PDA

View Full Version : New reel suggestion

Worrgamesguy
06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm buying another outfit, and want a cheap, quality reel. On LRO, I'm looking at the Orvis Clearwater IV for $49 or the Ross Flystarts 3 or 4 for $60 and $65 respectively.

I've got an Orvis BBS III on my 5 WT, and enjoy it immensely, but I don't want to drop another $100+ on a reel. Should I buy another spool for it? At $59 for a new spool, I figure I might as well buy a completely new reel.

Keep in mind that I am a college student, and this is going to be a pricey purchase for me. I've got limited money, and I don't want to get a job until I leave for the Air Force after this summer.

Owl
06-22-2010, 03:57 PM
"and want a cheap, quality reel."

You should meet my wife, who wants something great, but always for cheap. :) LOL

As to the Orvis or Ross, find them somewhere and fiddle with them. For me, it's always been an easier choice if I can get my hands on a reel before buying.

As for going into the AF - thank you, and God Bless you! America needs young people who are willing to serve.

Worrgamesguy
06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
I need to make a day trip to go fish in the Smokies soon, I could always stop by LRO. Cumberland Transit doesn't have as big of a selection, so I don't know if they'd have these reels.

I know the saying "you get what you pay for" and believe in it, but I also know there are those exceptions that are worth their weight in gold. Paintball is another hobby of mine, and I know the $1000+ guns are wicked, but I also know of a few sub-$500 guns that perform just as well.

Thanks for your support, I hope I can make it through basic. I dislocated my knee 3 years ago and it's still giving me trouble.

tlshealy
06-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I bought an Orvis Clearwater and have been somewhat disappointed, I actually like my Cabela's Prestige Plus reel better for the same money.
Tad

Worrgamesguy
06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Any reason for that? Elaborate please.

tlshealy
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
The drag is not very smooth so line doesn't come off well and it's very noisy so I had to switch the click pawl position to quiet it down. When you reel in the line there is always a little slack before the drag catches. Mine is a Clearwater II and it's on a 3 wt TFO so it's not a big deal it's not like I'm fighting fish on the reel, i was just a little disappointed after I put it on my rod. But go try some out, I'm sure LRO could spool some reels up for you to try.
Tad

flyred06
06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Look into one of the temple fork reels or one of the lamson KOnnics.

jeffnles1
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
I have one of the Ross Flystart reels and it's a decent reel for the money. Drag is passable, it's well built and it's given me no problems. It's been dropped and banged up a bit but it stil lkeeps on working.

The drag adjustment isn't as fine as say my Ross Evo or Ross Rhythm reels, but it's a perfectly functional reel.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Worrgamesguy
06-23-2010, 03:08 AM
The drag is not very smooth so line doesn't come off well and it's very noisy so I had to switch the click pawl position to quiet it down. When you reel in the line there is always a little slack before the drag catches. Mine is a Clearwater II and it's on a 3 wt TFO so it's not a big deal it's not like I'm fighting fish on the reel, i was just a little disappointed after I put it on my rod. But go try some out, I'm sure LRO could spool some reels up for you to try.
Tad

Thanks for the heads up. This is going on a 7 WT, so a decent drag is kind of important...

Look into one of the temple fork reels or one of the lamson KOnnics.

I think those are out of my price range? Noted anyways, thanks.

I have one of the Ross Flystart reels and it's a decent reel for the money. Drag is passable, it's well built and it's given me no problems. It's been dropped and banged up a bit but it stil lkeeps on working.

The drag adjustment isn't as fine as say my Ross Evo or Ross Rhythm reels, but it's a perfectly functional reel.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Certainly does! Thanks!

MadisonBoats
06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm buying another outfit, and want a cheap, quality reel.

I would ask myself what you plan on doing with this new set-up? Is it going to be an all around set-up or something specialized. That should help you focus some of the particulars in deciding on a reel.

My recommendation would be to buy an economy reel with extra spools. I do not like unseating my reel too much. Not sure why; probably just the laziness of me...:rolleyes: I do like being able to quickly release the spool and drop in a different line set-up for streamer, color change, etc.

Also, I am pretty hard and demanding on my equipment. I drop the reel in the water and rest it on rocks often. I would be a bit different if I had a nice Tibor Reel or something in that range. But, I purposely do not use a set up like that so that I can be more free to fish.

I would wiggle the spool and see if it has any play. If it does; bad choice. Your line will get hung in the frame eventually. Take the spool off the reel and look at the drag mechanics. Little cheap springs and thin levers break easily. Also, I like vented openings and holes for quick drying of my line. Not a big fan of closed systems. Fat-body reels seem to kink up my line when I am stripping of line in a hurry.

