PDA

View Full Version : Watauga River

tnfishingfanatic
06-21-2010, 11:31 PM
I will be up in Johnson City next week to float the Watauga a few times in my Seaeagle Foldcat. I need some information on what midges typically work up there this time of year. Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

ChemEAngler
06-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I hear they are taking #6 salmonfly patterns very aggressively now.

:p

tnfishingfanatic
06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Gee thanks... I was just about to use a #4

Trav

ChemEAngler
06-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Scott,

Check out CFFF (which I know you are a member of), and secondly Southeast Fly Fishing Forum. Those two forums typically have more reports from the Tri-cities area than you will find here.

On a side note, we may need to get you to a doctor about your multiple personality disorder.... :biggrin:

afoshie
07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
stripper midges work well all year round size 18 this time of year also soft hackles in the riffles, bwo still early in morning and sulphers in the evening, split backs are a good dropper to use

Rainbow Warrior
07-04-2010, 06:32 PM
When I was up there in April black and red zebra midges in size 18-20 worked great as a dropper off a #14 pheasant tail. Stripping soft hackle pheasant tails around structure produced a bunch of browns. Also used #18 Griffaths gnat which worked for a few risers.

tnfishingfanatic
07-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the information. I ended up taking my grandpa with me down the river. The SeaEagle Foldcat performed very well on it's first trip on a river. I ended up on the oars the entire trip so I didn't get to fish as much. But we managed to catch several fish. The spot I really wanted fish down from smallings road bridge was being fished heavy by a guide. But we both had a good time and I am just fortunate enough to still take my grandpa fishing. This is my favorite river in East TN just based on all the scenery and all the fish you see while floating down river.

I was initially going to float it two or three times, but I had to get a new AC unit put in at the house. I am glad I went midweek, cause it like a theme park ride on the weekends!