park many times over the years and have only seen three snakes. I talked with a retired FS employee that gave me the news that there is at least one murder somewhere on the AT every year. Usually for money or credit cards. Kind of wonder why we never hear of them?

Tarheelflyfishing
06-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Venomous snakes and yellow jackets tend to scare me the most. I've run into both plenty of times unfortunately.

Worrgamesguy
06-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Till last month it was bear for me. I've had a couple of streamside bear encounters but last month something really creeped me out.
I've often wondered when dusk fishing if anyone has ever hooked up a flying bat. End of May I joined my son for a quick dusk sesh on a proper sized pool. I was up to the head of it while he was at tail. His girlfriend was watching from the bank rocks. He hollers out that he's snagged another dragonfly like he did the day before but then quickly realized it was a bat.
"I don't know what to do!", he whines. "Hey you're on your own, I'm on to some risers here." He wades out and gives his girlfriend the rod while he rides her bike back to camp for a flashlight and glove and towel. Meanwhile the gf is playing the flying bat with rod out at arms lenght and about 15 feet of line out. Now I'm thinking, " Should I suggest she reel in to gain control with the rascal at the tip-top? Naah, she never take my advise."
My son returns and I can hear them saying things like , "He won't stay still, what do I do, etc..." The flashlight is flailing all over and it seems chaotic over there. Hehehehe, I'm really enjoying this. After a reasonable time of fatherly aloofness I come to see what I can do. "Whoa, there he goes - here he comes, look out!", they shout while scurrying about wildly.
"Y'all, reel him in to tip top", I say with steel coolness and confidence. "Wow, great idea. Why didn't we think of that."
Ok, I take the glove and hemostats and toss a towel over the bat ( he's so tiny and frail looking). But, when I uncover him and go to put my boot on him(gently) he lurches and squeals and flaps up at me and the flashlight flashes his teeth, yikes! I almost released a brown trout in my britches. this thing is creepy as all get out. Shiver me timbers.
Turns out that the hook was snagged in his back. With my boot and towel on him I got the hook out and tossed him to the grass with the gloved hand. he flew about 6ft and then laid in the grass to rest. We came back a bit later and he was gone.
It was scarier and creepier than my bear encounter, brrrrrrr.....

I love bats? Maybe it is because I'm a Halloween baby? But my dad and I were fishing under Center Hill dam at dawn when a wave of bats swooped down out of the hills to munch on all the bugs flying around (LOTS of bugs). It was really cool watching them duck and dive to catch their food.

This was a couple years ago, before I started fly fishing, so I was using my spin setup casting Powerbait and letting it sit. Sure enough, a couple hit my line and I thought I had bites, but one hit my rod tip. The tip flexed, caught him, and threw him into the water like a slingshot. He was flopping around and screeching, so I got out the small mesh net, and scooped him into it. Turned it over on the shelf at the front of our jon boat and he calmly walked around drying off. He paced back and forth flapping his wings to dry them, stopping occasionally to breathe. I got close enough to see his nostrils flare when he breathed, didn't bother me a bit, I'm fascinated by bats. When he was good and dry, he flew off and resumed feasting.

rivergal
06-23-2010, 06:48 PM
pit bulldogs, mama bears with cubs, falling on slick rocks, poisonous snakes,
tick bites, poison ivy, poison oak, chiggers, yellow jackets, hornets, and getting too old to fish.

Streamhound
06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Getting too old to fish? Now I have something else to fear. This thread is giving me new things to fear all the time

Rog 1
06-24-2010, 10:59 AM
After being visited by two armed enforcement Park Rangers last week while camping in Elkmont for having been left a warning for leaving a small empty cooler under our camper and not having locked up several pots and plates....I now fear being shackled by the law.

Brad O'Luftee
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Daggum revenoors. I'll put knots on their heads faster than they can rub em!

flyman
06-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Did you get "lawed" Rog 1 ? ;)

waterwolf
06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Cows, seriously I have an extreme fear of cattle and other forms of domesticated live stock.

Other then that not much. I like snakes and don't mind spiders.

Grannyknot
06-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Bees & Needles.
The worst part is that if I get stung enough times, I will have to give myself a shot.

Rog 1
06-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Flyman....we got "written" up twice for food violations...two days running while we were off fishing...campers above us kept pouring their grey water in the woods, kept a cooler in the back of their pickup uncovered and the campers below us ran their generator until after 10pm each night...I have camped in Elkmont for 35 years without any other problems from rangers or bears...the rangers who paid us our final visit even drove by our campsite before we turned in for the night...and no Rog is not short for Rogero and I do have my papers.

diamonddave7676
06-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Mice!!! I hate mice and dont even like a dead one. Usually the GF has to throw a mouse away if caught on a trap. I will scream like a little girl and stand on the chair if I see one most of the time. LOL I also dont care for snakes if I don't know they are there and am slightly scared of heights.

Rodonthefly
06-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Cows, seriously I have an extreme fear of cattle and other forms of domesticated live stock.

Other then that not much. I like snakes and don't mind spiders.

That's the funniest thing I have ever heard you say! You big baby:biggrin:

flyfishsim
06-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets... because I'm highly allergic to the little bastards! I always have my epipen, but that's only a quick fix. I had a business associate, 49 years old and avid runner, who ran over a nest of yellowjackets with his mower....was dead before anyone could call 911. So if you think you might be allergic, get to the doctor and get a prescription for an epipen!

Owl
06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
After being visited by two armed enforcement Park Rangers last week while camping in Elkmont for having been left a warning for leaving a small empty cooler under our camper and not having locked up several pots and plates....I now fear being shackled by the law.

Well, they can get me too then, because I've left a cooler out before that had nothing but ice and water in it. Guess I won't be doing that anymore, simply to avoid the harassment.

As for them being armed, that wouldn't bother me too much. I suppose my wife and I could always compare sidearms with them, although theirs would inevitably be nicer.
;) lol