For someone on a college budget; I believe this is the best fly reel out there and extremely durable.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_25189_175001000_175000000_175001000_175-1-0

tjw37909
06-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a clearwater and a bbs3. I would buy another spool for the bbs3 if I were you. Smoky Mountain Angler had a good sale: 50% off any reels that were changed from last years models. I just bought a Lamson Velocity half price there and like it much more than the bbs.

RFork
06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I would buy another spool. No reason to downgrade in reels when you can just buy another spool and use a nicer reel. Search on google and you can also find the spools cheaper.

silvercreek
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
If you are going to use a double taper line that BBS III may not leave you much room for backing. A weight forward 7 will help, but you still may not have much backing. I'd check on that before purchase. If you are comfortable with the line capacity, then I would o the spare spool route. Silvercreek

Troutman
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
If you want cheap quality , then get a China made Pflueger Medalist for about $30. If you want a good quality LA reel for under $50 that will handle bass, carp and smaller stripers, then get a BPS Hobbs Creek for $40.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44558_175001001_175000000_175001000?cmCat= CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Worrgamesguy
06-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Alright here's my thoughts. I'm looking to put together a 7 WT combo that is reasonably priced, but is worth it's dollar value. I don't want to pay $30-$50 if it's not going to last me more than a season reliably. I'll pay the extra $50+ dollars just to have a dependable reel.

I'm planning on using streamers for large browns, fishing for carp/buffalo, and chasing stripers with Mr. Knapp. I may also be visiting my aunt in Ohio, which has steelhead, so that may be a future use for the 7 WT.

David brought up the point that I need a good drag, so I might as well buy a more expensive reel now to save me the anguish of losing a fish because of a broken reel.

I know there are those certain rods and reels that hold their own against higher priced gear. My setup right now is a TFO Pro 9' 5 WT, Orvis BBS III, and Orvis Easy Mend line. It's PERFECT, wonderful to cast and use, and I definitely didn't break the bank. The TFO Pro is a lot of rod for $150, and is comparable to $300+ rods as far as quality and ease of casting goes.

I'm looking at possibly getting another TFO Pro because I've been so happy with mine, but I'd kinda like some variation with my new setup. So I've also been looking at St. Croix Imperial rods, I've heard they're very similar to Sage rods.

bronzeback
06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
I know it's out of your price range but this year I got a Lamson Konic 7-8wt. for $139. I did alot of looking around and 5 star reviews everywhere I looked. A guy that works at LRO told me he thought it had just as good of drag if not better than the the Orvis Battenkill I was also looking at priced at $240. I love this reel just havn't got to hook into a big whipper yet to try the drag out lol. Hope this helps since you said you'd rather spend 50 more and get a better quality reel.

And the armed forces are way under payed in my opinion. My brother in law was in the army and he is goin to collage right now and it takes him every penny 2 get by.

Worrgamesguy
06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
I've pretty much settled on the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV, it's $149 and comes in multiple colors, which I like.

I agree about military pay, but you also live for free... Yeah, I might make $1500 a month, but everything is free except for car insurance and car payments. It's a very manageable life. And did he not get the GI Bill? That's $50,000 for college. Did he live a lavish life while enlisted, and not save? That's what a couple of my buddies did, buy cars, alcohol, and have girlfriends every week. They lived like kings for 4 years, but had nothing to show for it after.

bronzeback
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I guess you could say he did some of that stuff and I hate to say it about him since he was my best friend before I married his sister now in law I think hes just to lazy to work LOL. Glad to see a soldier with his head on his shoulders.

Worrgamesguy
06-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I mean, I'm gonna do a lot of that, but I'm also going to save at least $2,000 a year. One of the only things that stuck with me through all 4 years of high school was compound interest. There was a poster on my Algebra I room's door, freshman year, that had two columns. One was a boy who saved $2,000 every year since he was 19, until the age of 26. The other column was a different boy who didn't save until he was 26, and put in $2,000 until he retired, and never came close to the total the first boy had.

ttas67
06-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I'd check out the redington reels. Redington makes decent stuff.

Worrgamesguy
06-27-2010, 02:50 AM
I had to jump on this, I couldn't pass it up. This was my dilemma:

Buy a TFO Pro 9' 7 WT ($159), Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV ($149), and SA Mastery line ($47) from LRO. Totalling $355, it kinda defeated my "cheap, reliable 7 WT" option. I need to support LRO in order to ensure they are around for many moons to come, but I just couldn't put up that kind of cash.

I ended up buying a St. Croix Imperial 9' 7 WT, Redington Crosswater reel, and SA Mastery line for $242. I'm not too big on the Redington, so I'm planning on selling it so I can get the Orvis Mid Arbor IV.

Crockett
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I bought one of those TFO "kits" from LRO last year it was like $200 for an awesome TFO rod, reel, fly line already on it and all. I wanted a different reel so this year I found an okuma sierra reel on ebay with backing and line already on it for around $27. I got it in the mail a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. Never will need anything else for the smokies I think. Now tailwaters or ocean fishing it might not work as good.