PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Bald/North river

dgames18
06-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I will be in the Tellico Plains area in early July with my son and a friend from college who has fished in the area.

A few questions -
What flies?

Are dry fly with bead head dropper a pretty standard rig for these streams?

Is the casting really tight? I am wondering if my son will struggle trying to fish there.

Is wet wading the way to go?

In researching where to go, I was originally looking at fishing somewhere in SMNP before my friend offered to meet at Tellico. In doing that research on this board, I was a little freaked out from all the timber rattler pics and bear encounters. Will these be a concern on the Bald?

Thanks for any help.

buzzmcmanus
06-22-2010, 08:29 PM
What flies? Elk hair caddis, size 16, yellow/tan/brown

Dry with dropper? I hate droppers. If they are hitting the dry, clip off the dropper.

Casting tight? If I can cast in these streams, anyone can.

Wet wading? Definately. You'll burn up in waders.

Bears and snakes? They're all over East TN. If you don't look for them, you won't find them. The bears in South Cherokee are hunted, so they've developed a healthy respect for humans. The ones that didn't, are now called rugs.

Have a good time. The place is wonderful.

tennswede
06-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Here's my two cents, I don't want to rain on your parade but I will say this in order to save you some frustration. Bring a thermometer, Bald can be warm at times. This is especially true in July and especially this year. We are going on 11 days with 90 plus temps. Although the Bald is in the mountains it is fairly low elevation. Fish early or very late. Depending on what type of fishing you would like I can give you some alternatives. Drop me a line at ahlstedt@knology.net.

As for your specific questions; Buzz gave you good advice, I tend to like a yellow stimulator size 14 somewhat oversized wings. This is so it float high and easy to see. Size 14 is all you need.

Owl
06-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I would suggest you find a good smallie stream if you want decent action in a place where you can cast without the tight quarters. ( seriously)

flyman
06-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Owl,
What are a couple small mouth streams you would recommend in that area?

Owl
06-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Flyman, I don't believe I said I knew of any, but I'm fairly sure I could do some searching online to find a few within an hour or two of that location. I believe that the Tellico has red-eye bass in it in the lower reaches, and the Hiwassee probably has some red-eyes or smallies in the lower sections, but I've only fished there three times or so in the early 90's when we were on vacation near Soddy Daisy/Tellico Plains and caught red-eyes on accident, not knowing that the upper sections were better for trout fishing. From searching online, it appears that a drive up the Holston would produce some smallmouth water.

I only suggested that would be a way to catch some fish that are not as prone to warm water problems, and gain some casting room. Perhaps you know of some for the fellow? (As I'm sure that was your point in asking...right?)

Seriously, if you want to have some sort of argument with me about whatever legitimate beef you have with me, why don't you just come on over to BRTB and speak your mind. (Assuming you are not already the LRO user I've had to ban.) These pot-shots you've taken at me over the last few months are exactly the kind of interactions that I recently said I was happy not to find on LRO's boards. Your posts meant to belittle and berate me for whatever reason, are becoming the exception to that statement. To anyone not familiar with our history, your statements seem innocuous enough, and you always make sure you leave yourself an out...." Oh, I was just asking if you knew any rivers...blah,blah,blah."

Please stop using the forum, and other people's threads to launch your subtle jabs. Come over to BRTB and we'll discuss anything you like, on your very own thread! Now, isn't that special.

flyman
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I really was just asking, I never have fished that area but once or twice. Just too much good water between me and there. Now about all this other stuff:biggrin: What is a BRTB anyway?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/Drayasha/Motivational%20Posters/paranoid.jpg

kmills
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I caught 11 rainbows on the Bald Saturday before last (down river from the bridge past Holly Flats campground) and used a cadis never sink exclusively. I had a tellico bh nymph on part of the time, but ever got a hit on the dropper.

psnapp
06-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I will be in the Tellico Plains area in early July with my son and a friend from college who has fished in the area.

A few questions -
What flies?

Are dry fly with bead head dropper a pretty standard rig for these streams?

Is the casting really tight? I am wondering if my son will struggle trying to fish there.

Is wet wading the way to go?

In researching where to go, I was originally looking at fishing somewhere in SMNP before my friend offered to meet at Tellico. In doing that research on this board, I was a little freaked out from all the timber rattler pics and bear encounters. Will these be a concern on the Bald?

Thanks for any help.

dgames -- Elk hair caddis, stimulators and attractors such as Royal Wulff should be fine. As far as your son being able to fish the Bald, he should do fine if he can roll cast and lay out just a few yds of line. Bears in that area are easily spooked -- they shouldn't be a concern.

buster55
06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
I was there 2 weeks ago and the fishing was a little slow for everyone I talked to. I think it was temperature related. That said, all of the recommendations about flies are right on. You might consider going high up the North River. I assume the water temperature will be a little better, but you can't cast very well. Usually just flip your fly into a pool from behind a tree. All of that said, even if you don't catch too many, it is a wonderful place to be. The trail along the Bald is great. There are a lot of nice pools perfect for a mid-day swim.

Have fun!

Buster55

dgames18
06-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the input. I hhope to catch some fish and as much as anything, am looking forward to being back in the mountains.

Sounds like dries will usually catch fish as long as the water doesn't get too hot. I had wondered that if the water got really hot, would I be better off going up in elevation (although I assume the stream gets smaller which might make the temps worse) or dropping down into the Tellico (even though I understand it is mostly stockers).

I am looking forward to it.

tennswede
06-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Actually, higher is what you want, smaller water doesn't matter, it's the elevation that is the key. One of the previous posters kind of confirmed what I was afraid of. You can get some tough conditions on Bald river. High up on North would be better in my opinion.

Owl
06-24-2010, 12:35 AM
And at the risk of being challenged again, I'll agree with Swede. Higher elevation and a canopy are better than lower streams with open casting( for water temps). Generally speaking though, the higher you go in elevation and the more canopy you get, the tighter the conditions for real casting and the more you may have to resort to roll casting or even a bow-n-arrow technique. I said "generally" because one of my all time favorite trout streams in the Southeast is at a very high elevation - however, it is almost completely devoid of any sort of meaningful canopy along most of it's length.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

txbrown
06-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Para Adams, TN Wulffs and Green Weenies. Bears are not really an issue. Beware of the snakes. :eek: Lots of copperheads and rattlers out this time of year, especially in the higher elevations.